The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 or FZ09?

seans

Few things that made me get the 07 over the 09: Overall style of the 07 is better IMO, hate the one long seat on the 09, love the size and weight of the 07, it's just so light and flickable. At 5'9" 165, the 07 fits me like a horse that was bred for me personally. lol I actually like the sound of the triple better, but the torque on the 07 leaves nothing to be desired, especially since I'm not planning on taking my bike over a hundred. As others have said though, whichever you pick you'll be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daufcguy

In my opinion,the FZ-09 is not a starter bike, I have been riding for a pretty good amount of time and I can easily get myself into trouble on the 09 if I don't restrain myself and ride responsibly). The fz-07 is not some kind of down grade from the 09, they are both such awesome and amazing bikes, I own an 09 but i would be equally happy on an 07 (im trying to convince my lady to get one so I can ride it : ) ). Whats not to like in the 07? its fast, sexy and that price is the best deal in motorcycling!

Sorry to resurrect this thread 4 months later, but I am facing the same dilemma :) 
I really like the FZ-09 (especially the 2015 model in silver), but the more I think about it the more I will likely go for the 07, for this one reason: I am still a notice rider.

This would be my second bike I will have owned and I have only been riding for a little over a year, without logging a ton of miles. My current bike is an '07 Suz M50 boulevard, and is the main reason I am looking for another bike and haven't ridden a whole lot over the past year. I got a smoking deal on it at the time, but riding it has made me quickly realize that cruisers just aren't for me. I have no fun riding a slow, heavy bike. I just want something more agile and fun to use as a commuter -- no track days for me, and I'm not experienced enough to need something very powerful at this time.

I am older than dirt for most newbie riders, getting started at the age of 44, so I guess with that comes wisdom, risk avoidance, and a gentler wrist -- but I am still concerned that the 09 would be a little too much bike for me. Unless someone convinces me otherwise :) I'm flipflopping like a friggin politician here.
I am 49, was a reentry rider, had not ridden for like 15yrs or so...then I got manopause and wanted a bike. I got a great deal on a VStar 650, but even a smaller cruised just seemed to lug it's way around town. I went with the 07, because I am a little to short to get my leg over the 09, and I saw very few people saying "This is not an entry level bike" about the 07. I LOVE my 07, it does everything I need pretty well; from going to run some errands around town, to weekend cruising, to back road riding, the bike is a pleasure to ride

... cruisers just aren't for me. I have no fun riding a slow, heavy bike. I just want something more agile and fun to use as a commuter -- no track days for me, and I'm not experienced enough to need something very powerful at this time.  
I am older than dirt for most newbie riders, getting started at the age of 44, so I guess with that comes wisdom, risk avoidance, and a gentler wrist -- but I am still concerned that the 09 would be a little too much bike for me. Unless someone convinces me otherwise :) I'm flipflopping like a friggin politician here.
That's EXACTLY the same position I'm in right now with a Kawi Vulcan 900 ... selling it in the spring and getting an FZ-07 ... although the new Vulcan S is tempting me with it's 500 lbs and Ninja 650 engine (something that can actually rev lol). 

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

For me its the 07. Ive always liked smaller bikes. The last motorcycle I bought was an SR500. I'm also someone who likes to keep their bikes. I thought that the 7 would fit my collection a lot better too. I feel that the 09 would have been too much in middle ground. I can see myself getting an r1 some day. I feel like I would be happier with a 700cc and a 1000cc, rather than a 900cc and 1000cc. But I will admit that I havn't ridden the 09 yet. This opinion I have is on paper, not from experience. But both bikes are great. If you can try them both out, I think thats your best bet on deciding. Its really easy to let someone elses opinion guide you into picking a bike that isn't a good fit for you. A lot of people will pick a motorcycle based on how cool other people think it is. Figure out which bike will put the biggest smile on your face when you are riding all by yourself.

Guest daufcguy

Lets do a side by side to see which one is more fun, first the fz-07

d1937619a462d63751ca165b6d2f4598.jpg
img][img]

Ok, so far so good, now lets try the Fz-09:

092113top-i.jpg

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it looks like were gonna have to call this one a tie.

Archived