The MT-07 Forum

Damn, Honda just dropped a ton of new dirtbikes!

Cruizin

I am seriously temped by that new CRF450L. Its basically their killer 450 race bike with a license plate and led blinkers and headlight. Ride to the trails, no truck or ramp needed. Ride to work, and then hit the trails after work. In my case, I could actually take a serious shortcut over the mountains on the way home from work. Come home smiling. 

And the 450RX is a bad ass trail bike.  Hell, they are all bad ass bikes. 

Honda now makes what, 5 different 450's?  KTM now has some serious competition in the off road market. 

I might be getting the CRF450L this fall. 

Hahahaha Thats Ken Roczen Awesome

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Yeah, that CRF450L! I remember the fun I had with my old, used, XL500 (with Wiseco big bore kit and SUPERTRAPP pipe. Sounded raspy and bad-ass!) Even my XT350 was a a blast to ride. I can imagine the fun this newer Honda would be.

Beemer

Just now, topazsparrow said:

The Japanese haven't made a capable dual sport in years.

The Suzuki DRZ650 is a formidable beast compared to the Big Red Pig.  I about pulled the trigger on the DRZ but then came the FZ.  I would lke to plate a WR450 but as tempermental as the motor is I want something durable. The DRZ you can at minimum DiY the suspension for under $300 to make it a kick ass.  BUt it is a Suzuki and I loath Suzuki as much if nt more than Kawi and Honda

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

topazsparrow
2 hours ago, r1limited said:

The Suzuki DRZ650 is a formidable beast compared to the Big Red Pig.  I about pulled the trigger on the DRZ but then came the FZ.  I would lke to plate a WR450 but as tempermental as the motor is I want something durable. The DRZ you can at minimum DiY the suspension for under $300 to make it a kick ass.  BUt it is a Suzuki and I loath Suzuki as much if nt more than Kawi and Honda

Both the DRZ650 and the Honda are heavy pigs not suitable for trail riding unless you're a masochist.

DRZ400 is alright, but they need a lot of aftermarket work to get it anywhere near the performance level the euro bikes are offering when offroad. it's also flipping ancient. It's still running on carburetor lol. It's also extremely heavy for it's size as well.

Sounds like this new honda might actually compete with competent euro bikes.

Both the DRZ and Red Pig can go on a diet, and shed 20 -30 lbs easily.  Euro bikes are nice, KTMs awesome but the cost ratio in comparision to maintain IMO pays for itself.  I would not own a DRZ450 simply because its a POS period,   I have owned heavy weight Duals love em, I have built as well 250 Duals that spanked the shet out of the bigger engined counterparts.  BUt they wore out early and maintenance on them were expensive as a KTM ;)

Seriously thinking about the 450L myself. Added flywheel and tamer cam timing for more grunt. Hell yeah. And they're rocking a 6spd now. That's just good stuff all around. 

What is a DRZ650? Must have missed it. The DR650 is the motorcycling's answer to the Toyota pickup; will get the job done reliably and never fail, but slow and rather not all that competent.

My cousin has two KTMs; a Super Enduro 950 and a 500EXC. Excellent build quality and no more costly to own than Hondas et al. The 500 is road legal and well under 250 lb dry. Here, the road legal KTM500EXC cost NOK 88.000 while the WR450F (road version) cost NOK 126.000. No wonder they sell a lot of KTMs here.  

6 minutes ago, faffi said:

What is a DRZ650? Must have missed it. The DR650 is the motorcycling's answer to the Toyota pickup; will get the job done reliably and never fail, but slow and rather not all that competent.

My cousin has two KTMs; a Super Enduro 950 and a 500EXC. Excellent build quality and no more costly to own than Hondas et al. The 500 is road legal and well under 250 lb dry. Here, the road legal KTM500EXC cost NOK 88.000 while the WR450F (road version) cost NOK 126.000. No wonder they sell a lot of KTMs here.  

DR650S Me so sorry

Not really :)

Parts in the US of A are a tad more (a) hard to come by (b) expensive.  Suzuki Sucks, KTM is the snob bike, most folks I know who own one are pozer wanna Bs like Vette owners.  Got vet socks, vett shoes, vett hat ya Nascar people

Depends on you definition of "decent dirt bike".

For me a decent dirt bike would be light(ish), have a motor with good power, but not race performance reliability killing levels. Excellent torque. And handle well or be able to be made to handle very well for reasonable amount. A decent sized fuel tank or aftermarket one available . And reasonable fuel economy ( long way back to push a bike with no fuel that you can't get a car to). And quality parts available.

The jap bikes do that fine.

Being a smallish bike preferrer , it would have to be a fun bike in the 175-450 range. Plenty available. And Honda reliability helps you get home unlike some European brands.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

What we need is a good ol big bore smoker Duel sport like a Yamaha IT490

Yamaha%20IT%20490%20%201.JPG

@faffi I thnk you derailed the boss's thread man.

8 hours ago, r1limited said:

What we need is a good ol big bore smoker Duel sport like a Yamaha IT490

Yamaha%20IT%20490%20%201.JPG

Those old bikes were awesome. But never...NEVER...ride a vintage bike after riding a modern 450. It will destroy every fond memory of the beloved vintage bikes. But the new bikes all look like poo. Those old bikes are gorgeous. 

7 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Those old bikes were awesome. But never...NEVER...ride a vintage bike after riding a modern 450. It will destroy every fond memory of the beloved vintage bikes. But the new bikes all look like poo. Those old bikes are gorgeous. 

Not for me, its a love affair.  I know exactly going in the difference between that ol IT and a YZF.  Its perspective, I would love to get my hands on an old 490, there is a plated one around here forsale but the guy is asking a mint.

It is amazing how many people on this forum had the same bikes. I didn't have the 490 but I had a it250H. It was THE best dirt bike I ever owned. You could trils ride it up a hill and put it sideways at 120kph on a wide open curve. Having said that , I was in a enduro  and was sitting sideways in a big open field and a friend came sliding underneath me on his 490 like I was having a little walk...

16 hours ago, gregjet said:

It is amazing how many people on this forum had the same bikes. I didn't have the 490 but I had a it250H. It was THE best dirt bike I ever owned. You could trils ride it up a hill and put it sideways at 120kph on a wide open curve. Having said that , I was in a enduro  and was sitting sideways in a big open field and a friend came sliding underneath me on his 490 like I was having a little walk...

It's also amazing how some peoples experiences are nearly the same. I remember riding a friends Honda XL100 and doing some power slides on a small oval track at Ike's Race Track in Richmond, In. I was having a blast and thought it was a pretty good bike while sliding around when this guy on an RM 125 came sliding around the outside of me, about to pass me with ease but got too close and we ended up locking handlebars and then we both went down. That's when I knew the XL100 wasn't the best bike but still, no doubt, a fun bike.

Beemer

The IT's were so nice to ride. Always lusted after the IT175 but never managed to get one. They were so light and responsive. The 250 was better at low speed work though.

Archived