blackout

Twins Cup Race....

blackout

• Like 6

Cruizin

Thanks for sharing that! 

bornagainbiker

Great action and decent commentary--thanks--I may have to start following this. 👍

gregjet

Can't see it. blocked for copyright reasons...

blackout
19 hours ago, gregjet said:

Can't see it. blocked for copyright reasons...

I can still see it, odd.

topazsparrow
Posted (edited)

Looks like these bikes are pretty heavily modified. The lead FZ-07 has inverted forks at the very least :(

It'll be interesting to see how the new KTM shakes up this circuit.

Edited by topazsparrow

blackout
1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

Looks like these bikes are pretty heavily modified. The lead FZ-07 has inverted forks at the very least :(

Not sure if USD forks are a huge advantage on our lighter, slower bikes.  You surely would not want to put 43mm USD forks on these bikes as some flex is good.  As far as the rear suspension, you are only allowed to change the shock and link.  The swingarm needs to be stock and pickup locations need to be stock. 

The 790 KTM will most likely need ECU restrictions to remain fair since it's displacement is so high.   This is mentioned as an option in the rules and is already done in the 300 Junior class since those engines vary in size and configuration.

gregjet

USD's big advantage is lack of torsional flex. Conventional forks twist under steering load. Though your point about lateral flex is valid on ultraload bikes , I suspect the  defelection effect at the lean anlges and the speed loads would be insufficient to get a useful effect and even if it did it might be too much to be advantageous or controllable.

When I changed the forks to usd on my ER6 they were lighter than the stock forks. The steering was noticeably more direct even on short low speed circuits.

On the swingarm, often the rules allow things like swingarms to be changed if another swingarm was fitted to a similar model ( eg the longer tracer 07 swingarm),. At least that is what can happen here. Though I suspect the shorter stock one would be better for racing anyway.

pattonme

@gregjet you're blocked because you're IP is from Aus. Check your PM for a way to get around that.

fzar
22 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Thats a Andy Palmer (APMOTOARTS) prepped bike. I know they were building and selling FZ-07's race prepped with R6 front ends, no idea whats up front on that bike being raced.

firstyammerha

Small class- where's the Kawasakis? They seem to be so popular in European racing.

fzar
31 minutes ago, firstyammerha said:

Small class- where's the Kawasakis? They seem to be so popular in European racing.

No idea, I do know that on the road racing circuit the displacement is 650 c.c so no FZ's or sorry MT-07's racing.

firstyammerha

Fzar, that is in Europe I guess you're saying. In this film clip there's an FZ apparently so must be a rule adjustment here. Still no Z650's were mentioned by the commentators so what gives? Nobody running Kawasakis? Why? 

blackout
22 minutes ago, firstyammerha said:

Fzar, that is in Europe I guess you're saying. In this film clip there's an FZ apparently so must be a rule adjustment here. Still no Z650's were mentioned by the commentators so what gives? Nobody running Kawasakis? Why? 

I don't know why, but the Kawasaki twin is not popular for racing in the U.S..  It was the dominant bike at the Northwest 200 in northern Ireland.

firstyammerha

Thanks blackout. Racing is expensive but you'd think Kawasaki would transfer some of the European knowledge back here. Kawasaki does AMA dirt track racing in the U.S. if I remember correctly. Wouldn't that technology transfer to road racing? Just wondering what the story is. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday you know.