The MT-07 Forum

Byebye FZ07?

Redstang4

Currently at 31,000 miles, all of them put on by me in the last 2 years and 2 months.  I am not head over heels in love with my fz anymore.  She does everything I need and want, and does it well.  Though I no longer feel like she has the gusto, the punch that was so addictive.  I took a month break from her thinking I was just too accustomed, drove my truck which is big and slow.  Now back on the FZ, it just doesnt make me grin like it used to.  Still a great bike, I love how light and flickable she is, how in any gear any rpm you can twist the throttle and she goes.  Just wondering..  

Looking at a '14 striple. I have a tenative test drive, trade in, sign papers date set,  just waiting to hear back today for hard numbers.  Done lots of research and have a pretty good idea of what to expect out of the Triumph.  As the FZ and Stripple are really only in the same catagory for displacement and being nakeds, Im not sure if the Triumph will do everything and do it as well as the FZ while giving me that grin back. 

I enjoy being able to ride the FZ hard and how well it allows you to be able to, but that it is also very good at taking it easy.  Im a decent rider, I wont claim to be great though I am quite confident in my experience and ability. I know my limits and the bikes, as well as the fact that the roads are not a track, though I'm not as good as quite a few of you judging by y'alls posts and how technical many of you are.  With that being said the old addage about riding a slow bike fast has me,  is the street tripple too much to be able to ride and enjoy like you can the FZ?  I do not consider the FZ fast, it is quick- not fast.  0-80 near almost anything you will realistically see on a daily basis the FZ can keep with or beat. Im not particually looking for fast, I dont need the 150+ mph while doing a wheelie ability.

What and how do you think the FZ07 and Triumph Street Triple 675 compare?

EDIT: Also I WILL NOT be leaving this forum, this is the best forum I have ever seen and been a part of!

• Premium Member

Best of luck in your decision. 

I haven't been able to do anything sit on a Triple, and that already is very different from the FZ. 

Hopefully you can get in a good test ride? 

Only you can decide what it is that gets you going, and that's what matters. Let us know what you decided :)

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

FZ07R WaNaB

I have hit the point where my FZ doesn't wow me anymore. What is does do is allow me to have a lot of fun on a stone reliable bike that now rides great (thanks pattonme). Maybe it's my getting older and losing the need to be an adrenaline junkie that makes me not want to switch - or maybe its the fact I have some kickbutt 2-stroke dirt bikes to give me that wow factor.

Now about that KTM 790 Duke.....

13 minutes ago, firstyammerha said:

check out the other bikes section of this site for more feedback on the Stripple.

I used the search bar, read through any and all of the threads mentioning the triple.

3 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I have hit the point where my FZ doesn't wow me anymore. What is does do is allow me to have a lot of fun on a stone reliable bike that now rides great (thanks pattonme). Maybe it's my getting older and losing the need to be an adrenaline junkie that makes me not want to switch - or maybe its the fact I have some kickbutt 2-stroke dirt bikes to give me that wow factor.

Now about that KTM 790 Duke.....

Yep, sounds like me minus the dirt bikes, unfortunatly.  As for the 790 Duke, I think it would be the perfect answer to my dilemma. Its the like FZ only better in every single way.  But it is not out yet, and when it is here in a few months it will not be in my price range like the FZ/a used triple are.  I'll have to wait for a used 790, given what I've read bout it that will be a while.  Maybe I should hold onto the FZ until I can get onto the KTM...  

FZ07R WaNaB
4 minutes ago, Redstang4 said:

Maybe I should hold onto the FZ until I can get onto the KTM...  

You could do a lot worse. The 790 Duke seems like a FZ-07 on steroids.

BTW, I test rode the 2018 Street Triple which is supposedly much better than the previous model - it was a very nice ride.

KTM 790 Duke came second to the Triumph Street Triple R in the recent MOTORRAD test by just a few points. The two were well ahead of #3, the Z900. The Kawa was deemed to give the most bang for the bucks, though, losing lots of points from missing electronics that many doesn't want anyway. Leave that out of the equation and the 3 are pretty close on points. The MT09 SP ended up last in the 6-bike comparison, though, ending up behind also the GSX-S750 and Monster 821.

The KTM made more power and torque in the midrange than the MT09 and towered over the Triumph there, only beaten - substantially - by the Z900. Both the Z900 and Triumph made well over 120 crank hp on the dyno (127 and 123 respectively).

As the FZ-07 fails to Wow some anymore, I'm just starting my affection for this fine little bike.  Coming off a Duke 690 & 690 Enduro along with a BMW F800GS, I sold all three & bought the "budget" FZ only to find new smiles while not breaking the bank this time.  The 690 Duke was $5k more OTD than my 2017 FZ-07 yet still did not have adjustable forks!  As the Forum knows, the FZ is a great "value" bike.  Sure, I miss the Brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch and KTM fit & finish but must say the FZ surprised me with a beautiful engine even if the suspension (especially the front) needs work.  In summary, my FZ is now bringing me the same grin factor as bikes costing much more so I'm a happy old guy now.

Ridden or driven long enough a person can get used to about anything, become bored with it and forever want more, more, more and so it's (just my opinion, not fact) either you realize that and try and be happy with your bike or forever upgrade, never holding onto peace and happiness. I think this was talked about a couple years back, I remember putting this video up in response.

Beemer

Canceled the test ride.  It is a want and not a need.  I am not sad with the fz, as said I could do worse.  I will keep the peace and happines my fz does give me for she is capible and reliable.  I will hold my wanting to a later date.. say when the 790 Duke is released here in the states and been out awhile.  Then I will give a proper test ride with the Striple and 790 back to back.  

Thank you all.  Especially @Beemer for keeping life's realities in mind, wise man indeed.

I do not lust for new things - mostly. Phones, gadgets, TV monitors, computers, kitchen appliances etc are merely tools and I do not want something else unless they break. With tools it's a bit different because I want to add more and more. You can never get too many tools, you can only run out of space and money 🤓 As to bikes; I have always gone tired of my bikes rather quickly, hence I can well understand what the OP is going through.

The exception is my Scramblerized Virago, which, instead of getting tired of, I like more for each ride. It looks sad. Handling is naff. Braking is tender. It has broken down several times. Ideally, it should be stripped and rebuilt with new paint, bearings, suspension and wiring harness. And more. Despite all that, it always makes me smile when riding it. For the second time in my life - the first was a final edition of the old CB100 I bought new in 1980 - I own a motorcycle that is more than transportation and a tool for having fun. It's a relationship.

Archived