The MT-07 Forum

Sad news from Isle of man, Dan Kneen dies during qualifying

Cruizin

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/05/30/dan-kneen-dies-during-isle-of-man-tt-superbike-qualifying/

"During the Wednesday’s Superbike qualifying session for the 2018 Isle of Man TT, Dan Keen died due to injuries sustained in a high-speed crash at Churchtown, a part of the 37.73-mile Mountain Course that leads to Ramsey, ACU Events Ltd reports."

This brings the total amount of riders to be killed on that course since 1911 to 251. It is the deadliest race in the world, with deaths every year. Last year three racers died. 

It's an addictive dance with death, this race. RIP Dan and condolences to his family, friends and fans. 

2018-dan-kneen-dies-tt-crash-wednesday-may-30.jpg

I don't follow road races and honestly didn't know of him until now but he was still a fellow biker so RIP Mr. Kneen and condolences to his family. I'm sure he will be missed.

Beemer

Although it may sound like a hollow comfort, he died doing what he loved, although it is still sad. They all know the risks involved, and they still opt to participate. Personally, I find it more sad when a soldier gets killed in combat, because usually they are forced into that situation, not doing something they are passionate about.

• Premium Member

Sad situation, thoughts to his family and friends. He was such a humble ,and talented guy. He died doing what he loved, on his home soil, 30 years old. The Isle of Man TT is always going to be one of those places that bring the feeling of  exhilaration, and Deep sadness every year.

23 minutes ago, faffi said:

They all know the risks involved, and they still opt to participate.

This is all part of it @faffi, as you said. Its part of the almost like gravitational pull for Road Racers, short-circut racers, and privateer amateurs.  Lets hope the others stay safe out there this week, especially as Dean Harrison and Mickey D are setting sub- 17 minute laps in practice. Man I love Road Racing and hate it some times when ya get that gut wrenching feeling in the bottom of my stomach.

R.I.P  Dan Kneen

• Premium Member

Anyone who's interested in listening to the practice and racing can do so here https://www.manxradio.com/on-air/manx-radio-tt/  make sure you listen to the AM choice not the (FM) the times they give are GMT so if your in the US its GMT 18:00 - 5 HRs EST, - 6 HRS CST, and so on.

If your interested in watching it it can be seen on https://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/isle-of-man/ theres some subscription to get it live, I pay my cable provider to get Velocity tv and it will show a taped version of the practice and racing starting this Saturday. And runs  a nightly show for a week.

If you check CBS sports network in the US, they frequently have Road Racing from Ireland and England, thats kinda unheard of here in the US, all the guys and gals that race the TT and BSB have to keep in practice, theres some unreal racing going on e.g Ulster GP, Faugheen, Cookstown, Skerries, the list goes on.

Its my preferred drug of choice when it comes to motorcycle racing. The gift that keeps on giving, Pity it take some away from us who partake in this sport.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:47 AM, faffi said:

Although it may sound like a hollow comfort, he died doing what he loved, although it is still sad. They all know the risks involved, and they still opt to participate. Personally, I find it more sad when a soldier gets killed in combat, because usually they are forced into that situation, not doing something they are passionate about.

By the same token, military guys know what they're getting into when they join any branch of military service, especially during war time so they aren't forced and there are military people that are very passionate about their jobs when they're fighting because they all want to keep their selves and their buddies alive and well. That's just my perspective. Someone else's could be different from both of ours.

Beemer

I didn't mean they do not take their jobs seriously - I meant that in my experience, few join the army to actually go into combat for the sake of the combat itself. In case of an ongoing conflict, they may join to protect their country, not as pleasure. Most of them, at least. Those racing IoM do it merely as an ego trip. Nothing wrong with that, but the motivation is - at least to me - very different.

• Global Moderator

I just read that there was another fatality in one of the races. 

19 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I just read that there was another fatality in one of the races. 

That race usually has 2-3 deaths per year. The Irish road racing is also very dangerous. I mean they are doing 180 mph on old skinny streets with homes and buildings lining the side of the street. 

These guys all know the extreme dangers and risks and have bigger balls than I. 

• Global Moderator
3 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

That race usually has 2-3 deaths per year. The Irish road racing is also very dangerous. I mean they are doing 180 mph on old skinny streets with homes and buildings lining the side of the street. 

It is amazing to watch but there is no way I would ever race there (if I had the talent that is).  It is way too dangerous for me. 

12 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

It is amazing to watch but there is no way I would ever race there (if I had the talent that is).  It is way too dangerous for me. 

Most Moto GP guys say the same thing. It take a different kind of rider to want to compete with death. I want to watch Isle of Man on vacation someday though. 

Heck, maybe some of us could all meet up and go one year. That would be fun. 

IoM was the only race that tempted me to do when I was younger and thought I knew how to ride. Now I am older and have realized I do not know how to ride, plus the bikes have become insanely fast, but I'd still like to ride a slow, classic bike around there. Track riding is something I find boring, though; fun to watch if there is a fight going on, but I get bored after riding a few laps myself. Street course is far more interesting.

15 hours ago, Cruizin said:

It makes me wonder, if the very best racers in the world die on tracks like this then it would seem we can expect a lot more deaths from non pros with much less skill that ride their bikes like they're racing everyone on every day city streets that aren't set up/closed off for racing with the added obstacle of cars switching lanes in front of you without any warning.

I've mentioned before that where I live most people ride cruisers and it's sort of odd that since throughout the years I've heard a number of Cruiser riders make ill comments about crotch rocket riders and how their owners ride them so fast and make bikers look bad but what I've seen more than anything in my neck of the woods is cruiser riders riding fast and weaving in and out of traffic with no signals of any kind acting as though their bike is the sh*t. (that's the funny part of it, 700+ lb. bikes being fast) the DewMan and I never ride like that. Apparently, not all but many of them only talk the talk.

Beemer

firstyammerha

I watched a few of the Real Road Racing shows last year and I was amazed at how narrow the roads were. Cow paths would be a better description. But I don't recall anyone being killed or any big crashes. Competition can be done at lower speeds. These races would test a riders skill at braking and cornering.

• Premium Member
On 6/4/2018 at 5:17 PM, Cruizin said:

Most Moto GP guys say the same thing. It take a different kind of rider to want to compete with death. I want to watch Isle of Man on vacation someday though. 

Heck, maybe some of us could all meet up and go one year. That would be fun. 

Totally correct, the motoGP guys want nothing to do with it, VR actually visited the racing on the island and said no way, never. Now you have to understand they have a different career path, (contracts to manufacturers, sponsors, etc.) all outstandingly financially beneficial to the rider (motoGP) and the teams. They are not allowed to do it, nor would they want to jeopardize their contracts to do so. BTW ( Giacomo Agostini) did it.  Dan Kneen , Ian Hutchinson, Michael Dunlop, Dean Harrison, Peter Hickman, etc. This is their job and their passion, it brings home a decent amount of money if they win, it may cover the cost of parts, travel and paying the team if they don't. Some I know payed to race there out of their own pocket with some support from small sponser's on a tight  budget that they mainly front the money themselves with buddy's who are tuners and dealership owners that help them out after years of buying parts and equipment from them. Yeah I'm getting on it, My cousin rode the TT and YES I'm glad he's still alive to tell the tale. 

I'm trying hard to get there next year with a good motorcycle buddy of mine, its a lot to organize, but were going to try. Not to race, but maybe we can ride the island.

Back in the days, the IoM was part of the GP calendar from 1949 through 1976, which is why Ago, Sheene and many more of the GP stars raced there. Sheene only in 1971, which was enough to tell him it was way too dangerous.

Archived