The MT-07 Forum

Idle speed control

motivator510

motivator510

Hi everyone, My fz is giving me the 5d_37 code and I was hoping I can take replace the part. My the shop that I took it too said they tried cleaning the part  and the code came on. Does anyone know what it looks like? Please send pics. Thanks.

• Global Moderator

Not photos, but perhaps this will help.  Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

8F317E4A-2A2D-40F0-A091-66CE5DFE8A99.png

7DAC4526-04A4-44AB-9BF0-0FE585DBFA13.png

motivator510

Thank you! But the picture might be right but the frame is on the way. It doesnt look the same on the bike itself.

375d__37Idle Speed Control (ISC): If ISC is not heard, then ISC is defective. If ISC is heard, then component other then ISC unit is defective

This would mean when you turn the engine on you will hear Item 2 the idle speed valve open and close.  It is that valve that is tossing the error.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

LoveDuckie
On 5/18/2018 at 5:51 PM, r1limited said:

375d__37Idle Speed Control (ISC): If ISC is not heard, then ISC is defective. If ISC is heard, then component other then ISC unit is defective

This would mean when you turn the engine on you will hear Item 2 the idle speed valve open and close.  It is that valve that is tossing the error.

Can you explain to me what sound I should expect to hear? Anything distinctive? I'm wondering if it's just a loose connection anywhere...

30 minutes ago, LoveDuckie said:

Can you explain to me what sound I should expect to hear? Anything distinctive? I'm wondering if it's just a loose connection anywhere...

When you turn on the key, the system goes through a brief diagnostic the loads / primes the fuel lines.  In that time you will hear the servos activate, this activation actualy opens and closes the throttle bodies butterflies.  Its unmistakable.  I may be wrong in my definitiojn

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

LoveDuckie
1 hour ago, r1limited said:

When you turn on the key, the system goes through a brief diagnostic the loads / primes the fuel lines.  In that time you will hear the servos activate, this activation actualy opens and closes the throttle bodies butterflies.  Its unmistakable.  I may be wrong in my definitiojn

I definitely hear the servos turn on as the electrical systems start, almost like a robotic sound, but is this all I am looking for or is there another sound?

The whirling is the throttle bodies butterflies opening and closing (Caused by the throttle sensor servo), I am assuming this would not occur if the Idle speed sensor was defective as well.  However I am not 100% sure.  that said, I do not have a manual to advise on how to test that unit, maybe someone who does can add that in.  Codes like this can also be coming from a differing source "possible" o2 sensor, just a guess. 

What year of bike

How many Miles

Any Mods done

• Premium Member

11.thumb.jpg.a5f4b231e9a702ee853746fd67034a70.jpg12.thumb.jpg.76488490d9f6f2f5fb73b2363ce9e417.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.96d0cf22282b3b7ad85133be91c15c57.jpg14.thumb.jpg.04abeda9f3fad3e6d8de020b6ad5b8c8.jpg

657452790_DIAG1.thumb.png.ed9381d4cf6525d41186d3f9975e2bf4.png

So a shop tried to clean the intake and, I'm guessing, damaged the ISC. You could buy it individually for $100, and hope that fixes it, and hope the shop that broke it can reassemble it without breaking it again, or you can buy a whole new assembly. New says $300, I'm betting a used throttle body assembly is cheaper on fleabay from a parted out bike.

As you can see, there are very specific instructions for what to clean and what not to clean. I'm guessing they used a solvent they shouldn't have, or tried to clean the intake in situ without removing the whole intake and disassembling it so that they did not get cleaning agent on surfaces that should not be cleaned. I would never disassemble the intake myself for fear of breaking it, and I'm unsure why you'd ever clean it unless you ran into some problem with the engine you believed was due to the intake.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

The FZ09 is RDW it'll have a stepper motor controlling the throttle plates, but we don't have ride by wire on this bike. There is a stepper motor that controls the ISC (aka as an IAC, idle air control valve) , but the throttles are controlled by cables - controlled by yer right hand - no servos, no steppers. There'd be no return spring on the throttle shaft if there was a servo. 

That IAC valve does live right between the air intakes at the back of the throttle body unit. You might hear it cycle when the key is turned on - it'll also go back to a park position when you power the ignition down. As it's under the tank, you might have a better chance of feeling it set itself.

Those valves are pretty reliable and there's not much maintenance that can be done - as in it's best to leave it alone. Note how many do not(s) there are in the manual.

Unlike with carburetors, the throttle plates are completely closed in the TBs at idle in a FI motor with a stepper motored IAC. This valve lets the proper amount of air into the motor at idle and even controls the fast idle when the motor is cold. It's also why you should never mess with the throttle stop screw unless you are prepared to remove the TBs and reset that zero clearance setting by eye.

You shouldn't need an entire throttle body.. It's just one screw, a small bracket and a connector to replace the thing. The IAC on my Aprilia is now 16 years old and I've never touched it. They shouldn't have touched yours in the 1st place so they should pay for it.

• Premium Member
On 5/21/2018 at 1:48 PM, rick said:

Unlike with carburetors, the throttle plates are completely closed in the TBs at idle in a FI motor with a stepper motored IAC. This valve lets the proper amount of air into the motor at idle and even controls the fast idle when the motor is cold. It's also why you should never mess with the throttle stop screw unless you are prepared to remove the TBs and reset that zero clearance setting by eye.

Now I know what the ISC actually does - thanks!

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

The IAC stepper in my Aprilia is at the bottom of the air box - surrounded by the fuel tank. Between the fuel pump and that stepper, there's all manner of humming going on when you 1st turn on that ignition. 

4 minutes ago, noodles said:

Now I know what the ISC actually does - thanks!

Oh, one more tidbit -  the idle air screws that are used to adjust TB sync - well those are there just to balance out any minor machining differences in the air passages between the left and right TB make sure the air supplied by the IAC is the same to both cylinders. Above idle, as the throttle plates open up in their bores, none of that does much anymore

Archived