The MT-07 Forum

'18 MT07 ABS issue

NiteRyder

So I've been testing the ABS(first bike I've owned with ABS) since I aquired this bike two weeks ago and I've noticed a quirk with the rear brake during heavy braking. When just applying the rear brake with decent pressure the rear brake pedal "stutters/clunks'. It only last a split second. It literally feels like I'm scraping the feeler peg on the rear foot rest. Matter of fact the first time I felt it I pulled over expecting some scrape marks only to find no damage what so ever. After doing some research about ABS I know there is pulsating to be expected when it is activated but this sensation is far from pulsating at the pedal. Im debating on pulling the ABS fuse and testing it then just to verify it is ABS related. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Can't speak for the FZ as mine does not have ABS. But I have owned a bike with ABS and describing what those levers/pedals felt like was not a pulsation, but more an actual vibration. 

ABS has come a long way since that '96 K1100RS BMW, but if you hit a frost heave while on the brakes and that's enough of a bump to unweight the wheel, you will activate the ABS an the pedal might just buzz at you. Combine that with some chain slapping, and all manner of odd noises might occur until traction is regained - even if it's for a second or 2. 

Edited by rick

Is that at speed or when going slowly? Most ABS do it very noticeably at lower speeds as the reluctor is inputting info fast enough ( or that is how it appears)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I only really notice it when speeds are below 20mph. Went for a ride after pulling the ABS fuse and that stutter feeling is definitely ABS related cuz I could not duplicate it.(probably due to rear wheel locking up😁, i already miss that feeling). 

Not sure why you want to skid the back tire - but

Assuming yer not trying to skid (it won't), I'm gonna go out on a limb and blame the crappy shock for what yer experiencing, and not so much the ABS. If the suspension was more compliant, the wheel wouldn't lose traction and the ABS would not cycle. 

That K1100RS BMW for 6 years,  I rode it in all manner of ugly weather and never once felt the ABS other than when the roads were bone dry. One day I was coming to a 4-way stop, 1/2 block from my house, so wasn't going very fast. As I came to a stop (front brake only - and that was a mistake for this bike) the front tire hit a series of heaves in the asphalt  - a wash board-like surface. The front tired hopped a bit and that sent the ABS into a frenzy at maybe 15 mph. With the bike not stopping, my brain said squeeze harder - doh, big mistake. Me and the 630 lb land yacht were half way across the intersection by the time the bucking bronc came to a stop. Not fun.

That resulted in a big relearn for me after 20 years of riding. Proper technique was now to lighten up on the front brake and feed in the back if the lever started to buzz while stopping. 

My Aprilia (w/o ABS) while on the brakes floats over frost heaves that would have had that BMW's front tire chirping (and lever buzzing away). That experience down the street from home would likely not have happened on the Aprilia. 

@rick,I think you might have misread my description of events. Im not trying to skid with ABS on, more of less get use to the them during emergency situations. During my testing of the brakes(ABS on) I noticed the brake pedal felt like it 'jumped out of gear' so to speak when applying the rear brake pretty heavily. Definitely not a normal sensation I would imagine even for ABS standards. Once again this is a very uneasy feeling coming the brake pedal. Thank you for your input though.

• Premium Member

there is no way to adjust the ABS frequency...its either pull the fuse or learn where it starts to go off... some bikes/cars have very soft ABS pulses or very clunky ABS pulses... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

1 minute ago, norcal616 said:

there is no way to adjust the ABS frequency...its either pull the fuse or learn where it starts to go off... some bikes/cars have very soft ABS pulses or very clunky ABS pulses... 

Unfortunately you are correct. I would have left the ABS fuse out but the speedo does not work unless its in. 

• Like 1

No, I think I got it - was just making sure.

I think you  pushed down hard enough that you activated the ABS to cycle. Yeah, it's a weird sensation. The system just needs to see the wheel stop spinning ( or slow to much) for a fraction of a second .

Not only will the feel of the lever be different from vehicle to vehicle, the sensitivity will also be different. It's very possible that Yamaha decided to make this come on really early - as in too sensitive. I'm still gonna guess it'll be less easy to activate with a better shock  back there to help keep give the tire better traction.

If yer not a really big guy, you can try running a pound less pressure in the back tire - definitely, don't run it with more air than the manual calls for. That's a huge tire for a little bike. That tire size can easily be run at 40 psi, but the bike neither needs this nor will it handle/ride very well.

I don't use the back brake much on any bike - there's a reason why there are 2 disks in front with bigger rotors and more pistons. So as long as the front brake can really be leaned on in dry conditions w/o activating the ABS, I might have never noticed.

I recommend using "just a little" rear brake along with more front brake so that you can develop muscle memory for situations where you really need to use your rear brake and are used to controlling it without wondering if somethings wrong or hesitating to use it because you feel that way.  Just my 2 cents worth. GL and stay frosty!

• Like 1

Beemer

Just read a review of the new Niken and guess what, the guy complained the back ABS kicked in too easy. Maybe Yamaha just designed it that way for some goofy reason. 

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2019-yamaha-niken-first-ride-review.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Motorcycle.com_new-content-unsold&utm_source=Motorcycle.com20180529

On 5/29/2018 at 8:25 PM, rick said:

Just read a review of the new Niken and guess what, the guy complained the back ABS kicked in too easy. Maybe Yamaha just designed it that way for some goofy reason. 

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2019-yamaha-niken-first-ride-review.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Motorcycle.com_new-content-unsold&utm_source=Motorcycle.com20180529

I just got done watching a video review on the Niken! I love how Yamaha is thinking outside the box with that bike.(I think its still considered a bike). As far the ABS goes I'm slowly getting used to it but its not the frequency of which it happens, its the severity if that makes sense. I plan on test riding another MT07 at the dealer just to verify if its normal. I'll update as time goes.

• 2 weeks later...
captainkool4

I noticed this same thing on my 2018 mt07.  Hit the rear brake kind of hard when practicing emergency stops at about 25mpg, and there's a weird feeling and a decently audible clunk noise.

Im glad you posted this because I haven't had time to ride another 18' MT07 at the dealer to verify if its normal(to this bike). Normal or not its quite annoying considering I use both brakes a majority of time when decelerating to a stop. Im starting to get used to it though. All in all im very happy with this bike though. Just saving up a ill money for an ECU flash and bike to awaken this beast.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NiteRyder said:

Im glad you posted this because I haven't had time to ride another 18' MT07 at the dealer to verify if its normal(to this bike). Normal or not its quite annoying considering I use both brakes a majority of time when decelerating to a stop. Im starting to get used to it though. All in all im very happy with this bike though. Just saving up a ill money for an ECU flash and bike to awaken this beast.

Have you or are you going to un-snorkle the beast?

Beemer

• 8 months later...

Yep it’s normal. I’ve got ABS model. You can only get ABS model in Australia. Rear ABS kicks in very quickly. It’s unusual when you first feel it. Like something scraping on the ground. Same as you described. I’m used to it now

52 minutes ago, Adrian Amos said:

Yep it’s normal. I’ve got ABS model. You can only get ABS model in Australia. Rear ABS kicks in very quickly. It’s unusual when you first feel it. Like something scraping on the ground. Same as you described. I’m used to it now

With the 6k miles I have on the bike so far I have to admit I have become quite fond of the brakes(ABS). It has saved my rear end at least twice. The brakes did take a lil getting used but is very manageable now. I have yet to get the front ABS to activate which to say is a good thing. 

• 11 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 7:43 AM, norcal616 said:

On 5/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, NiteRyder said:

Unfortunately you are correct. I would have left the ABS fuse out but the speedo does not work unless its in. 

I fitted a switch to the Fuse live side so that I can disable/enable ABS at will.

As others have said, this also disables the Odometer and the ABS light stays on.

Unfortunately, after 20-30 kms the Engine Management light also comes on.
No idea if there is any detrimental effect (seems not short term) but ignoring two warning lights is a bit disconcerting.  😨

8 hours ago, mickba said:

I fitted a switch to the Fuse live side so that I can disable/enable ABS at will.

As others have said, this also disables the Odometer and the ABS light stays on.

Unfortunately, after 20-30 kms the Engine Management light also comes on.
No idea if there is any detrimental effect (seems not short term) but ignoring two warning lights is a bit disconcerting.  😨

Why? Abs does nothing until the wheels start to lock, then I would think you would want it. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, geophb said:

Why? Abs does nothing until the wheels start to lock, then I would think you would want it. 

You might think so.......but sometimes I don't.  😎

1 hour ago, mickba said:

You might think so.......but sometimes I don't.  😎

I hope you get flat spots in your tires. 🤣 lol jokin

3 hours ago, geophb said:

I hope you get flat spots in your tires. 🤣 lol jokin

In the conditions I'm thinking of not very likely....not on tarmac.  🙄

Edited by mickba
  • Like 1

I have the 2018 and the rear ABS is weird. Like a rapid clunk and I feel it in the brake pedal. Only noticed it at low speeds while trying to lock up the wheel.

Happened once on a wet corner so the feedback was nice to let me know to back off. Yet to activate the ABS on the front.

I have a ‘19 but a few weeks ago it was pretty cold out and I made a right turn and felt what seemed to be my peg scraping but I was nowhere near that type of angle. I was very confused for a few miles until I figured it out that it was probably the ABS

12 minutes ago, MrGym10 said:

I have a ‘19 but a few weeks ago it was pretty cold out and I made a right turn and felt what seemed to be my peg scraping but I was nowhere near that type of angle. I was very confused for a few miles until I figured it out that it was probably the ABS

ABS wont activate in this scenario, its not traction control. Unless you were braking in the turn 😕