The MT-07 Forum

Niken first ride Review Video!

DewMan

• Premium Member

Fresh off the presses from the guys over at Motorcyclist Magazine.  Yes! It'll wheelie!

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Its cool and I applaud Yamaha for having the balls to innovate. 

But...

Who is this bike really for, and will it sell? 

Its not for beginning riders. 

And it wont really make veteran riders any faster. 

So, just who will be shelling out $16,000 for this bike that has more grip on rainy or gravel littered roads?

Maybe people in rainy climates like Seattle?  I dunno. 🙄

MCN's tester thought it would make a tourer rather than for riding back road twisties.  Like the iphone starting out for making calls, this Niken might stray into unexpected uses - extra grip or not. At some cost, mind.

Just do it! 

Well speaking for here ( Aus), and being in the Ulysses club ( growing old disgracefully) ( Google it), more and more of them are buying trikes and Spyders, as they get older, and can't get on and off an ordinary bike, but want to be in the wind. They will lap it up. Most of them ride with their wives on the back ( although more respect if she rides her own), and trikes inspire more acceptance in the missuses...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Long ago I heard someone say that scooters were for men that were afraid they would crash and hurt their vaginers so maybe it's for that crowd??? Ha! I joke but maybe it is just for people that simply want a little more assurance in the corners like how some people prefer posi-track over right tire wheel spin. Maybe those people won't care about price, track or straight line performance as much as stability/their safety in a turn. Everyone has their reasons so it will be interesting to hear what owners of the Niken will say their reason for buying one was. My number one guess as to the reason is "because it simply looks cool and they could afford it."

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...
firstyammerha

When I was in west Atlanta, the spyder type trikes were very common. I often saw group riding around town. I can see them being easier to ride for those with physical disabilities. One brand has semi-automatic gearboxes. I'm surprised no one has put them on the track somewhere.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator

They have a price on the US website now.  $15,999, and a 580 lbs weight. 

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Thats a lot of money. We'll see if it sells. 

Your previous guess  of USD$16k was spot on ! 👍 My guess of USD$20k was way off.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

29 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Your previous guess  of USD$16k was spot on ! 👍 My guess of USD$20k was way off.

After dealer fees, options, and taxes, 20k will be a realistic actual cost. 

I don't get the extra grip claim. Yes, two wheels, but each one has half the weight on it. More stable? Definitely. More grip? Not buying it. 

5 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

After dealer fees, options, and taxes, 20k will be a realistic actual cost. 

I don't get the extra grip claim. Yes, two wheels, but each one has half the weight on it. More stable? Definitely. More grip? Not buying it. 

Yeah, the weight distribution puts the whole front ends grip thing in to uncharted territory. Maybe it does offer more grip, but I don't think it's as simple as 2x tires = 2x grip. 

Bummer about the 45° lean angle. Who needs more front grip on a bike that can't be laid over?

1 minute ago, shinyribs said:

Yeah, the weight distribution puts the whole front ends grip thing in to uncharted territory. Maybe it does offer more grip, but I don't think it's as simple as 2x tires = 2x grip. 

Bummer about the 45° lean angle. Who needs more front grip on a bike that can't be laid over?

Yeah, the point is - and I think we agree - that it all doesn't matter if it can't pull the g's in the real world. It's like people who buy awd for the snow and then realize too late that it doesn't help you stop or turn. 

topazsparrow
1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

People who ride in the wet and on loose / gravel roads, I guess.

Archived