The MT-07 Forum

Need Help With clutch cable!

bakamoto

• Premium Member

OK so i was installing a new clutch lever and as i was taking off my old one, the little plastic piece that was wrapped around the metal nub at the end of the cable broke off.  the RSC lever works without it but to make it fit properly I need another plastic spacer piece.  Any Ideas?

Easiest thing I can think of would be to use a couple of pieces of heat shrink tubing - one above the cable, one below. If after it's shrunk down that's not enough thickness, add another layer  - repeat until the play is taken up. . 

Don't know how well this would hold up over time, but if it lasted a year, it would be cheap and easy enough to redo. 

Patch it up somehow like Rick mentioned, but you should be able to find another bushing at a local shop. Just call around and find a shop that builds cables. They'll have an assortment of bits and pieces. 

I'm not sure the shrink tubing is a great idea as it needs be able to slide around in the hole and this would probably make it stick

I agree with the above post, and that is the reason for the material it is made of.

I'd buy a new clutch cable and be done with it.

The bushing on those nuts is plastic - just like the shrink tubing. Dunno about you guys, but I grease those types of things. My worry is that would tear sooner than later 

That said, i'd probably try that repair and live with it until the new cable showed up.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, YZEtc said:

I agree with the above post, and that is the reason for the material it is made of.

I'd buy a new clutch cable and be done with it.

That’s what I’m probably gonna do.  Found a bunch of em for around 20 bucks

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, rick said:

The bushing on those nuts is plastic - just like the shrink tubing. Dunno about you guys, but I grease those types of things. My worry is that would tear sooner than later 

That said, i'd probably try that repair and live with it until the new cable showed up.

I agree, I’ll just throw some grease on there until the cable comes in

Not only plastic (or nylon), but if you look closely, you see it is made with a slot around the clutch cable wire in order for the metal barrel-shaped end of the clutch cable to rotate as the clutch lever is pulled.

This piece doesn't just merely take-up space in the clutch lever, but is there to allow the metal end of the clutch cable to rotate with reduced friction.

If the barrel-shaped end can't rotate easily, it will constantly bend the cable wire, cause fatigue with the wire, and eventually break it where the cable attaches to the barrel-shaped end.

I was thinking the bushing would be able to turn inside the hole in the lever. Probably get cut where the cable those thru the slot. The shrink tubing could still work in a pinch - just wouldn't be able to shrink it down tight. 

Sounds like a new cable's in order. 

Take the cable with you to a hardware store and check out the plastic friction "tubes" ( they are actaull limpy and sort of conical shaped), used for plasterboard bolts and nails. You might find one with the right inside and outside diameter. You will probably have to buy the bolt AND gripper though. There are some without the lumpy bits for concrete but they tend to be thicker walled.

Cut the length you want and cut a slit to cable sits the cable.

Also craft stores sell plastic tube ( usually coloured) which my work as well.

I used to have to do this in the old days of mountain bike cable brakes.as there were 3 sizes of end pieces.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived