The MT-07 Forum

Compact F.A.K. ?

Mr.Puss

• Premium Member

Ive been considering putting together a very compact, specialized, minimalist MC First Aid Kit to keep in my tailbag.

IMO most "All in One" FAKs are at best made for family camping trips when little @Beemer scrapes his knee or gets a mosquito bite. ;) They're overly bulky and full of extraneous fluff that arent going to help with the more serious injuries that might be found while on the road.  

Ive made a list of some basic items I consider to be imperative for a MC riders FAK such as: blunt edge medical scissors/surgical clamps, clotting agents/pads, bottle of alcohol/sterile water, mini flashlight, tweezers, tourniquet, large & small bandages/battle dressing, nitrile gloves, roll of vet wrap, burn gel/pads, perhaps even some tabs of hydromorphone (for wife or myself only).  Perhaps its a bit overkill, but I'd feel much better having this stuff immediately available than not, could save a life. "Whoops, left the FAK at home, sorry."  

Does anyone keep a specialized/compact FAK handy? If so, whats in yours?   (**EDIT**... Medical supplies only) =D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Basics

1 Rugar .40

Man Pad aka Trail buddies

Water 64 oz

protien bars, and sorted snacks

LED flashlight (4 inch)

Tools

Standard tool bag

Added needle nose

Added flat nose

Genuine Innovations Tire kit 

Spare Master Links Clip style (Dont know whay I guess maybe someone will have a Motion Pro Chain Breaker)

Charged Cell phone

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Basics

1 Rugar .40

Man Pad aka Trail buddies

Water 64 oz

protien bars, and sorted snacks

LED flashlight (4 inch)

Tools

Standard tool bag

Added needle nose

Added flat nose

Genuine Innovations Tire kit 

Spare Master Links Clip style (Dont know whay I guess maybe someone will have a Motion Pro Chain Breaker)

Charged Cell phone

HAHA a handgun! Good stuff, but what about first aid basics for the mangled human? (preferably for the one you didnt shoot😉)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

Good stuff but what about first aid basics for the mangled human?

Man pad obsorbs a lot, I mean a lot so bleeding it will hold its own.

I can use the rugar to end the misiery

The tire kit can plug a hole pretty good

Needle nose to pull out shrapnal, glass etc

Master link could be stitches

flat nose to clip the master links

Water so I can wash myself off the other person is screwed

Protien bars and food when I get hungry, I dont want to go into shock?

All kidding aside, I do not Caryy my C.E.R.T. back pack, I can use shirts clothing for make shift splints and bandages.

If you are looking for basics, this may be a better questions for EMTs, as CERT I do have some stuff I have in a bug out bag, however that said I would say if you have the room in your back pack or a tour bag

Bandages, wraps, pads and tape

Aneseptic spray can comes in 4 oz cans

surgical gloves (Protect yourself)

superglue Medical if you can get it but super glue is the best way to shear up a open wound.

For warn though I know it is hard not to help, but you must remeber at all times, the law is against you, you are not certified nor under any protection at any times assisting anyone on the road.  The best you can do is this

Call 911

DO NOT MOVE THEM (Certainly help stablize meaning makeing sure they are not moving around)

Apply pressure to any open wound

Make sure you and the person are safe and out of harms way.

Learn the basics for head trauma tests such as time date, where are you, your name questions

DO NOT MOVE THEM (Certainly help stablize meaning makeing sure they are not moving around) I think I said that already

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Excellent topic!

To add to what you have listed, just off the top of my head:

Acetaminophen  (Tylenol)  not (or in addition to)  ibuprofen (Advil and such) or aspirin.  Ibuprofen and aspirin can thin your blood, and this can be bad in cases of lacerations, broken bones, or anytime there is bleeding.  Ibuprofen can also upset the stomach. 

Feminine pads.  ( @r1limited's man pads?)  These are designed to soak up lots of blood, are non-stick on the wound side and sticky on the back, plus they're cheaper than 1st aid specific pads.

A roll of linen (strips of an old bed sheet work great) - maybe 8 feet about 3 inches wide - for just about anything you need 1st aid wise.

A few feet of duct tape.  Take 10 feet or so off of the roll and roll it smaller, then flatten it out so it takes less room.  You can fix just about anything with it, and it sticks better than 1st aid tape when you have a messy wound.

A basic 1st aid course is also invaluable, takes up zero room and weighs nothing.

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Depending on the severity of the accident, many people go into shock so one of these is good to have on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Emergency-Blanket-Survival-Dukal/dp/B000FNQ7A4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527077218&sr=8-6&keywords=first+aid+blanket

Thanks! Never thought about that. I have a bunch of those, if I can figure out where I stashed them.... I'll add one to my hardcases and bring you one to stick under your seat if you don't have one already.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

Depending on the severity of the accident, many people go into shock so one of these is good to have on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Emergency-Blanket-Survival-Dukal/dp/B000FNQ7A4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527077218&sr=8-6&keywords=first+aid+blanket

Yes right! Thanks.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, guylee said:

tourniquette, Needle D, and a space blanket. Anything else should be left to the professionals.

Needle D?!... I had to look that one up.....jesus man. =D

3 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

Needle D?!... I had to look that one up.....jesus man. =D

Yeah maybe just the TQ...

9 hours ago, guylee said:

tourniquette, Needle D, and a space blanket. Anything else should be left to the professionals.

Just make sure you're properly trained in tourniquets and needle decompression.   Especially decompression.  That's paramedic level.  Don't  just buy a long needle and go jabbing people willy-nilly in the chest.  Bad things can happen if you stick them wrong - there's important junk in there that doesn't need a needle stuck through it.  You have to know symptoms, where to insert, direction to insert - all kinds of stuff.  Don't just watch a YouTube video, get proper training from a certified instructor.

If you need training on a space blanket, well,  you probably shouldn't be let outside.  😀

8 hours ago, rider said:

Just make sure you're properly trained in tourniquets and needle decompression.   Especially decompression.  That's paramedic level.  Don't  just buy a long needle and go jabbing people willy-nilly in the chest.  Bad things can happen if you stick them wrong - there's important junk in there that doesn't need a needle stuck through it.  You have to know symptoms, where to insert, direction to insert - all kinds of stuff.  Don't just watch a YouTube video, get proper training from a certified instructor.

If you need training on a space blanket, well,  you probably shouldn't be let outside.  😀

You're absolutely right! You don't want to put a tourniquet around someones neck just because their head is bleeding. Unless you just really hate them of course. 😉

Beemer

On 5/23/2018 at 9:13 AM, DewMan said:

Thanks! Never thought about that. I have a bunch of those, if I can figure out where I stashed them.... I'll add one to my hardcases and bring you one to stick under your seat if you don't have one already.

Sure, thanks! I don't have one and you just never know. Hell, if I lost a race to a Harley I might go into shock. 😲

Beemer

3 hours ago, Beemer said:

You're absolutely right! You don't want to put a tourniquet around someones neck just because their head is bleeding. Unless you just really hate them of course. 😉

Wait, you mean this even was a question?

Jeebus man, use a freakin belt, ya step pn the neck and use that for leverage and pull on the end of the belt.  Everyone knows this man...

Its like CPR, ya kick em in the checst and Yell

Get up stupid ya wanna die

Archived