The MT-07 Forum

HELP: Can you Identify these wires?

thedriver1

thedriver1

Walked out to my bike to re-install the ECU and discovered a mess. It looks like a squirrel got under the cover, left a peanut under my starter and then chewed through my wiring harness. Bike cranks but won't start. 5d__21 code on the dash, so I'm guessing one set of wires is coolant temp sensor.

See attached pictures but there's one trashed connector on the back of the block just under the airbox with blue/black and green/white wires. These might just be able to be soldered back together. 

There's another destroyed connector just next to the starter. Triangular shaped, with a blue/yellow wire, white wire, and possible another though I can't tell. This connector itself is scratched up and may need to be replaced.

Let me know if you anyone has suggestions for fixing it. I have an extended manufacturer warranty that I may to try making a claim on but I tend to doubt they cover animal attacks... lol

20180606_194915-1134x2016.jpg

20180606_193840-1134x2016.jpg

20180606_193850-1134x2016.jpg

thedriver1

Update: I've found a wiring diagram and identified the two wires as being the coolant temp sensor.

The wire colors for the triangular plug are Blue/Yellow, Black/Blue, and White/Yellow and I cannot figure out what they go to

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, thedriver1 said:

The wire colors for the triangular plug are Blue/Yellow, Black/Blue, and White/Yellow and I cannot figure out what they go to

these are located right under the big connection block at the starter- these are for the ECU- I do know the white/yellow wire is a speed signal wire...

20180607_014815.jpg

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

20180607_014857-1.jpg

that stock airbox blocks quite a bit of view and hand space eh?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

the 3 wires go to this speed sensor located right between the starter and upper rear shock mount...

20180607_020030.jpg

and the big wire block goes to the gear position sensor located behind the front sprocket cover...

thedriver1

6 hours ago, norcal616 said:

these are located right under the big connection block at the starter- these are for the ECU- I do know the white/yellow wire is a speed signal wire...

Wow, great pictures, thank you! 

The speed sensor makes sense, the only place I could find those wire colors in the wiring diagram was in the diagram for the ABS.

However, my bike doesn't have ABS, so what is that speed sensor used for?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, thedriver1 said:

Wow, great pictures, thank you! 

The speed sensor makes sense, the only place I could find those wire colors in the wiring diagram was in the diagram for the ABS.

However, my bike doesn't have ABS, so what is that speed sensor used for?

engine speed IIRC ( been a few years since I had to tap into that sensor for the PCV) 

thedriver1
On 6/7/2018 at 9:06 AM, norcal616 said:

engine speed IIRC 

Dead on!

I started pulling things apart and discovered the the wires for the coolant temp sensor were severed at the harness, but the wires for the engine speed sensor were severed on the connector side.

I was able to re-solder the coolant temp sensor and added some heat shrink for insulation and chafe resistance. Unfortunately that damn squirrel completely trashed the engine speed sensor connector so I couldn't re-use that. Dealership quoted $88, found it online off a wrecked bike for $55 shipped and it's on it's way to my house.

Guess I'll leave the bike uncovered for now so that it isn't a nice dry place for squirrels. 

20180609_114141-1134x2016.jpg

20180609_110038-2016x1134.jpg

I'm thinking that "speed sensor" is for the speedometer. Note the color codes for the wire colors used for diagnosis. You might get an error code, but  I would think the bike should start and run w/o.  

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 5.30.03 PM.png

Mice use the nice flat surfaces on the boxer motor in my Subaru to nest. They leave a mess - thankfully they haven'y used the wiring as a chew toy - yet.

2 hours ago, rick said:

I'm thinking that "speed sensor" is for the speedometer. Note the color codes for the wire colors used for diagnosis. You might get an error code, but  I would think the bike should start and run w/o.  

That would make a lot of sense. The bike did start and run with no codes with only the coolant sensor plugged in and the RPM worked properly. I didn't ride it to test the speedo yet.

But the new sensor should be in by Friday and the exhaust will go on sometime this week. I'm very ready to ride it again

Just amazing how one little critter can do so much damage that requires so much effort to fix. Sounds like you have it sorted and will be up and running in short manner. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a bit too busy to post on these forums recently, but I wanted to give an update to conclude this adventure. The new engine speed sensor showed up from Ebay, I installed it and the bike runs perfectly again. All sensors appeared to be reading accurately. 

I've attached a picture of the old and new sensor for anyone in the future needing to diagnose the engine speed sensor. 

20180624_133312-2016x1134.jpg

Archived