The MT-07 Forum

I definitely didn't see that coming

faffi

I have this 1982 Virago XV750 with an 18in rear wheel, some scramblerish looks and an 1100 engine. Yesterday, I removed the air filter intake snorkel to give it more air, and noticed a performance gain, particularly above 70 mph. And my MT07 has been taken over by our youngest son. The MT has EJK, a full short Arrows exhaust, the usual intake mods and runs very well. Feels like a bomb. The XV feels more like a big truck; lots of grunt, but not terribly fast.

Hence my surprise was huge when we made an impromptu rolling start drag race against a pretty frisky wind - and the MT barely inched away! I had been expecting to see a black dot on the horizon rapidly growing smaller, but that was not the case. I would estimate about half a second difference after a 1/4-mile. This correspond fine with the fastest Virago 1100 I've seen tested - 12.9s - and the typical 12.4s E.T. set by MT07s. Still, I was pleasantly surprised about the performance of my old rat, but equally surprised how much quicker the MT feels compared to how it actually performs.

With the wind in the tail, we did a top gear acceleration test from 40 mph, and by 100 mph the MT had just eked out a bike lengths advantage. Again, this was far closer than anticipated, although I was prepared for this after the last roll-on test we made before I removed the air intake snorkel. Will be interesting to see how the old XV does when I finally get around to fitting the new cams with a bit over one mm extra lift :) 

Archived