The MT-07 Forum

Future owner

rodzghost

Hi all,

Not currently in the market for the MT07, but looking to get one in a year or so.  I just wanted to sign up here to get some info before I actually get one.  

Thanks!

Rod

Welcome. Do you have any specific questions or concerns? Lots of knowledgeable guys on here (not me) could help you out, I'm sure. 

I have a ton, actually.  I'll start with a few here and then dig through the forums as I'm sure a lot of them have been asked before.

First off, I'm looking at the MT-07 ABS model.  I'll be using it almost solely for commuting, with occasional trips to pick up food or groceries.

1.  Is the 2018 model the first year with the upgraded suspension?  Actually, more important, is rebound adjustable?  If not, I think I'll prolly just the earliest model with ABS and swap out the rear shock for one that's adjustable.

2.  How are the stock tires?  I'm mainly looking for something that can handle tar snakes and wind well.  My current bike had Michelin Pilot Street Bias-ply tires that would follow every crack in the road, and after switching those out, my bike inspired tons more confidence.

3.  How bad is wind on the bike?  I might opt for a windscreen, but trying to look for things that I can save money.

That's it for now.  

3 hours ago, rodzghost said:

I have a ton, actually.  I'll start with a few here and then dig through the forums as I'm sure a lot of them have been asked before.

First off, I'm looking at the MT-07 ABS model.  I'll be using it almost solely for commuting, with occasional trips to pick up food or groceries.

1.  Is the 2018 model the first year with the upgraded suspension?  Actually, more important, is rebound adjustable?  If not, I think I'll prolly just the earliest model with ABS and swap out the rear shock for one that's adjustable.

Yes

2.  How are the stock tires?  I'm mainly looking for something that can handle tar snakes and wind well.  My current bike had Michelin Pilot Street Bias-ply tires that would follow every crack in the road, and after switching those out, my bike inspired tons more confidence.

My girl's bike came with PR4, especially good under rain but let me put it this way, I've done track on PR4.

3.  How bad is wind on the bike?  I might opt for a windscreen, but trying to look for things that I can save money.

The wind was less noticeable then I would have expected, given the bike has no windscreen. From my understanding Puig's could provide up to 25% of additionnal wind deflection. But I can't tell since I ordered a 2014-2017 screen that did not fit on the 2018 (because headlight was redesigned).

That's it for now.  

That was easy . ;)

Oh and it's a fun bike, try to go to a demo day and see for yourself.

To be honest, if you get the Tracer07 where you are ( you might by then if you don't), get it instead. Would suit you better and is a bit better handling and protection.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 5/19/2018 at 1:55 PM, gregjet said:

To be honest, if you get the Tracer07 where you are ( you might by then if you don't), get it instead. Would suit you better and is a bit better handling and protection.

Would that be the FJ07?  Is it pretty much the same thing as the MT07, just with a windscreen and luggage racks?

EDIT:  As far as I know, it's not available here yet, but it does look good too.

Don't know if that is the same bike, but the Tracer is NOT the same as the 07 in a few important areas.

For me the most important thing is the swingarm is longer. It should be on the 07 but isn't. It makes the bike handle better and smoother. The 07 fuel tank is tiny 14l , the tracer has 17litre tank. Reports is the seat is much better as well. And the fairing is actually useful ( the 07 gives you a solid air blast stock). If I wasn't too poor I would get a Tracer 7 and swap my 07..

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

the FJ-07( when available) will be a better "comnute", "2up" bike over the FZ-07... stock suspension is still not any better than previous years( fancy wording makes it seem like they spent $ on better suspension 😅)... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived