The MT-07 Forum

Two Brothers Exhaust - Header Fitment Issue

relinquish

relinquish

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can confirm (or deny) what I think is a manufacturing issue with the Two Brothers exhaust I just received.

I had a whole day planned out: take everything apart, install ftecu tuning kit, flash ECU with appropriate tune, remove OEM exhaust, put on Two Bros exhaust and reassemble everything.

Everything went great until I reached the "put Two Bros exhaust on" part. I went to put on the headers, but couldn't get them to go in no matter how much I fiddled with it. After 20 minutes of trying to get it lined up I gave up and went to compare it to the OEM headers.

I lined up one pipe to the OEM pipe, and saw that the 2nd pipe was quite a bit off. Here is a closeup of how off it is. Here is another shot better showing both pipes at the same time.  The Two Bros is the ones that is more spread out, and OEM being the tighter one.

99% of headers I have installed were on 1 cyl engines, so this wasn't really even a consideration, but in the one I4 (car) that I put headers in, they all lined up without any force.

Would you all agree that the Two Bros header should line up more closely to OEM? I feel I could probably force it in if I ratchet strapped them tighter, but I dont want it putting lateral forces onto the head. 

Is there a tool or recommended way to get these pipes more close together?  Ratchet strap them tight or some sort of clamp perhaps?

I've got a ticket open with Revzilla too, so I'll see what they say. Wasn't too thrilled that they just left the package sitting in the rain all day either (never rang the door or took signature...)

tldr; Two bros header pipes do not line up with the OEM pipes. I assume this isn't normal?

Thoughts?

Send it back,

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

That's not as far off as mine was.  The ratchet strap tweak got things lined up, then some extra compression took away the tendency to spring back.  I'll confess I worried something was going to give on the header but it turned out fine.

AlbatrossCafe

I have an Akra, but it wasn't perfect either. I did like @timjh and just squeezed together a bit until it fit (didn't use ratchet though, had someone else holding the pipes). Still fine 25k miles later.

Use the force brother😎 My Yoshimura was off by a bit more then yours is and the shop told me it was typical. I was in the same boat. Every header I've ever installed on a car just slid right on. My Yosh was off in the other direction and had to be pulled apart. I put one side in just enough so I can give it a good pull while pushing in and once I got it in it was a snug fit. Careful you don't knock the bike over while pushing it and pulling on the header. Sounds like you might try ratchet strapping so you should be good. 

Good luck

That little bit of variation is nothing. That's actually impressive.

No way you should need a ratchet strap or any force to install these. Hang the head pipes on the engine, but leave the flange bolts loose. Then hang the midpipe,but don't attach any springs yet. Then hang the muffler, but don't tighten any bolts yet. 

Once the whole system is in place, NOW pop on the springs and give it a little wiggle. All the pieces will settle in to place where they are comfy and relaxed. Now tighten the bolts all around and CLEAN OFF THE PIPES BEFORE YOU START IT!

Any fingerprint residue or grease can burn on to the pipes and leave permanent stains. 

send it back, make em pay for it, get a stock one instead, its friday man

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Being a Tig welder I will tell you why this happens and why there is no way to keep this from happening. A welding fixture will only get a part very close to what the end result should be. As metal heats up and cools down it expands and contracts. When you put the heat of welding temps to metal (which is thousands of degrees) this effect is magnified significantly and causes the parts to move quite a bit. So even if headers or whatever you are welding is setup and welded in a fixture, when you pull the part out of the fixture and it cools down to room temp, dimensions will still change but will be within acceptable manufacturing tolerances. You can get the tolerances even closer if the part is left to cool completely while in the fixture but from a manufacturing standpoint this is ludicrous and too time consuming. Now going back to what I said about metal moving when heated or cooled. You will have to make the headers fit into the head and once you get everything assembled, torqued to proper specs, ride it and get it hot, the metal will relax to where it should be then you should never have a problem if you ever have to remove it and re install it.

Just put mine on yesterday. Exact same issue. Had to be about 1/4in or more off. I was actually worried enough that I gave a quick call to Two Bros as I ordered the 2017 FZ kit knowing the motor had stayed the same through to my 2018 MT. Guy on the phone just said "just bend em till it fits".  So....just threw the riding gloves on and gave them a good full body weight squeeze a few times until they fit. A bit of a PIA but got it done!

• 2 months later...

Archived