The MT-07 Forum

ECU reflash made my bike less fun?- FIXED UPDATED

captainkool4

captainkool4

Stock 2018mt07 

Just got the Flash from 2wdw

Took the bike for a spin, and...its not as fun.  Before, in 2nd gear my bike felt like it really pulled from 20-60mph, and now it feels like I just end up there but without that feeling of being pulled forward.

The engine braking is still there, but it's weaker. and the on off throttle jerkiness is still pretty apparent.

Mostly I miss the way it felt to accelerate.  Have you guys had this experience?

• Global Moderator

My bike was way better after the flash, I would never go back to the sick ECU.  You should contact 2wdw.  Maybe they used a flash for a different configuration of intake/exhaust. 

yeah, this doesn't sound right. Something is wrong.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

I have to say, I also couldn't imagine going back to stock ECU, mine came alive after 2wdw did their magic. I run stock pipe (everything) and its night and day, the difference between factory/2wdw flash. Agree with @mjh937 contact them at 2wdw, their really good with their customer service and very professional about how they approach customers concerns.

FZ07R WaNaB
1 hour ago, captainkool4 said:

Mostly I miss the way it felt to accelerate.  Have you guys had this experience?

I definitely had most of the experiences you have - my bike was definitely not as fun/spastic. I would suggest that you ride it for at least 100 miles before you do anything. What I discovered was that my bike was every bit, if not more, quick as it was pre-flash. The acceleration was just so smooth that it seemed as though it wasn't a devil child anymore. Once I got use to the new power delivery, I love it, and I too, would not go back to stock. The one thing you said "the on off throttle jerkiness is still pretty apparent" was not something I experienced. That on/off crap went away with the flash, and fortunately, so did the engine breaking. But I will stress again that I was not happy with the flash at first as it lost most of it's in-your-face holliganism. The tradeoff was well worth it as I know longer have to work at riding it.

captainkool4
15 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I definitely had most of the experiences you have - my bike was definitely not as fun/spastic. I would suggest that you ride it for at least 100 miles before you do anything. What I discovered was that my bike was every bit, if not more, quick as it was pre-flash. The acceleration was just so smooth that it seemed as though it wasn't a devil child anymore. Once I got use to the new power delivery, I love it, and I too, would not go back to stock. The one thing you said "the on off throttle jerkiness is still pretty apparent" was not something I experienced. That on/off crap went away with the flash, and fortunately, so did the engine breaking. But I will stress again that I was not happy with the flash at first as it lost most of it's in-your-face holliganism. The tradeoff was well worth it as I know longer have to work at riding it.

So if you turn the throttle down, then back on, the bike doesn't jerk?  For me it feels like it still jerks every time I reduce the throttle a lot, and then reengage it.  And you have no engine braking?  For instance I can slow down from like 30mph to 18mph easy just reducing the throttle in second.

FZ07R WaNaB
3 minutes ago, captainkool4 said:

So if you turn the throttle down, then back on, the bike doesn't jerk?  For me it feels like it still jerks every time I reduce the throttle a lot, and then reengage it.  And you have no engine braking?  For instance I can slow down from like 30mph to 18mph easy just reducing the throttle in second.

I think there's a ton of difference between the spastic nature of the stock power delivery, and the cold reality that the FZ has a good torque hit when you crack the throttle. Sure it jerks from the torque delivery, but it is smooth compared to pre-flash. I still have engine breaking but it's a heck of a lot less. My bike no longer nose dives when I back off the throttle. I never had a motorcycle before (and I have had many) where I had to rev match like with the FZ. Since the flash, I've never needed to rev match.

The spastic/erratic power delivery made the bike fun, but it's a heck of a lot easier to ride post-flash. Plus, the dyno charts don't lie, you have had a gain in both torque and horsepower as a result of the flash.

Honestly I thought the same exact thing in the first few miles. Almost like something was "wrong". But its just the way everything was smoothed out. The power is definitely still there...its just not as rabid dog like. And I still have a good amount of engine breaking but it doesn't throw me forward anymore. It may take a little getting used to but give it some time/miles and you'll be happy. 

captainkool4
42 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I think there's a ton of difference between the spastic nature of the stock power delivery, and the cold reality that the FZ has a good torque hit when you crack the throttle. Sure it jerks from the torque delivery, but it is smooth compared to pre-flash. I still have engine breaking but it's a heck of a lot less. My bike no longer nose dives when I back off the throttle. I never had a motorcycle before (and I have had many) where I had to rev match like with the FZ. Since the flash, I've never needed to rev match.

The spastic/erratic power delivery made the bike fun, but it's a heck of a lot easier to ride post-flash. Plus, the dyno charts don't lie, you have had a gain in both torque and horsepower as a result of the flash.

So I guess its the change in power delivery I'm sending.  It seems weird that the torque and HP could be higher

...but its not as fun/apastic when it accelerates?? How could it be.  Thanks for your help.

captainkool4

Have any of you noticed the on/off feeling still being very apparent?  If I roll the throttle off even half an inch, I mean 200 RPM less, the bike feels like the fuel is cut completely, and I'm literally lunged forward, even if I'm squeezing the tank hard.  Then when I roll back on, again just half an inch, the bike lunges me backwards.  This effect is less pronounced in higher gears, but still obviously there.  Driving me crazy, it's worse than stock because ar least stock I slowed down, now I just deal with the lunge back and forward with no stopping power.

52 minutes ago, captainkool4 said:

Have any of you noticed the on/off feeling still being very apparent?  If I roll the throttle off even half an inch, I mean 200 RPM less, the bike feels like the fuel is cut completely, and I'm literally lunged forward, even if I'm squeezing the tank hard.  Then when I roll back on, again just half an inch, the bike lunges me backwards.  This effect is less pronounced in higher gears, but still obviously there.  Driving me crazy, it's worse than stock because ar least stock I slowed down, now I just deal with the lunge back and forward with no stopping power.

Mine definitely doesn’t feel like that. I would get ahold of 2wdw and see if maybe something went wrong.

• Premium Member

chain slack? throttle cable slack? clutch cable slack? are these all within "spec" ?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

captainkool4
11 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

chain slack? throttle cable slack? clutch cable slack? are these all within "spec" ?

I checked these a few weeks ago and they were all within spec. 

• 3 weeks later...
captainkool4

Just want to give an update.

I sent the ecu back and 2wdw said there were no errors with it.  They flashed it for a removed snorkel and told me to remove my snorkel and 02 sensor, thinking that would fix the problem.

I got it back and have ridden a few hundred miles with those things removed, and I'm very happy with the results.  It accelerates really well, and the jerkiness is not nearly as apparent.  There is some jerkiness in first gear and at low revs in second, but overall, while driving, I barely notice any jerkiness.  

I'd say I'm very satisfied and also the bike sounds a little cooler without the snorkel.

FZ07R WaNaB
1 hour ago, captainkool4 said:

the bike sounds a little cooler without the snorkel

Try the MWR air filter from Bellissimoto - it sounds very cool compared to the stock filter. Mine is flashed for a stock exhaust with the snorkel removed. You will not need to do anything with further flashing due to the MWR air filter.

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, captainkool4 said:

Just want to give an update.

I sent the ecu back and 2wdw said there were no errors with it.  They flashed it for a removed snorkel and told me to remove my snorkel and 02 sensor, thinking that would fix the problem.

I got it back and have ridden a few hundred miles with those things removed, and I'm very happy with the results.  It accelerates really well, and the jerkiness is not nearly as apparent.  There is some jerkiness in first gear and at low revs in second, but overall, while driving, I barely notice any jerkiness.  

I'd say I'm very satisfied and also the bike sounds a little cooler without the snorkel.

Eehhh, ya never mentioned the snorkel wasn't removed, Shesahs. I know if you had communication with 2wdw they always recommend the snorkel to be removed. Maybe they didn't tell you! I don't know. But thats kinda info that would've been nice to know. Either way I'm glad you enjoying it now. Give it some more time and you'll start feeling the benefits through how you don't have to adjust riding to suit the bike's original nature. Iv'e had mine for just over 6 months and I'm feeling more and more enjoyment throwing this bike around using the gearbox downshifting into corners without the harshness prior to flash from 2wdw and as the turn opens up I can get on the throttle and the delivery is so much smoother, get it stood up, WOT delivers with great efficient linear response. I swear it's the best ROI I could have imagined. Big Shout out to @2wheeldynoworks Thanks.

So, is removing the 02 sensor something that everyone is suppose to do when they have their ECU flashed or was that only specific to your bike with it's special problems? My logic tells me it's for all bikes but that's just an assumption so I'm curious. I'm sure some others are, also.

Beemer

56 minutes ago, Beemer said:

So, is removing the 02 sensor something that everyone is suppose to do when they have their ECU flashed or was that only specific to your bike with it's special problems? My logic tells me it's for all bikes but that's just an assumption so I'm curious. I'm sure some others are, also.

I didn't do it, wasn't told to do it.

8 minutes ago, timjh said:

I didn't do it, wasn't told to do it.

And yours runs fine, right? I give up, it's confusing.

Beemer

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

And yours runs fine, right? I give up, it's confusing.

Yup.  I love the flash.

captainkool4
5 hours ago, Beemer said:

My bike was brand new and stock.  I don't really get it myself.  2wdw mentioned something about elevation differences from their shop in Seattle to my bike in Michigan potentially messing things up.  The o2 sensor out worked for me, if you're curious id say try popping yours loose and see how it goes. 

No negatives so far except I have noticed my mpg is low 30s but I ride all city and hammer on the throttle 24/7 so not sure if the 02 sensor made it this way.

Oem pipe, no snorkle or lid, o2 still attached, and 2WDW flash for me. mine runs  great!

I'm confused also about O2 sensor.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

captainkool4
2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Oem pipe, no snorkle or lid, o2 still attached, and 2WDW flash for me. mine runs  great!

I'm confused also about O2 sensor.

You don't notice any jerkiness coming on and off the throttle? I'm talking about just closing it a little then cracking it back again.

Archived