The MT-07 Forum

Gevo's FZ 07 Thread

GEVO

Hello all. I start a thread like this to keep track of my work and use of such machines, in this case, the new to me FZ-07. 

I recently purchased this bike, seemingly from another member, fastfreddy. Bike ahs 79k miles and fastfreddy has taken pretty good care of it. The main use will be as a commuter. 

As always with any new machine I redo all basic maintenance items to start the clock fresh. The rear tire was in bad shape, it had thread left but had waves on the sides. This is reminiscent of mostly straight line riding. 

So far I have installed a new rear tire. I have ordered a bunch of maintenance items, I'll copy that list from the 'what did you buy for your fz07 today' thread. 

New air filter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XAEBZAW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oil filter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JJ3VNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oil, decided for first time ever to go with manufacturer oil just to see how it is... I usually like Motul

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QS9NEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New plugs.. these things are ridiculous

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L0Y3HK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh yah, tail eliminator.. didn't see a reason to pay anymore than this.. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G85IEZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess next are turn/running lights... and the only other thing I have on my mind is an exhaust. I think it is disgusting how expensive they are, even if it isn't a rip-off... so much money!

With that said. I'll be back to this thread soon and keep it updated as there is something to report. 

cheers.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, GEVO said:

Here's a link to where I got mine https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=45776 $12.70 for 2 + $4.00 shipping= $16.70 total if this can help, it seem Amazon prices are really high!! @GEVO

Edited by fzar

18 hours ago, fzar said:

Here's a link to where I got mine https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=45776 $12.70 for 2 + $4.00 shipping= $16.70 total if this can help, it seem Amazon prices are really high!! @GEVO

That would have been a better price than on amazon.. lame for me not having caught that. I'm usually pretty good finding the 'best' deal on the internet before I make a purchase. :D

So, today I almost got hit by a minivan. In the video you will see that I am approaching the driveway, it has a very narrow path that I can use with the bike due to rumble strips so I have to make a wide turn. The minivan behind me was right on my ass the whole way and I was well aware. I started to slow down early and turned my turn signal on early to signal that I am turning right. Especially because I know that I need to take wide turn and that may give the impression that I am moving to the left. So, I was aware of the potential for the minivan to ignore all of these and try to go straight anyway. I felt the minivan accelerating before it came into view and you could see I started turning back to the left. Our mirrors were no more than an inch apart. At such slow speeds,nearly 0, we all know motorcycles are not that maneuverable.. so I was barely able to keep from hitting the car. The video is 60 frames per second so everything looks faster than it is. You could see the minivan had to move way over to the curb to squeeze through, so I thought I was keeping a small enough space there that she wouldn't try to pass. If you go frame by frame you will see about 15 frames where the driver is in clear view and that she did not react ONE bit.

• Premium Member

What a shitty situation. Especially since that person was just driving like an a-hole with no concern for others. 

It seems like worth slowing down right in front of others and having them slow down and get annoyed too in these kinds of situations. 

Whoa...that was scary. 

Judging by the glare and the shadows in the video it seems like you were driving in to the sun. A motorcycle can completely disappear if the sun is hitting their windshield just right. It's possible she never knew you were there? It's our job to make sure they see us, and it looks like you did a great job of that! Good work looking out for yourself! 

She was trailing me for about a mile down that road, there is no way she didn't see me. I suppose she could have not seen the blinkers. 

Red_ak_ranger

wow that's a frustrating video.  I don't mind turning sharp (kind of the point of the MSF course I took I guess) so I'd rather control their speed and make them come to a halt instead of having any opportunity to get around me.

This happened in my lifted jeep the other day.  Someone was tailgating me so I very slowly took a right turn just to annoy them and make them come to a near sotp.  Difference of course being my jeep is bullet proof.  my bike isn't at all.  

Turning sharp isn't a problem for me. In this case I have to go up a very short ramp up to the curb level and then I have only about 2 ft of width. So if you hit that too sharp you are very likely to screw up :)  

What I should have done different is slow way down and come to a near stop and turn. Or, as I have done before in similar situations, pull far to the left, wait for car to pass then pull in. In this case, i thought the lady had enough information to know that I am pulling in there. 

On to better things. 

I took the bike apart yesterday. By the time I got my hands clean it was too dark for meaningful pictures. I Had received the maintenance items. I put in a K&N air filter and removed the snorkel. But, I think the opening is still limiting the potential air intake. Since I haven't put the bike back together yet I think I will cut the  opening a bit to match at least the K&N filters opening. 

Then I went to clean and see where the little bit of oil is coming from. I had noticed this during the pre-purchase check but I figured it's most likely the left side cover seal. Turns out there was a bolt loose on the cover. I tightened it and added a 1/4 turn to all of the other bolts.  Should take care of that. 

Then I started to dig into the bike further to access the spark plugs. Not a fun job. I ran out of time just as I removed the tank. Tiny little tank! So tonight I should be able to replace the plugs and install the tail eliminator kit. 

I will have pictures to share, promise :D

Here she is. All bare and junkyard find looking. lol 

9XlsASDVsMZ4xezrbH8vqZ7Leh1pMMSB0MPG_dsJ

It was annoying taking off the stock tail lights and all that crap.

XlymbT1jpN1BVaTJ5xr-kCxykDh6WiF7Z2i4RQdb

Took me a couple of attempts, but it came together. I did it in the wrong order, twice. lol. holly hell the stock blinkers look so bad!

R3xfg0XVCsk8KqlV7uuFGu5ERZheSBRPRdkvLCOi

There it is. installed. fastened into pace. wired. all good. LED license plate light is super bright. 

vF7yhX4LXFAHDF_T59bK_PF2TANG_qeCVmgJvUuY

New horn. sounds like a car. 10 db if i remember correctly/ easiest upgrade ever.

vdjhHNiBXpAt-x_BWyHvvOFnB-dS3t1w5wGdlx9h

All done finally!

Khk5rJDU8r9YS0UPbHOQ7hsM9oeGFTjpBPCc6OC9

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

SO I have now put 1100 mile on the new to me bike. That brings the mileage of the bike to 80,100+. Everything is running perfectly. Mechanically the engine is flawless. The air filter and air filter chamber mod worked as expected. ENgine feels slightly more preppy. 

I still haven't installed my new turn signals :( 

I ended up taking the backyard muffler mod method. Honestly, I really like it.. and not only because it is free vs. $600. It sounds and feel pretty good. I started with the idea of drilling the 6 - 3/8 inch holes. I figured, I will approach it with a slightly more engineers method. I first drilled 4 - 1/4" holes, that sounded super crappy. Then I drilled 2 more, and still same high pitched droning with high pitched thumping. THen I drilled 4 of them through with a 3/8 " bit. Slightly better, still not happy. Drilled the other 2 as well, slightly better and still not my taste. At this point, I am at where everyone else on the forum is with the 6 - 3/8" holes. I decided that either I was going to find a good balance of noise/sound or I was going to ruin my muffler trying to do so. Next step, drill 4 of them out with a 1/2" bit. Done, test, sounded surprisingly  good.. really good.  I thought ok, I am almost there.. Drilled out the rest ... so now I have 6 - 1/2" holes in the 2nd chamber of the muffler. I have been sporting this setup proudly for 800 or so miles and am very happy with it. Other than the kind of un-interesting looks, the muffler is great. 

I have some sound bites I will share later. BUUUT, as we know videos don't do sound comparison justice.

:)

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi All, it's been some time since I have posted. I don't have much to say other than to report on the condition of the bike. When I purchased it it had about 79k miles. I currently have just about 85k miles on it and everything is going very well. 

I have a persistant issue I can not identify, a tapping feel of sorts from the drivetrain that I can feel in the foot pegs. That has been the case since day one. I haven't really put much time into it, but I shall soon. 

I'm getting close to my 2nd new rear tire. I am going to take it in for another full service this week.

Just want to encourage everyone that as long as you do good maintenance, you will have this bike for a long time. Great bike, I am totally loving it. Very happy with the purchase!

cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GEVO said:

Hi All, it's been some time since I have posted. I don't have much to say other than to report on the condition of the bike. When I purchased it it had about 79k miles. I currently have just about 85k miles on it and everything is going very well. 

I have a persistant issue I can not identify, a tapping feel of sorts from the drivetrain that I can feel in the foot pegs. That has been the case since day one. I haven't really put much time into it, but I shall soon. 

I'm getting close to my 2nd new rear tire. I am going to take it in for another full service this week.

Just want to encourage everyone that as long as you do good maintenance, you will have this bike for a long time. Great bike, I am totally loving it. Very happy with the purchase!

cheers.

This is awesome.  I plan on running my FZ until she gives.  Hopefully at 80K+

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
On 7/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, GEVO said:

cheers.

Check your chain for tight links

That was the 'tapping' sensation I felt on mine

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 1 month later...

Plot twist!

I decided 4 days ago that if I can sell my fz 07 for a decent price, I will get a different bike. Why not, have some fun feeling various different bikes. 

I sold it yesterday to a young guy and he was excited. Great fit for him, relatively new rider. I never did find the exact cause of that tapping either, I explained to him my experience with it and that the shop had checked all the bearings and important parts. Advised him to come on to this forum to see the progress and conversation about my bike. 

Anyway, I am headed to join the fz 09 forum now :D  2015, has a few mods which I am not terribly happy about. A loud ass exhaust, but atleast it sounds great. And holly hell a LOT more power. Need to be much much more careful with it.

cheers folks!