The MT-07 Forum

Dunlop Q2 Oddity.. Never Seen this Before

r1limited

I have never seen a tire do this.  This is the R1, started to give the yeller beast some love today and got a good picture of this bluing.  I have never seen any of my Qs do this before fort hat matter any tire.  , Anyone ever experience this, for the record it follows the entire tire both sides.  My first thought is over heated with to much pressure but I run 31/32 in the summer for street.  33/33 when it is in the 60's to 80's below 60 they get real slippery as the Qs do not warm to well in the cold.  I suspect cold days hot tire temps.

20180520_153305.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

It looks like a snail caught up to you and crawled around on your tire as you were riding.  Maybe go faster?  😇

• Premium Member

I have had "bluing" tires before but its was more of a consistent hue/shade- bluing is normal but unwanted as heat pulls the oil compounds from the tire rubber... 

yours is the first I seen blue like that, weird... is it just in that spot thats weird? if so must have been something on the road...or some cleaning product got "over sprayed" onto the tires...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

It looks like writing from a Mayan calendar. Does this mean the end of your tire is near?

More like some dog hiked a leg on your tire, nothing to worry about.

Beemer

12 hours ago, r1limited said:

for the record it follows the entire tire both sides

^^

7 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I have had "bluing" tires before but its was more of a consistent hue/shade- bluing is normal but unwanted as heat pulls the oil compounds from the tire rubber... 

yours is the first I seen blue like that, weird... is it just in that spot thats weird? if so must have been something on the road...or some cleaning product got "over sprayed" onto the tires...

Either way, tires will be replaced, Q2's are finicky

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I did a little research and both @norcal616 and @Beemer may be on to it.  The oills and other compounds are pulled out of the tire by heat and can react to chemicals on the tire.  So, something sprayed on the tire may have caused this?  Maybe not.  Just guessing, I ain't got no science book learnin'.

• Premium Member

How old is this tire?  Race rubber will deteriate over time.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 minute ago, blackout said:

How old is this tire?  Race rubber will deteriate over time.

Old enough to replace.  I normally go through two sets a year, now in the PNW this set has seen two winters, I did not get out last year much on them, I barely scrubbed the tire in, further inspection shows cracking.   on the side wall

33 minutes ago, rider said:

I did a little research and both @norcal616 and @Beemer may be on to it.  The oills and other compounds are pulled out of the tire by heat and can react to chemicals on the tire.  So, something sprayed on the tire may have caused this?  Maybe not.  Just guessing, I ain't got no science book learnin'.

Nothing sprayed on it but Armour all to make em look fresh :) no I never spray shet on them.  Could be that AMSOIL HD I use for chain though flung off, but I wipe it down and let dry.  My full suspicion is how cold it gets here in the winter.   The bike sits in a semi heated garage which ranges about low 40s when it is 30 abd below.  If I replace the booties this summer I will be storing wheels in house for the winter.  I may squeeze another season out of them, I will inspect more once i get the bike apart this week for its foreplay and massage

Trust you to get wierd tyre aging r1. Bit of a mystery that one. Something against the tyre after a track run the insulated ot conducted the heat faster tha the rest of the tyre...maybe...?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Any kids with Sharpies at your place R1? ;D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

You got a cat that likes marking it's territory? (Any good cat would defend his masters bike 😾 )

Beemer

Archived