The MT-07 Forum

Is my chain too tight

phanomenal07

phanomenal07

In the picture is my chain without me pushing down on it. When I push down on the chain the distance between the center of the chain and under the guide rail is just under 2 inches. Is that to tight to ride? Would that hurt my engine.

BEC8D1C8-E982-4B2C-9F20-187C3B1D1776.jpeg

phanomenal07

Ok thanks I decided not to ride it today because I figure it was too tight. I’m going to adjusted when I get home if I can buy a torque wrench. So right now it’s about a 1/4 inch too tight. How bad is that to ride on? Is that significant. Because I did ride it for about 100 miles so far since I left the dealership

• Global Moderator

I cannot see 100 miles being a problem, especially as it is not overly tight.  My chaIn stretched quite a bit in the first few hundred miles so make sure you keep an eye on it for a while. .  

phanomenal07

Just wanna make sure this is ok. In the picture is the measurement without pushing on it. It might be a tad over the 2.2 inches when pushing on it but not by much. 

336261AB-61F5-4022-8D7E-247999150C91.jpeg

• Premium Member

Prob will be fine for a little bit as it just at the max of the chain slack amount.  Just keep a close eye on it.  I noticed on mine when i first got it I would get a buzzing feeling from the foot pegs when the chain was loose.  It took me close to 600 miles before the chain more or less settled into not stretching large amounts.

phanomenal07
16 minutes ago, Hellbound said:

Prob will be fine for a little bit as it just at the max of the chain slack amount.  Just keep a close eye on it.  I noticed on mine when i first got it I would get a buzzing feeling from the foot pegs when the chain was loose.  It took me close to 600 miles before the chain more or less settled into not stretching large amounts.

Well I’m over 8000 miles on this chain so I do t think it will be stretching anymore. I just adjust it because the dealer that service my bike had it way too tight

12 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Just wanna make sure this is ok. In the picture is the measurement without pushing on it. It might be a tad over the 2.2 inches when pushing on it but not by much. 

If I recall the owners manual says to apply 3 lbs. of force to the chain so even though that isn't much it can make a big difference between measurements. Just remember to measure with that amount of pressure on it to be more accurate.

Beemer

12 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Well I’m over 8000 miles on this chain so I do t think it will be stretching anymore. I just adjust it because the dealer that service my bike had it way too tight

Sorry guys, these chains do not stretch. They'll elongate with wear on the pins inside the rollers with time and loads of miles, but the side plates never stretch. 

New chains are really stiff. If you don't  pull them out hard enough at the 1st adjustment to straighten it out all of the links, after a ride or 2, the chain will be loose - maybe even a lot loose. But after that play is removed with a second adjustment, the chain should stay stable for a long, long time - 10k miles, maybe more before you ever have to touch it again. 

Of course, riding in the rain a lot, pressure washers, drag strip launches, bad wheel alignment - all manner of whatever chain torture, YRMV!

1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

It won't kill your engine, but your chain will wear out faster.

True, it won't hurt the motor, but because the chain gets tighter as the swinger rises, if you don't allow enough slack,  you will also put undue load on the transmission output shaft bearing and that can fail prematurely as well. 

This is why everyone will say it's best to err on the loose side when it comes to chains.

• 2 weeks later...

If your countershaft sprocket ,  swingarm pivot and rear axle are in line that is the greatest distance your chain will have to go around. Have a friend or two sit on your bike to get the three to line up.  If you can't compress the suspension to get these three in line your chain is to tight. You do need to have some slack at this point. Slightly loose is 10x better than slightly tight.

Wintersdark
On 6/13/2018 at 7:21 PM, phanomenal07 said:

You're measuring it wrong.

As per the owners manual, you should be measuring from the bottom of the guard to the center of the chain, while you're applying downward pressure to the chain.  So, ignoring the fact that you're not pushing down on the chain here, you'd be reading 1 13/16" or ~1.81" not 2.1" - center of the chain, not the bottom.

phanomenal07
4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

You're measuring it wrong.

As per the owners manual, you should be measuring from the bottom of the guard to the center of the chain, while you're applying downward pressure to the chain.  So, ignoring the fact that you're not pushing down on the chain here, you'd be reading 1 13/16" or ~1.81" not 2.1" - center of the chain, not the bottom.

No I was saying when pushing on the chain it measure a tad over 2.2 ish

I really don't think there is anything to worry about.  It just doesn't matter that much.  If you had an fz-09 or fj 09 the recommended chain settings are insane, way too tight, only 5mm-15mm of free play, banjo string tight, which leads to the attached picture.  Those grooves are not machined, they are a result of the chain digging in.   The recommendations for chain slack on the fz 07 are pretty narrow, 2.0 - 2.28 inches or so.  If you are a little off, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  I have about 4800 miles on my bike, and I just pulled off the front sprocket cover for the first time to clean out the gunk and check sprocket wear.  The sprocket is barely worn at all, with tiny grooves, but nothing at all like the attached picture, and my chain had about a quarter inch less distance to the swing arm than recommended for a few hundred miles.  If you are paranoid over a chain that was too tight, take a look at the front sprocket, which you should clean out anyway, and see what it looks like.  It will probably be fine. 

FcIjCta.jpg

the grooves on that picture are extreme to say the least. But the real damage is actually done to the bearings and bearing holders of the countershaft. I picked up a brand new bike today and it's chain was too tight. Set that way by the factory near as I can tell. I told the shop to try again and this time look at the manual (in this case probably accurate) and fix.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Where those dings are in the outer edge of the sprocket, is that metal or hard rubber. Seem to remember people saying that part of the front sprocket is rubber. 

chain slack depends on sprocket sizes, the length/width top to bottom of the swing arm and the distance between the swinger's pivot and the centerline of the front sprocket. The shorter that distance, the tighter the chain can be w/o doing harm to output shaft bearings

markstertt

Those grooves or dings are in the bonded on rubber damping  material and are normal as the side link of the chain presses into the damping rubber to quiet the chain and perhaps damp vibrations. Only OE sprockets have the rubber, however, I couldn't detect any difference with my non damped vortex countershaft sprocket.

And as others have noted, a little loose on the chain is better than to tight.

Yeah, that's what I sorta had floating in the cobwebs. Thanks.

So those small indents in that outer material on the sprocket, left there by the side plates is normal and not an indication of a too-tight chain. 

Archived