The MT-07 Forum

The Best Ear Plugs

Beemer

Sometimes the wind can be earitating (slap!) so maybe this video can help.

Beemer

topazsparrow

Best earplugs I ever used:

https://www.amazon.ca/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B015S2I6A0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527819818&sr=8-4&keywords=IEM

with this stuff jammed around the edges:

https://www.amazon.ca/Macks-Pillow-Silicone-Earplugs-Value/dp/B003LZQGN6

Custom earplugs seem to shrink and let some wind in and end up actually being louder than no earplugs IMO. With this system I just redo the silicone part every few weeks as needed. Works like charm and seals perfectly every time.

4 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Best earplugs I ever used:

https://www.amazon.ca/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B015S2I6A0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527819818&sr=8-4&keywords=IEM

with this stuff jammed around the edges:

https://www.amazon.ca/Macks-Pillow-Silicone-Earplugs-Value/dp/B003LZQGN6

Custom earplugs seem to shrink and let some wind in and end up actually being louder than no earplugs IMO. With this system I just redo the silicone part every few weeks as needed. Works like charm and seals perfectly every time.

Is there a trick with the MEE's?  I have them, but cannot take my helmet off without the neck padding of the helmet almost ripping my ears off when trying to remove.  It also gets caught on the over the ear cable...  Disappointing since I purchased the MEE's specifically for riding...

I since purchased the NoNoise moto (orange), but they aren't as good as the NoNoise Music (purple) that I originally had and lost.

I have wondered if these might be successful. I am currently satisfied with my lumps of tissue paper. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decibullz-Custom-Moulded-Earplugs-Travel/dp/B00WIXL6IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491166947&sr=8-1&keywords=decibullz%2Bcustom%2Bmolded%2Bearplugs&th=1

Zephyr, I wear a  strip of leather over my head from ear to ear. This allows the helmet to slip off without interfering with ear plugs. 

Just do it! 

topazsparrow
10 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Is there a trick with the MEE's?  I have them, but cannot take my helmet off without the neck padding of the helmet almost ripping my ears off when trying to remove.  It also gets caught on the over the ear cable...  Disappointing since I purchased the MEE's specifically for riding...

I since purchased the NoNoise moto (orange), but they aren't as good as the NoNoise Music (purple) that I originally had and lost.

There is a bit of a trick to earbuds in generally.

It's best if you put the helmet on, on an angle. So one ear goes in first. You can press the earbud in and hold it tight to prevent your ear from folding over and popping it off. Bit tricky to explain, but you'll get what i mean if you try a few times.

The biggest difference for me was wearing a neck gator and pulling it up over my rears. It lets the helmet slide right over and if it's my spring / fall one, it's nice and thick so it actually presses the earplugs in with a very light pressure while riding.

topazsparrow
5 hours ago, robbo10 said:

I have wondered if these might be successful. I am currently satisfied with my lumps of tissue paper. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decibullz-Custom-Moulded-Earplugs-Travel/dp/B00WIXL6IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491166947&sr=8-1&keywords=decibullz%2Bcustom%2Bmolded%2Bearplugs&th=1

Zephyr, I wear a  strip of leather over my head from ear to ear. This allows the helmet to slip off without interfering with ear plugs. 

My experience with custom earplugs has been good at first, then bad over time. They seem to shrink or something... not sure what but the seal never stays good over time.

My buddy tried all sorts of custom earplugs online, in the end he dropped about 200 bucks on legit medical grade silicone custom earplugs that the hearing aid companies make and has been extremely happy with the results for some time now - he also runs earbuds in them fyi.

I had some silicone custom earplugs made. Felt like a good seal after he'd formed them in my ears. As soon as the helmet was on, they changed position and my ears were flattened. They no longer sealed and I was worse off than  before. I think I should have let them set with the helmet on. 

Just do it! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032BYCWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using these for a couple weeks now and I recommend them over standard plugs. The best thing about them is they are adjustable. They come with two different inserts. One which blocks noise at a medium level and another that blocks it at a higher level. I prefer the medium so that I can hear things around me better and still retain hearing safety.

Beemer

On 6/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, robbo10 said:

I have now tried the Decibullz but not with any success. I have reshaped them a few times (you boil them) but I still cannot get a sealed fit. You mold them in your ear and it seems to me that this involves pushing the ear out of shape. I think I will never get a fit. (I want a pair that will do nightime too!)

Just do it! 

This may be a silly question, but has anyone actually measured the real SPL inside a helmet AT the ear. I occurs to me that a helmet is an oversized set of earmuffs anyway and the SPL shouldn't be that high anyway. The sound reduction should be BEFORE the sound get to the eat oriface...just saying.

Information in that direction would be apreciated ( and NOT by some ear plug manufacture with a vested interest).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...

EAR PLUGS? What are earplugs?

I've always worn ear-BUDS. I commute daily and listen to music. The best earbuds I've found, and weirdly enough pretty cheap, are the CobblePro earbuds on Amazon or eBay. Truly wireless, fit under even my tightest helmet. Turn them on, set the volume level (about half volume maybe a touch more), paired with my phone, and go. Still hear the stock rumble a bit on the highway (75mph, no windscreen) but I'd say wind noise on some helmets is a tad louder than that. I still have a Sena SMH-10. Advantage there is outside control of calls, music, other riders (never used the latter). But you shouldn't be talking on a bike so the CobblePro  does alert you of calls, notifications, etc... Pull over and stop to talk when it's a call. The people that know me know that if I don't answer a call right away, I'm probably on my bike... lol. 

Archived