The MT-07 Forum

Fuel Type??? 87. 89, 91???

bmichalec

What kind of Fuel do you use? I have been running 91 but I have been reading that alot of people run 87 or 89??

• Global Moderator

I run 90 octane ethanol-free. There is a rather in depth discussion about octane here. link

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I once had a mechanic tell me that you can get better gas mileage out of Chevron 87 than any other companies 91. I tested his theory with 2 tanks of 76 station gas 91 and 2 tanks of Chevron 87 and he was right. I run Chevron 91 in everything I drive.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

The sticker on the front left of the bike (near the suspension) says to use 91.
The "91" rating is in RON which is an 86 octane equivalent.   Read page 4-14 of your owners manual.  It's much easier to read than the frame sticker. 

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

87 here was using 91 in the beginning then 89 and now 87 didn't notice any difference.I'll stick to 87 it's cheaper 

The sticker on the front left of the bike (near the suspension) says to use 91.
The "91" rating is in RON which is an 86 octane equivalent.   Read page 4-14 of your owners manual.  It's much easier to read than the frame sticker.
Good to know, thanks!

I do 89. I know I can get away with 87, but I figured 89 is right in the middle of the best and the lowest. I'm ok with it because I'm not paying for the highest octane but I'm giving her a better drink than just the lowest octane.

If you use anything higher than 87 you are doing nothing beneficial and in fact may be doing something detrimental to your motor in the long run. Granted, using 89 is not so much higher than 87, but still - why waste money? At the very least, you would need to be using a PCV or EJK to even begin to see some benefits from higher octane, but even then your motor is not built for it and thus the benefits will be minimal.

If anyone is concerned about using a better quality fuel, look for a quality brand and use their 87. Using non-ethanol fuel will help as well (though others might debate that, just my opinion). That will be much more beneficial than using a higher octane of lesser quality.

Read the thread linked above for more info on octane and ethanol.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Archived