The MT-07 Forum

Brake Pads

rhino

Anyone have experience between the EBC EPFA and the Brembo SC brake pads?

Street and track ride the bike and currently have the EBC EPFA. No issue on the track, but the pads do lack some initial bite on the street.

Can't comment on the EBC but I have the Brembo SC and am happy with them. They're fine on street and track once properly bed in.

• Global Moderator

There have been a few guys on the forum who have the EBC pads and I have heard only good things about them.  Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will chime in. 

• Premium Member
botticelli

I have used em. The EBC have a bit more initial bite on the street, but honestly I have yet to find a better pad than the OEM. Its great for the track, the street, no fade, and the price is right.

The EBC's stay strong for long but when they go its all at once. The feel changed and they were in the trash bucket.

OEMs for me, if it aint broke .....

• Like 1

'16 FZ07

EBC's are known to increase the wear on discs , but not consistant for all bikes. Disc material matters so if they are fine they are fine.

My preferred pads for the track were Bendix Carbon Metallics( track /street) or Carbon ( RACE ONLY!!! they are shet on the street). Best brake feedback I have ever had when bedded in properly. Very easy on discs and wet feel changes to soften the initial bit , so it help with the front end stability.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

GG rated pads seem to be best all around performance... 

a good mod would be running bigger rotors for more stopping power for those who prefer to use the front brakes like a crotch rocket... suspension setup also effects brake performance... 

I still got OEM pads/rotors after 17k miles, rear brakes look more worn than front...

1o4rox.png

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

scratchpad

On this bike nothing more than OEM brake pads are needed even in the fastest race conditions. I raced on the first set for 2 seasons before i changed to Galfer. We have Galfer lines on the front as well. Never had fading with OEM or Galfer. The brakes are good on this bike. I know that doesnt answer your question. 

If you want intial bite buy some Vesrahs. Watch out though, you might end up on your head.

18 hours ago, norcal616 said:

GG rated pads seem to be best all around performance... 

a good mod would be running bigger rotors for more stopping power for those who prefer to use the front brakes like a crotch rocket... suspension setup also effects brake performance... 

I still got OEM pads/rotors after 17k miles, rear brakes look more worn than front...

1o4rox.png

I have just over 30k on mine and they still perform well. I wouldn't think of using anything else. Well, maybe steel braided line but that's it and that's really not necessary either.

Beemer

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

I have just over 30k on mine and they still perform well. I wouldn't think of using anything else. Well, maybe steel braided line but that's it and that's really not necessary either.

I agree that for normal riding they're not really needed but I've also seen how fast the Florida heat takes out rubber wiper blades....and I very well could be way off base here, but I'd feel more confident with  steel braided lines. But unfortunately they do not yet make a name brand kit for U.S. ABS FZ-07 models that I've been able to find for sale here in the U.S.. I'm hoping with the addition of the all ABS 2018 U.S. MT-07 models  that will change and that the kit will work on my 2017.

Edited by DewMan

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I agree that for normal riding they're not really needed but I've also seen how fast the Florida heat takes out rubber wiper blades....and I very well could be way off base here, but I'd feel more confident with  steel braided lines. But unfortunately they do not yet make a name brand kit for ABS FZ-07 models that I've been able to find for sale here in the U.S.. I'm hoping with the addition of the all ABS 2018 U.S. MT-07 models  that will change and that the kit will work on my 2017.

might be a problem... the ABS units require a dealership tool to active/cycle the ABS unit if air gets inside during brake line replacement/upgrade...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, norcal616 said:

might be a problem... the ABS units require a dealership tool to active/cycle the ABS unit if air gets inside during brake line replacement/upgrade...

Yeah I've heard that. I've also watched numerous videos that cover how to do that without taking your bike to the dealer but none specific to the FZ-07.

From the research I've done on the subject,  the issue is getting old fluid flushed from the ABS pump. There are ways to get that done without taking it to the dealer. Though I won't list those methods here since I've not used any of the methods yet and don't want to recommend any of them until I've confirmed any of them will work on the MT/FZ-07.  One method is a simple jumper wire and key manipulation process that engages the ABS pump. I'm hoping by the time they make a steel braided  kit I can get my hands on there'll be a proper documented method specific to the MT-07. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, DewMan said:

I agree that for normal riding they're not really needed but I've also seen how fast the Florida heat takes out rubber wiper blades....and I very well could be way off base here, but I'd feel more confident with  steel braided lines. But unfortunately they do not yet make a name brand kit for U.S. ABS FZ-07 models that I've been able to find for sale here in the U.S.. I'm hoping with the addition of the all ABS 2018 U.S. MT-07 models  that will change and that the kit will work on my 2017.

Call Speigler to see if they are working on a ABS FZ-07 kit.  I mean, it's only Yamaha's best selling bike....  :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, blackout said:

Call Speigler to see if they are working on a ABS FZ-07 kit.  I mean, it's only Yamaha's best selling bike....  :)

Yeah, I did. They wouldn't admit to anything.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

18 hours ago, DewMan said:

Yep, my blades don't hold up too long either. I got to looking around for rubber protectants and ran across this stuff. It appears many people love it. It's solvent free and lanolin based so it helps to keep rubber parts soft/supple in the heat, prolonging their life. I checked out some videos on you tube where people used it on their undercarriages of their vehicles and the stuff really works well and doesn't damage anything. It's particularly good for electronics (exposed end connectors) where moisture and salt are present in the air. Boaters should want this badly. Enough said, here's a link for it. I'm getting some for my bicycles that are rusting outside if for nothing else. I'll try some on my brake lines and wiper blades also.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubricant-Corrosion-Inhibitor-11-75-oz/dp/B00PWZ0XNM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530796145&sr=8-3&keywords=fluid+film

• Like 1

Beemer

Installed the Brembo SC on the weekend, and feel they have a much great initial bite then the  EBC EPFA.  IRC similar to the OEM or the EBC HH pads

Next track day isnt till August 5 & 6, so will need to wait till then to compare track performance.

• 1 month later...

I went for a ride today, and was really liking my EBC HH pads over the OEM ones on the front discs. I have had the EBC pads for about 1300 miles which means that I am use to them, but for some reason today I remembered just how lame the stock ones were.

I don't get how some folks think the OEM pads are the best. I never did a thing other then change the pads as in no fluid change, bleeding or braided steel lines. So it really was an apple-to-apple comparison, and the OEMs sucked!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch
On 8/29/2018 at 3:10 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I went for a ride today, and was really liking my EBC HH pads over the OEM ones on the front discs. I have had the EBC pads for about 1300 miles which means that I am use to them, but for some reason today I remembered just how lame the stock ones were.

I don't get how some folks think the OEM pads are the best. I never did a thing other then change the pads as in no fluid change, bleeding or braided steel lines. So it really was an apple-to-apple comparison, and the OEMs sucked!

maybe yamahaha changed pads at some point?  i have stock pads. they fade. i ordered braided lines and new hh pads when i got back from the last track day.

-HowWorkClutch

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 3:16 PM, DewMan said:

I just emailed them and this was their response: Unfortunately we do not have this model, you can either use the Custom Brake Line section of our website to spec out the lines yourself , or you can send the OEM lines in to us for duplication . Unfortunately because we do not have a template to go off of those would be the only options at this time.

38C91432-0F3A-4D2E-899E-89F4264553DA.png

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Iv'e heard nothing but good things about HH sintered pads, on another note, I changed my brake lines to SS Galfer front and rear along with Motul DOT 5.1fluid. The rear stays similar to OEM which I'm okay with as I don't want to be locking the rear with a slight difference in pedal pressure. 

As for the front, Ohh My what a difference, I put Dunlop Q3+ front and rear, scrubbed them in on Arkansas highway 12, I've put 300 miles on them so far. I had a couple of clear straight parts of road, wound it on WOT in 3rd 30- 55 MPH and got on the front as hard as I could, progressively. I managed to get the front tyre squealing as it was searching for traction, the back of the bike was probably in the air, but it didn't feel like a stoppie as I wasn't trying to load the front with my body weight. I have to address the suspension which may have been a factor, I'm sure it was. I still running OEM springs, fork oil, no service ,on a 2015, 185 LBS with gear. 

I had  32F/33R psi cold, after an aggressive scoot through highway 12 -27 about 30 or so miles I had a hot psi of 35F/37R. I adjusted to 35F/35R as I'm not racing or on the track where Dunlop recommend 35F/34R HOT!!!!!

My point is: I honestly don't see the need for the HH sintered as the OEM I have are 21,000 miles in and have plenty left on them. The change from OEM lines to Galfer SS is night and day. I'm not saying that HH sintered pads are bad, I haven't tried them. I'm saying the SS lines from Galfer made a huge difference and I can't imagine having more brakes, without other changes happening in the set-up of the bike.

I changed to Galfer SS lines and sintered pads. My Bike is a 2017 with 1500 miles. When I removed the oem pads on the rear they each had a deep gash.   Breaking is fine but the gash in the pads is probably why I felt something  wasn't  quite right