The MT-07 Forum

Upside down dash

phanomenal07

phanomenal07

So I’m at my local Yamaha dealer for some service and I notice that they installed all the dash on the 2018 model upside down. Should I be worried?D74DBE9B-363E-43A9-AFA6-FAB2873419A7.thumb.jpeg.30979a0bd53e9c326948c3b692a0bdb9.jpeg

• Premium Member

future owner is a stunt rider who does head stands...its normal... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

Wow, the more I hear about dealerships the happier I am that I do my own maintenance.  If they are that clueless who knows what else they get wrong. 

Geez, that takes talent...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Did you point it out to any non-essential employees there? 

OK, I want to know the name and location of this dealer.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

phanomenal07

I also want to point out that I’ve been here since 1045 and it is now 4:55. I am not happy. I came in for new tires and the 8000 mile service with no issues on my bike. And they said I was good to go about an hr and a half ago but as soon as I sat on the bike and turned the handle I here creeking coming from the steering stem handle bar area. I told them about it and no one has said anything to me since.

I would stop going there and find another dealership if you can. Also, if you have any issues, I would contact Yamaha and complain about the dealership and let them know that they cannot even get the dashes installed properly, providing the above picture as proof.

phanomenal07

If they can’t figure out this steering issue I will definitely be contacting Yamaha. I don’t understand how my bike is worst now then when I brought it in.

• Global Moderator

Have you considered doing the service yourself?  I have some mechanical skill and basic tools and have done my own maintenance.  It is fun and fairly easy, especially if you watch a YouTube video or two if you are not sure of something.  If you are not comfortable with that then find a good local shop and stay away from the dealership, especially that one. 

phanomenal07

Turns out they tighten the steering stem to much or something. Only took them 2 hrs to figure it out. After I started riding home I notice the never tighten my steering damper mount. The thing was basically turning with my handle bar. Inspected my bike when I got home. Half the bolts on the fairing were barely tight enough to stay on. And also they lost the push gromet that holds the fairing together under the seat. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

Turns out they tighten the steering stem to much or something. Only took them 2 hrs to figure it out. After I started riding home I notice the never tighten my steering damper mount. The thing was basically turning with my handle bar. Inspected my bike when I got home. Half the bolts on the fairing were barely tight enough to stay on. And also they lost the push gromet that holds the fairing together under the seat. 

Run away from them and don't look back.

Don't even think about going back. Any shop that inept could get you killed someday.

I'd definitely bring this to the attention of  Yamaha corporate though if for no other reason than to maybe eventually help another rider from becoming a victim

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

9 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

It's time for something equivalent to a Dear John letter.

Beemer

new tires...They had both wheels off, better check all those bolts.

Bristol PA,  I'm embarrassed to be in the same state.

except for warranty work my bikes never see the dealer again.

I bet they charged $400 or more for the 8k service alone.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

phanomenal07

200 for the 8k service 45 dollar for inspection 380 dollars for tires and install

Thanks for the warning about that dealer.. You might try Montgomeryville, if you are staying with dealer services. So far, there work has been good...

phanomenal07
On 6/9/2018 at 9:08 AM, peteinpa said:

new tires...They had both wheels off, better check all those bolts.

Bristol PA,  I'm embarrassed to be in the same state.

except for warranty work my bikes never see the dealer again.

I bet they charged $400 or more for the 8k service alone.

I actually am gonna go to another place to have them double check my tires. I also feel like my chain is too tight but I’m not 100 percent sure

phanomenal07

Hey guys so upon further inspection I notice my axle are at different marks on the swing arm. Is this ok or does it mean my back tire wasn’t put on right

1B99D40B-9983-4CDD-9A08-4D2A7C42B993.jpeg

E6DCA008-2165-4D8A-B527-F3CC9B3A4E3C.jpeg

• Premium Member

You can't rely on the marks to show whether the wheel is aligned correctly. They may or may not be accurate.

You'll want to get independent confirmation via one of any number of wheel alignment verification processes that you can find how-to videos on youtube using readily available "tools".

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Have seen the dealer screw up the dash before but only on one bike. I agree with everyone else that is not the place to have work done.

As stated, the marks on the swing arm are not always accurate, but based on your dealer putting the instrument clusters upside down, I would bet they did not use anything to check wheel alignment and your wheel is slightly off. The marks should match on both sides. I would suggest adjusting the wheel so the marks match until you can use a better way to check the wheel alignment, that small of an error is unlikely to have any noticeable impact on the handling of the bike, but is just another indicator of the poor mechanical expertise of the mechanics at your shop. You need to do your own servicing or find a better shop.

Gary

phanomenal07

It really sux that I paid them all that money just to come home and try to figure all this out on my own. So far I checked the wheel alignment and it seems to be pretty aligned as far as I can tell. Also the chain seems to be on to tight. But I’m not quite sure. I rode it for quite awhile and the steering seems to be really stiff and I’m not sure if that’s because of my tires or they still had the steering stem too tight. The bike seems to just fall into corners but no play in the handle bar at all. It almost feels like how it felt when I first got my steering damper before it broke in. 

Ps the guy said “tuning my engine” was part of the service. That doesn’t mean he messed with my ecu and reflash at all right?

Archived