The MT-07 Forum

Nooby Chain lube questions

captainkool4

captainkool4

I recently lubed chain for the first time and I have a few questions.

1) how do I get lube off the tire..i accidently got some on the tire where it might meet pavement.

2) am I supposed to have lube on the sides of the chain too? Or only in the middle?  Should I clean the lube off the sides?

3) I used motul c4 and the chain is super sticky, is that normal?

PICTURE:

https://imgur.com/a/GaqOlEh

Thanks so much guys.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) gasoline or other handy solvent

2) the lube goes into the small gap between the plates at each pivot point.

3) sticky is bad. Use gear oil (60w or thicker) next time and take that shet and spray it all over the windowshield and outside of your most hated enemy's car.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I'm a visual person so this video might help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_c_Wi1l3Fg

1) I use kerosene to clean off any chain lube but yeah gasoline works too

2) @pattonme is right on about the small gap between the plates at each pivot point

3) I use the Motul chain lube too and it is sticky. I use kerosene to clean the plate/face of the chain but leave the sticky Motul alone at the pivot points. 

3_812e9e52-44cd-4614-912a-8780af8bd06e.jpg

You do you and I'll do me.

captainkool4

Thanks so much guys, I was thinking the chain looks so ugly with this sticky lube all over the sides.  

So you think motul is OK even though it's sticky?  I bought it cause it had high reviews on amazon.

Yeah, the Motul chain lube hasn't treated me wrong at all. It's designed to be sticky to "last longer" during long rides/sessions when the chain heats up from usage. Think "race track" usage.

You do you and I'll do me.

not to start a religious war...

Anything tacky attracts dirt like you wouldn't believe. The whole point of "lubing" the chain to to keep the grit and grime AWAY from the o-rings which are sealing in the ACTUAL lubricants. What you're spraying on does little/nothing to improve the link-to-link friction of the pins against the rollers. Only a fluid-like thin lube washes away the grit and grime. The alternative is a completely dry film- like product that is what I call "dirt slick" which sheds foreign matter - eg. paraffin, PTFE, Moly, or graphite.

Run a chain with tacky-shet and you'll end up with a counter-sprocket area just thick with a black tar full of sand and grit. I know from personal experience. In order to get rid of all the other black mess on the chain you end up having to scrub away with a solvent - which generally ruins the o-rings with enough effort.

Long ago I got smart. I never clean my chains because I don't have to - they run clean. I just run a thin bead of 80w90 gear oil down the plate gap and if there is excess it wipes off trivially with a paper towel. Any fling is likewise a quick swipe and done.

If I remember I lube my chain every couple weeks. If I'm doing several hundred miles a day I might do it every couple of days.

If you're running a non-o-ring chain on a race bike to minimize frictional losses, then I still wouldn't use anything tacky. Oil it before the first session, every day. Maybe.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

captainkool4

Patton, so you don't clean with kerosene, and you just use 80w90 oil to lube?  Do you find you have to lube way more often since your lube wouldn't really "stick" on as long?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

anyone ever use an auto oiler? Either gravity or electric?

a few do on the FJ-09 forum... some praise em, some hate em as they get finicky to "work" right due to users oil choice/outside temp and what oil rate you want...

its alot easier to carry a can of chain wax or small squeeze bottle of gear oil in my opinion...

loobman- 

scotsolier-

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

7 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

anyone ever use an auto oiler? Either gravity or electric?

I have an oiler on my Aprilia. it's not automatic, though. I have to push a button 10 to 15 times. Each push results in a pump giving a pulse of lube to the chain. The set-up has 2 out-fields. One over each joint on the chain. 

I'll lube about every 200 miles (basically a tank of fuel for that bike) and do it a block or so from home so the chain is warm. 

Like pattonme, I use gear oil, but mix in about 25% white Li grease for some extra thickness. This was done more to keep the lube from just syphoning thru the plumbing while in the garage. 

As fir cleaning  - also like pattonme - is just a wipe down once a year to remove some dirt from the side plates.

For now, I do this for the FZ with the same mix of lube. With th back off the ground, I just turn the wheel with one hand and squeeze the pump with the other. The nozzle thingy is a Scott Dual Oiler kit 

chain lube 2.jpg

chain lube 1.jpg

I've had 2 scott oilers both were pneumatic - ran off the carb intake pulse. You have to use a thin oil for it to work and it takes a while to get the quantity right. I liked them ok, I think I still have one new in the box. Probably a collector's item now...

A 3-4oz squeeze bottle (see your chemical supply or beauty shop) is plenty dexterous and convenient.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 6/14/2018 at 9:17 AM, Beemer said:

@pattonme, what say you about this, it's been talked about a lot >>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-11-oz/16672659

It goes on dry and is supposedly self cleaning. 

That is what I use. It still collects a decent amount of grime. It collects enough for me to put the bike on the rear stand and take a chain brush to it before I lube it again. So probably not as clean as pattonme's method.

• Premium Member
On 6/14/2018 at 8:17 AM, Beemer said:

@pattonme, what say you about this, it's been talked about a lot >>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-11-oz/16672659

It goes on dry and is supposedly self cleaning. 

I use this all the time, every 300-500 miles or after anytime I encounter water, to say it goes on dry hmm!! it's not messy dripping all over the place, it doe's collect some grime. Get the chain some heat, I spray kerosene on the chain and put the grime brush on it, wipe down with a rag and clean the sprocket. Apply the du-pont wax based lube, 15-20 mins quick wipe of the excess. The CS I pull the shifter rod and covers to access and get in there with kerosene and paper towels every 4k miles, its wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been the first time I got in there. Iv'e never used an auto-oiler.

1 hour ago, fzar said:

I use this all the time, every 300-500 miles or after anytime I encounter water, to say it goes on dry hmm!! it's not messy dripping all over the place, it doe's collect some grime. Get the chain some heat, I spray kerosene on the chain and put the grime brush on it, wipe down with a rag and clean the sprocket. Apply the du-pont wax based lube, 15-20 mins quick wipe of the excess. The CS I pull the shifter rod and covers to access and get in there with kerosene and paper towels every 4k miles, its wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been the first time I got in there. Iv'e never used an auto-oiler.

Well, they do say it is dirt resistant so that would explain the lack of grime in there so it sounds like good stuff. It's o-ring safe, doesn't fling off easily and supposedly helps sprocket last longer with regular use. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Beemer said:

Well, they do say it is dirt resistant so that would explain the lack of grime in there so it sounds like good stuff. It's o-ring safe, doesn't fling off easily and supposedly helps sprocket last longer with regular use. 

It works for me, as fling goes its minimal as its wax-based ( wipe off excess), yes its o-ring safe, I don't know about it helping the sprocket last longer but mine is in great shape. I would have gone with Bel-Ray chain lube but seeming as the previous owner handed me everything he had du -pont wax based lube I decided to give it a try,  including rear stand, yama-lube 10w-40 quart, grime brush, battery tender, OEM rear fender, gun-lock for locking a helmet (instead of the poxy 1 under the pillion) he needed the money and was getting out of bikes, so he gave me everything he had.

6 minutes ago, fzar said:

It works for me, as fling goes its minimal as its wax-based ( wipe off excess), yes its o-ring safe, I don't know about it helping the sprocket last longer but mine is in great shape. I would have gone with Bel-Ray chain lube but seeming as the previous owner handed me everything he had du -pont wax based lube I decided to give it a try,  including rear stand, yama-lube 10w-40 quart, grime brush, battery tender, OEM rear fender, gun-lock for locking a helmet (instead of the poxy 1 under the pillion) he needed the money and was getting out of bikes, so he gave me everything he had.

It making the sprocket last longer was in the description that I read. It said it could (not would) make your sprockets last up to 5 times longer. Of course there was no proof of that, lol! Heck, they could've said it would make them last a million years and who would do anything about it? Advertising, ha! All with a grain I guess.

Beemer

Pattonme, You say you have to use thin oil with the oiler, but that would mean using something with low shear strength on something with massive interface loads?

If you have a really dirty chain, Citronella oil cleans insanely well and won'y hurt the seals. Smells funny for a while though.

Sticky/non stickey: In the dry stickey is bad. As pointed out it just picks up crap and acts as a grinding paste. In the wet , the water on the interface increases the chain roller wear and the sprocket wear, so a sticky /waxy lube will keep working for much longer. If you ride mountain bikes it is VERY noticeable as their isn't any engine noise to hide the ghastly noises a de-lubed chain makes after rideing through a creek or puddle. I suspect E bikes will show it up even more, though I strongly suspect they will end up belted rather than chained in the long run.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

the air-pulse activated Scott-Oiler needed a 30W or rather lower viscosity to function in sub-70F temps. Keeping the o-rings and side-plates "bathed" doesn't require a high-sheer product. Whatever get put on the rollers to be pinched against the sprocket teeth is just gravy.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 6/13/2018 at 9:45 PM, Duke said:

I'm a visual person so this video might help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_c_Wi1l3Fg

1) I use kerosene to clean off any chain lube but yeah gasoline works too

2) @pattonme is right on about the small gap between the plates at each pivot point

3) I use the Motul chain lube too and it is sticky. I use kerosene to clean the plate/face of the chain but leave the sticky Motul alone at the pivot points. 

3_812e9e52-44cd-4614-912a-8780af8bd06e.jpg

This will only lube half the chain. And if it's a sealed chain, you're lubing the half of the chain that needs it the least. 

We also need to direct lube over the rollers in the center of the chain so that it will will ooze under the roller to lubricate the bottom side. 

BelRay chain lube is the best I've found. Absolutely will not fling, does not attract grit and does not wash away if caught in a rain storm. A quick spritz with kerosene on chain cleaning day and it washes away easily. 

• Premium Member
On 6/15/2018 at 2:08 PM, Beemer said:

It making the sprocket last longer was in the description that I read. It said it could (not would) make your sprockets last up to 5 times longer. Of course there was no proof of that, lol! Heck, they could've said it would make them last a million years and who would do anything about it? Advertising, ha! All with a grain I guess.

What have you been using in the life span of your bike @Beemer

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

This will only lube half the chain. And if it's a sealed chain, you're lubing the half of the chain that needs it the least. 

We also need to direct lube over the rollers in the center of the chain so that it will will ooze under the roller to lubricate the bottom side. 

BelRay chain lube is the best I've found. Absolutely will not fling, does not attract grit and does not wash away if caught in a rain storm. A quick spritz with kerosene on chain cleaning day and it washes away easily. 

What BelRay chain lube do you use @shinyribs

Archived