The MT-07 Forum

Do you typically ride with the revs high?

faffi

I know many for some reason habitually ride around in fairly low gears with little throttle. Personally, I prefer to carry as few revs as possible without putting undue strain on the engine as more rpm basically means more wear and more fuel consumption. You only need about 10 hp to cruise at 60 mph anyway.

Here is an example, if you can stand it, where I rider IMO ride around in gears far too low for the conditions - YMMV.

• Premium Member

I couldn't understand what the guy in the video was saying due to his thick accent.

After accelerating to speed, I'm rarely above 4k RPM on the tach cruising unless I'm in 6th gear because  It's hard to get the FZ-07 up to 80+ MPH without exceeding 4k RPM.  😜

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

If no one is around I will cruise at lower rpm in a higher gear but never lugging it for the speed I'm doing. I try to be nice to my engine. If around in traffic I tend to be on the alert more and will keep it in the rpm range that if I crack the throttle it will zoom without hesitation. There's something I started doing lately when approaching stop lights, everyone knows about that moment when you're at that certain distance away from a light when it turns yellow and it's a tough call, do I get on the brakes hard or do I hit the gas hard? What I've started doing in preparation of that (since I don't like sitting at lights) is different. In the past when cruising in that low rpm range when that happened I always found my self downshifting two gears to get the bike to accelerate the way it needed to to make the light (cause yellow means go faster, ha!).

What I do now is I down shift just one gear and hold my speed but at a higher rpm when approaching a light even before it changes so that way if it does change I may only have to down shift once more to get the burst of speed required to get past that white line before the light turns red. I can usually double downshift quick enough to not have to do this but there's something about it I like, it doesn't feel as frantic doing it this way so I'm sticking with it.

Beemer

Beemer, I consider that different to riding around in the 7-8k rpm range more or less constantly. Being prepared for an actual situation makes sense to just about everyone. If you could be arsed to watch through the video (not fun) you will see that he is using a hell of lot of rpm and low gears virtually all the time for no apparent reason. 

16 hours ago, faffi said:

Beemer, I consider that different to riding around in the 7-8k rpm range more or less constantly. Being prepared for an actual situation makes sense to just about everyone. If you could be arsed to watch through the video (not fun) you will see that he is using a hell of lot of rpm and low gears virtually all the time for no apparent reason. 

Sorry, I didn't watch the whole video, just a few seconds of it and I simply read yours and DewMan's statements real quick but I'll take your word for it. 7-8k rpm all the time and for no apparent reason just doesn't make any sense to me either. Maybe this morning I can bring myself to watch it all. I was rushed yesterday morning trying to get ready to go to St. Pete to visit the DewMan and just didn't have the time I normally have behind the pc in the morning.

Edit: Ok, after watching the video I'm reminded of past talk here about reasons some people ride their bikes in higher gear in traffic and 'maybe' that's why he does the 7-8k rpm range riding, to keep it up in the power-band in case he has to move quickly to avoid getting ran into??? Other than that, I don't see any reason to push the bike like that unless he simply likes the sound of the bike at higher rpm's but as you said and no matter the reason, it doesn't do any wonders for the longevity of the bike. That's for sure!

Beemer

Archived