The MT-07 Forum

Bad-ass Electric Bicycles

Beemer

I guess this is the place for this thread, it's not the kind of bike expected to talk about but it is a bike so here they are and if only they were cheaper I would have one for bicycle trails around here. Even just zipping around the neighborhood could be fun on one of these. I would be the curb hopping terror of Sun City!

Beemer

Most of the electric bikes weigh a ton. Curb hopping would require substantial effort. Best electric I have seen are for offroad.

Trek makes some beauties and I have been on explore rides 40-50km with people riding them.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/c/B512/

The better electric now use a centre motor not hub motors. More efficient, more torque so longer range.

MotoE next or the year after.

See if your anal sphincter can stay relaxed watching this

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

And for those yof you that insist you need noise to have an awesome race, Here's volts.

• Premium Member

Tracking racing will get a huge boost in participation when electric bikes start becoming the norm... you could build a track downtown in a decent metro area for electric only cars/bikes since the noise lvls are low vs building a track out in the boonies to keep the ppl happy when running open headered engines bouncing off the rev limiter... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

18 hours ago, gregjet said:

And for those yof you that insist you need noise to have an awesome race, Here's volts.

I know in the past I said I would rather have noise in my races but that's just for an added sensory to enjoy, kinda like experiencing a partners Ooo's and aaaah's when having seks, which I wouldn't want to do without. No doubt tho that electric bikes/motorcycles can excel in the performance dept.

Beemer

11 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Id still rather have an Alta. These things are now schooling traditional motocross bikes. 

I know they can be faster than traditional bikes but are they good for all day trail riding when you're on the throttle fairly hard a lot? I know they have a range like anything else but I know that range can decline drastically depending on the terrain, throttle input, rider weight, etc, etc. Is packing a spare battery in a bck pack an option for electric bikes or would they be too heavy/bulky? I don't know much about these motorcycles so I have to ask.

Beemer

The battery range thing is exactly what makes them a better race bike than a standard use bike. You are never going to run out of battery in the middle of nowhere. You canhave several batteries in the pits and have them charge while you are racing another. They change tyres in the middle of races , why not batteries if the race is long enough.

Especially local races. Our local track the races were mostly 6 or 8 laps long. The very reason I thought of E racing was because one of out locals ran a total loss ignition systen and changed the battery after every few races.

That plus a couple of things about actually being on a race bike:

You tend to dampen down the sound of the engine in you head anyway. You unconsciously listen for queues but not much more.

And... the high pitch of the chain noise winding up is pretty exciting , at least at the rider level. Sounds like a quieter version of F1 from the turbo engine days.

I got off track a little between talking about E-bicycles and E-bikes (motorcycles). I was wondering whether if riding an 'E-bicycle' on trails for hours would require a person to have to pack an extra battery in a back pack but with the range it has I suppose one battery would be enough for the average ride through a local state park. I'm thinking if I did 20 miles of trails I'd be wore out. I'd love to have that Trek bike.

Beemer

The thing about an e bicycle is you can't actually get stuck with a flat battery. Especially "pedelec" which only assists when you are peddling ( servo motor effectively). You just end up with a heavyish mtb and no extra drag with the mid engined ones. Wheel motors are another story. They have big drag sometimes. I am happy peddling a light bike with no motor, Though there was a 93km offroad we did last year with some insane climbs that I could have used an assist motor!

The last ride I went on with e MTB's was 35km. They had no trouble and there was some small/medium steep climbs.

• Premium Member

My recumbent electric bicycle can easily run at 20mph, up to 30 if needed. It's not a speedy bike but very good for getting around. 

DSC04841.JPG

That motor looks a bit interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

I like the electric formula E car races and I'm really p.o.'d that I missed the IoM electric bike race this year thanks to my screwy Dish programming. I believe they were only about 10 mph slower than the fast guys but right up there with the side cars. It's only a matter of time. whirr... 

Bigturbomax
On 6/1/2018 at 12:02 PM, Beemer said:

I guess this is the place for this thread, it's not the kind of bike expected to talk about but it is a bike so here they are and if only they were cheaper I would have one for bicycle trails around here. Even just zipping around the neighborhood could be fun on one of these. I would be the curb hopping terror of Sun City!

Im right up the road in g-town, id be happy to be the terror of sun city on one of these! LOL

My buddy just bought the Trek mountain bike so we took it and the DRZ's up to the Sierras last month. I believe the Trek is around 56-58#'s?  Very nicely made and with full suspension and great miniature disc brakes (Brembo?). I weigh around 150 # and found the suspension to stiff for me but they may have lighter fork springs. As soon as you start to pedal, the assist is right there and it was fun to cycle thru the 4 modes of power and feel the immediate difference. Shifting was almost indiscernible with just the smallest click and the whine from the motor was just enough to let you know it was there...in full power mode and effortless pedaling, I was hitting 18-20 miles per hr. down a rocky dirt road and only slowed down because of the pounding my hands/arms were taking from the stiffish suspension...in fairness to Trek I didn't adjust the front suspension compression but left everything as it came...not my bike. 

After a half day of trail riding, my buddy came back with 3/4 charge left on the battery...I can see an electric bike in my stable but would like it to be more like an electric trials bike...health wise, I would be better off with the e-pedal type though. I see Yamaha also makes an electric mountain bike but I have yet to google it so don't know anything about it.

The suspension should be air. you adjust the suspension with a shock pump ( both ends). Ginat make an ebike with a Yamaha motor as well.

I'll have to ask buddy if he got a manual with the bike....I didn't think to ask. Air makes sense....lighter than springs. Fun machine for sure.

Youtube it. There are a huge number of vids on adjusting mtb forks properly. But you need a shock pump. Most bikes with air suspension should come with the shock pump.

• 1 month later...

Two ebikes I built 3 years ago.  I was going for lightweight and stealth. The mountain bike weighs in at 31lbs, and beach cruiser is right at 40lbs.  Pretty light for ebikes.  750W middrive motors in both.  Really fun, fairly fast, and great range when peddling. 

I bike to work most days, and ride my FZ only a couple days a week.

JdE5rxYI81waOPsoYtM4fq7nvSM-mI9UasiHIQ-Y

nAQ8Xw0uI0ZtmIaVFTL7u2-D3RAJLB0vYO4R0xLZ

Spanglo,

Are those VERY ancient Rock shox sids!!!! When they came out mobile phines pretty much didn't exist. Can you get dinosaurs with that? Cool retro. Love the cruiser and the motor psoitioning.

It's an old motor/controller design. limited range and power drops off as everything heats up with the bafang motors. About time they modernized the motors/controllers. These ones have been around for a while now. A friend of mine built up a road/commuter on an mtb frame with a 500-750W motor. loses torque with sustained climbing

Archived