The MT-07 Forum

MT07 rebuild/custom project

The good show

The good show

So I thought I'd share some of the progress from my MT07 custom build. Apart from basic mods in the past, I've never attempted anything nearly as ambitious but I've always wanted to build a custom bike so I've gone in, guns blazing. I'll keep posting updates here as I go but I'm also using Instagram as a daily journal for those who need a more regular fix. I know I couldn't find much detail on custom MT07 builds so i'm sure there are a few people who will get a kick out of it - https://www.instagram.com/the.good.show/ 

For the most part, I'm winging it so some moral support would go a long way. I'd love to hear any questions, ideas and especially advice! 

Next up is to properly connect the tank and start her up....

Mods so far include:

• Powder coated frame and crankcase covers
  • Nitron NTR R1 rear shock
  • Blacked out radiator (from XSR 700)
  • Renthall bars
  • Venhill 888 Fast action Throttle
  • SC Projects exhaust
  • Power Commander V
  • All balls tapered headstem bearing
  • New clutch plates

TGS_001.jpg

TGS_002.jpg

TGS_003.jpg

TGS_004.jpg

TGS_005.jpg

TGS_006.jpg

TGS_007.jpg

TGS_008.jpg

TGS_009.jpg

TGS_010.jpg

TGS_011.jpg

TGS_012.jpg

TGS_013.jpg

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, The good show said:

All balls tapered headstem bearing

Can you talk about this a little more? 

What are the advantages?

Did it change feel at all? 

The good show
11 hours ago, i28 said:

Can you talk about this a little more? 

What are the advantages?

Did it change feel at all? 

My head stem races were pretty badly pitted when I inspected them so replacing them made an instant improvement to the steering. Tapered bearings traditionally last longer than the ball bearing type as there's more surface area in contact with the outer race.

One way to check if your races need replacing is to raise your front end off the ground (I use an Abba stand which you can see in my photos) and turn the steering slowly. If you feel a notch as you turn then do yourself a favour and replace them. 

Full disclosure - getting the old top race out was an absolute nightmare! there's no groove or slope to help you out. What worked for me in the end, was the cheap and unassuming Sealey MS040 tool. 

Now that's the styling I like best, good job! Needless to say pics when complete.

Beemer

• 1 month later...
  • Global Moderator

Can't wait to see how this turns out, 

I may be purchasing a second bike in the future and would like to strip and rebuild my FZ into what I think it could be

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The good show
On 8/9/2018 at 2:32 AM, RRR said:

Always thought the 07 looks best when murdered out in black. What are your plans for the front end?

Nothing mental - upgrading fork oil and springs to a hyperpro progressive  set and changing up the stock headlight for a Koso 7" round and Motogadget mblaze indicators. At the moment things have stalled because of a lack of $$$ but that's next on the agenda. 

1 hour ago, The good show said:

Nothing mental - upgrading fork oil and springs to a hyperpro progressive  set and changing up the stock headlight for a Koso 7" round and Motogadget mblaze indicators. At the moment things have stalled because of a lack of $$$ but that's next on the agenda. 

Similar look to. . . 

Round headlight looks good on the 07 imo

I feel ya on the lack of funds! Suspension is next on my to do list, got to wait for that spare cash though

The good show
8 hours ago, RRR said:

Similar look to. . . 

Round headlight looks good on the 07 imo

I feel ya on the lack of funds! Suspension is next on my to do list, got to wait for that spare cash though

ooo, he's done a nice job on that. I'm also changing up my front fender for something more rounded. Taking a lot of cues from the Husqvarna Vitpilen. Changing up the fork springs and oil is super easy - just make sure you pick up a damper rod holding tool. Avoid the overpriced yamaha version. I picked up an aftermarket version for a Kawasaki that worked a treat and cost peanuts - http://www.gpzzone.co.uk/acatalog/Tools.html

The good show
On 8/9/2018 at 4:21 AM, sorkyah said:

Can't wait to see how this turns out, 

I may be purchasing a second bike in the future and would like to strip and rebuild my FZ into what I think it could be

I'm slowly getting there. I'm ready to get the wheels and brake lines back on (upgrading to avon trailriders, magura master cylinder, venhill braided lines, brembo rear and ebc front discs). I've loaned out my camera but as soon as I have it back I'll post some updated images.

It's been a fun build but not one without it's issues. I've learned a hell of a lot and I'm a lot more intimate with the bike - which was a big part of why I decided to take the project on.

The good show
On 8/8/2018 at 11:12 PM, mossrider said:

Update?

Coming soon. I've been distracted with my work and lack of funds so the bike build has slowed but i'll be getting the front wheels on in the next couple of weeks. I'll make sure to post pics as soon as I have them.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:19 PM, The good show said:

ooo, he's done a nice job on that. I'm also changing up my front fender for something more rounded. Taking a lot of cues from the Husqvarna Vitpilen. Changing up the fork springs and oil is super easy - just make sure you pick up a damper rod holding tool. Avoid the overpriced yamaha version. I picked up an aftermarket version for a Kawasaki that worked a treat and cost peanuts - http://www.gpzzone.co.uk/acatalog/Tools.html

Yeah he did good, shame it was written off.

I like where Husky went with the Svart/Vitpilen, keen to see how your build turns out.

Are you making your own fender? JvB-Moto have a decent shorty, tbh i like there headlight mount as well, nice and clean.

mt-super7-13-web.thumb.jpg.6737012b22d1343f83ebea26b5d8679c.jpg

https://www.kedo-jvb-moto.com/mt-07-super-7.html

The good show
6 hours ago, RRR said:

Yeah he did good, shame it was written off.

I like where Husky went with the Svart/Vitpilen, keen to see how your build turns out.

Are you making your own fender? JvB-Moto have a decent shorty, tbh i like there headlight mount as well, nice and clean.

mt-super7-13-web.thumb.jpg.6737012b22d1343f83ebea26b5d8679c.jpg

https://www.kedo-jvb-moto.com/mt-07-super-7.html

I didn't know he wrote it off. Tragic.

I looked at the JVB fender but it seems to come pre-painted so I think I'll go with the Rizoma curved fender for the XSR 700. They use the same forks so I'm assuming it'll be a direct fit for the FZ07. After much deliberation, I've settled on a Koso 7" headlight and Motogadget Mblaze indicators for the front lights which means I'll need to have custom headlight brackets machined. Not something I've done before but I'm getting pretty good at Fusion 360 so I'm optimistic...

Yeah mate, rear ended at a stop light.

Sounds like the bike is going to turn out skits! I take it you didn't get a chance to ride it with the R1 installed before you pulled everything apart?

The good show
8 hours ago, RRR said:

Yeah mate, rear ended at a stop light.

Sounds like the bike is going to turn out skits! I take it you didn't get a chance to ride it with the R1 installed before you pulled everything apart?

Yeah it's going to be a proper terror. I had the R1 on for a while before the strip down. Made a huge difference to the ride - felt a lot more confident in the corners afterward. 

2 hours ago, The good show said:

Yeah it's going to be a proper terror. I had the R1 on for a while before the strip down. Made a huge difference to the ride - felt a lot more confident in the corners afterward. 

Good to hear mate, I'm going for the R1 as well in a few weeks. The OCD in me wants to go Nitron up front as well. Spoke to the rep about fork cartridges and was told Nitron have been developing 22mm piston cartridges and they are getting close to releasing them soon. The companies HQ in England moved over Xmas 2017 to a newer, bigger premises which took a chunk out of developing & research time. I believe they are settled in now so the development is back in full swing

• Global Moderator

@RRR, I have the R1 on my bike and it made a huge difference.  I went with Matris for the forks.  I got the titanium colored spring (it is a no cost option instead of the stock powder blue) so you would need to be close enough to read the text on both the shock and fork caps to know they were from different manufacturers.  I bought them both from @pattonme, he is in the supporting vendor section of the forum. 

5 hours ago, RRR said:

Good to hear mate, I'm going for the R1 as well in a few weeks. The OCD in me wants to go Nitron up front as well. Spoke to the rep about fork cartridges and was told Nitron have been developing 22mm piston cartridges and they are getting close to releasing them soon. The companies HQ in England moved over Xmas 2017 to a newer, bigger premises which took a chunk out of developing & research time. I believe they are settled in now so the development is back in full swing

If Nitron's 22mm cartridge kit is like their big-boy versions (TVT25, $1300) it's going to be at least as expensive as the Ohlins ($800) and probably more. If you're State-side I can get them just as soon as they are released.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

11 hours ago, mjh937 said:

@RRR, I have the R1 on my bike and it made a huge difference.  I went with Matris for the forks.  I got the titanium colored spring (it is a no cost option instead of the stock powder blue) so you would need to be close enough to read the text on both the shock and fork caps to know they were from different manufacturers.  I bought them both from @pattonme, he is in the supporting vendor section of the forum. 

Nice mate, I've heard nothing but good things about Nitron. I'll be going for the black spring as well.

10 hours ago, pattonme said:

If Nitron's 22mm cartridge kit is like their big-boy versions (TVT25, $1300) it's going to be at least as expensive as the Ohlins ($800) and probably more. If you're State-side I can get them just as soon as they are released.

If only I was state side mate, would of saved a cuntonne on shipping the amount of stuff I buy from the US. I've also heard nothing but good things about @pattonme

The good show

I spent a while looking at different cartridge options but in the end, settled for a straightforward upgrade to Hyperpro progressive springs and oil. I figured if I'm still unhappy with the feel I've only blown £110. I'll keep an eye out for the Nitron cartridges - if they're half as good as the shock then they'll be money well spent.

Archived