The MT-07 Forum

2019 Indian FTR1200

minkster

• Global Moderator

The website says "the Scout FTR1200 Custom is an exploration of what a street-legal tracker could look like"

The photos show a single front brake, which does not seem like much for a 1200 cc bike, but maybe it is. 

I really like it. Like really like it. Will not buy one, though, as I think it is too much money to spend compared to the small extra pleasure I can get compared to a cheap bike. Plus it has too much power which will be very taxing for my licence. 

I never hear any talk about Indian bikes so maybe this sport bike would help toward getting them some more street credit and maybe push them to make some more sport bikes afterward. 

I like it's looks, the headlight is very nice but I especially like the sound. A think a big 320 disc up front should be ample. A nice Brembo would rock it!

Beemer

topazsparrow
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

I never hear any talk about Indian bikes so maybe this sport bike would help toward getting them some more street credit and maybe push them to make some more sport bikes afterward. 

I like it's looks, the headlight is very nice but I especially like the sound. A think a big 320 disc up front should be ample. A nice Brembo would rock it!

Ran into a guy that was riding an Indian Scout once on a group ride. He really liked it and it actually moved pretty good. The suspension was great. Very sporty for a cruiser.

I assume they would add another front brake, and a nice huge catalytic converter, blinkers, lights etc. It will probably look considerably different with everything to make it street legal.

Sorry folks, but I am completely unable to understand why you would want to ride something the size of a bus...

The FTR does at least not look as gigantic.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 6/20/2018 at 3:03 PM, faffi said:

I really like it. Like really like it. Will not buy one, though, as I think it is too much money to spend compared to the small extra pleasure I can get compared to a cheap bike. Plus it has too much power which will be very taxing for my licence. 

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I think it looks great but will probably cost a small fortune. 

Very bold of Indian to commit to this bike and as a 2019 model no less. I really like the flat tracker and the minimalist look and I hope they will keep it as light as possible. I'm glad to hear they're designing a new engine for this bike, maybe they will narrow the 'V' a bit to make the engine more compact....the Scout engine may be very nice but to much of a cruiser bike engine in external size for me. They could even make it an FTR1000 to keep it smaller and still have plenty of horsepower for most of us.

I'm now kind of glad Yamaha didn't get the T7 dual sport on the market yet....may just have to wait and see this Indian. I know...apples & oranges but I've got to see if Indian does it right.

Just stumbled onto this article.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/indian/eicma-2018-indian-scout-ftr1200-custom-concept-bike.html

They're saying, "All of this results in a package that has a 60-inch wheelbase with a 25° rake and 3.7-in. trail, weighing in at a claimed 427 lbs. Yeeha!"

For a 1200 cc bike that's pretty light. Of course lighter would be nicer but that ain't too awfully bad. It does have a Brembo up front also.

Beemer

I expect or hope that with a new engine design that the wheelbase would come down closer to 56"-57", it's the weight in legal street mode that I'm most concerned with. I will assume that Indian will have an 'off road only' light wt. exhaust system available, if not than someone will so that will remove wt. of catalyst etc.  I really like the wheels on the concept bike but will be interested to see what size wheels and what tires the production bike comes with.  I will also be interested to see if they try to make it accommodate a pillion or at least maybe offer an option of different seat/tail piece...it wouldn't take much really. If Indian is smart, they will have a catalog of customizable components available.

I would imagine that Indian is designing the all new engine (lighter more compact?) for a future line of sportier bikes and not just for this FTR version....only makes sense right? I believe this will be Indians move to create other than 'cruisers' and they should as I see the cruiser market as pretty well saturated and I don't see that many millennials shopping for cruisers.

I guess we'll have to wait and see

Several years ago when Polaris first came out with the Indian line I sold some mutual finds in my IRA and bought shares in Polaris. Ain't I the smart one, hehe...well not really but I did want to invest in something American that I could relate to and near to my heart and I sure have no regrets.

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

I was watching a couple of recent flat track events that I dvr'd last week and an Indian FTR 750 was mentioned. I'll have to check it out.

Archived