The MT-07 Forum

Some are just suckers for punishment

faffi

Mom says can't ride it, ha!

Then there's something basic I don't trust about Johnny, it's how he talks. He's slow talking/picking and choosing his words too much which is usually an indicator he's not being 100% honest. Also, selling as project bike cause he knows it's pretty effed up, I'm so sure.

Beemer

Strange, because I consider him very honest. If he wasn't, why would he spend time and money of wheels, cleaning, chain removing, inspection when it's pretty certain he will not get paid back for it all? However, I am not all that convinced about his judgement and mechanical empathy - or lack thereof. The way he lets cold engines that has sat for 3 decades scream just after being fired is one thing that hits me physically every time I watch it. Still, the amount of time they spend on each machine to make sure they are mechanically correct - or that the owner will know they are not - is something I find quite admirable. 

I only watched it up to 1:25 because he said they were going to sell it as a project bike and probably wouldn't get to hear it run. At that point I lost interest in the video, clicked off and assumed what I did. If he did everything you said he did after 1:25 then that puts him in a different light. I'll take your word for it that he's alright.

Beemer

firstyammerha

Having owned a 1989 Honda VTR 250 four years ago when I was testing the waters after being out of the game for 30 years, parts for old bikes can be really hard to get and can be expensive when you find them. The VTR petcock seals(o rings) were like the proverbial unicorn. There were other basic oem parts which were no longer available from Honda or the aftermarket which pushed me to trade the little beastie for a CB500F. Like the voltage regulator- but there's someone who rebuilds them. Just didn't want to push my luck and end up with a garage queen that I'd have to part out.    

Firstyammerha, I raced a 1999 vtr250 only 6 years ago. Pretty much everything was available . Where are you?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

USA,Georgia. This was around 2014 and the bike's forum was full of people looking for parts. There were people rebuilding stators I recall but petcock and carb parts seemed real scarce. The local race bike shop that helped me bring the bike up to safe street riding standards wanted that bike bad. I should have sold it to them but got a reasonable deal on the CB500f at a dealer and that was the simpler route to take. 

Archived