The MT-07 Forum

Upshifting without turning off throttle?

captainkool4

captainkool4

Hey Just got a 2018 mt07, lovely forum.

When I shut off the throttle to upshift, every time the bike slows down dramatically, almost abruptly, I was wondering if its harmful to the bike to just reduce the throttle before an upshift instead of shutting it off completely.  My hope is that I can reduce it and then upshift without the bike abruptly decelerating.

Thanks so much.

Sure. But if you want to truly get the most out of this beast, get your ECU flashed and that'll kill the engine braking. One of the best mods you can do IMO.

Oh! And welcome to the forum!

• Global Moderator

You just want to reduce the throttle enough to have the rpm about where it will be for the next gear.  Let off the throttle then as fast as you can pull in the clutch, shift up, release the clutch as you get the throttle back to about the same position you had.  You will be surprised how quickly and smoothly you can upshift.  It just takes practice. 

Yes, the bike should not slow (appreciably)  when you upshift, if it does you are letting off the throttle before pulling the clutch; throttle off/clutch in/ shift gear should happen more or less simultaneously, with just a fraction of delay between them. And when I say fraction, it's in the hundredths of a second range, not tenths.

sniperelite

Try shifting without the clutch, when done correctly it causes no harm to the transmission. the FZ doesn't like this on the low side of the rpm's though.

A bit of useful information. For ORDINARY RIDING ( ie not full rpm racing) , when you shift the THROTTLE OPENING will be the same in the new gear as it was in the old one. Although the rpm will be lower, the load on the engine will be the same for the same speed over the ground, espceially on a properly EFI bike.

Don't shut the throttle . Hold the throttle at the same position and as you pull the clutch in momentarily blip the throttle ( ie quickly raise the rpm slightly) to unload the gears, then as you get to the new gear return it to the previous position. There will probably be a youtube vid on this . There is for everything else, except how to remove the stub axle from a w638 model Mercedes van...grumble, grumble...That will get you in the ball park, then you will have only a small adjust. You will refine it as you get more experience with the bike, and which gears do what. The numerical gear differences are almost always a little different between each gear.

Remember more rpm doesn't necessarily mean more throttle.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

a Quick Shifter....

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Red_ak_ranger

I’m a pretty shet shifting newbie so far and I’ve noticed as a get more comfortable with shifting at higher RPMs it becomes smoother and quicker for me.  

• Premium Member

it also dont take much pull of the clutch lever to shift, I say its close to the amount needed to pull a trigger on a handgun for example... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

You're most likely simply taking too long to make the shift.

Practice at it, and it will get better.

I close the throttle while shifting, myself.

• Premium Member
Littlebriar

All action should be done quickly and movement of clutch and throttle should be very slight. As stated above, you don't need the clutch to upshift. Simply apply some upward pressure on the shifter, then quickly reduce throttle and the shifter will move to next gear without the clutch. Return throttle to original position quickly. It's not hard on the bike. It's harder to do on the lower gears but 3 to 4 and above it can be super smooth and quick.

Practice, practice, practice...

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

17 hours ago, faffi said:

Yes, the bike should not slow (appreciably)  when you upshift, if it does you are letting off the throttle before pulling the clutch; throttle off/clutch in/ shift gear should happen more or less simultaneously, with just a fraction of delay between them. And when I say fraction, it's in the hundredths of a second range, not tenths.

Agreed 100%. I was going to say just shift quicker and don't let off the throttle so much but you said it better. An ECU flash is real nice to have but not necessary for smooth shifts.

Beemer

phanomenal07

What helps me is starting the movement of my left hand and foot before the movement of my right hand and it gets my shift to simultaneous. Whenever I try to just do everything at once  I also feel the abrupt jerk. I think it’s because the left hand has more distance to move where the right hand only have to barely let off the throttle

captainkool4

Thanks for all the help guys, I've starred to concentrate on reducing the throttle just enough, not all the way, and then to match the throttle to the new revs as I release the clutch. My shifting has gotten much, much smoother.

Practice will make it a non issue eventually. You shouldn't have to mod the bike to be able to properly shift. WHen you can properly shift, then you should mod the bike so you know what has changed and adjust your driving style accordingly.

If you are really accelerating you need to be in perfect sequence with your clutch, gear shift and throttle. Otherwise you can buy yourself time by pulling in the clutch, shifting and then rolling back onto the throttle as you release the clutch. 

It becomes second nature for how you need to shift for what style of riding. 

Archived