The MT-07 Forum

New Member / Looking for Parts Recommendations

Red_ak_ranger

Red_ak_ranger

Aloha everyone,  I am purchasing a 2017 FZ-07 - need to pick it up from a dealership right above San Antonio and drive it back to Austin but unfortunately this is my GF's busy month at work and I can't get a ride lol.  So anyways, it has left me with the opportunity to buy all the mods I need and get them to my door waiting for my new bike :)

What I have purchased so far (or am going to purchase very soon):

Yoshimura full exhaust

TST industries rear tail light

DMP Fender Eliminator kit (not purchased yet)

cheapo radiator grille

cheapo metal wind screen

Proton 500 turn signals (not purchased yet)

(1) ebay turn signal relay recommended on this site (is 1 enough for everything?)

Tank pads - (not purchased yet)

Would anyone be willing to recommend other important mods OR brands?  I am not sure what to do about rear turn signals (and the proton brand is way too expensive for rear) and not sure about how many relays I need.  I need to figure out headlight bulbs as well.  

Thank you guys. I will post pics of my bike when I have it back in my garage :)  

I imagine the most recommended mods will be flashing the ECU and upgrading your suspension (neither of which have I done, but am planning to).

2 Wheel Dynoworks and Forks By Matt are both vendors on the forum and can walk you through what you need to do.  I hear nothing but great things about their products and their service and support.

Red_ak_ranger
1 hour ago, rider said:

I imagine the most recommended mods will be flashing the ECU and upgrading your suspension (neither of which have I done, but am planning to).

2 Wheel Dynoworks and Forks By Matt are both vendors on the forum and can walk you through what you need to do.  I hear nothing but great things about their products and their service and support.

I'm a newbie mostly (some dirt bike experience) so I won't mess with the bike handling for a while.  Just from personal experience (modified stand up jet skis) I know I should enjoy the stock bike until I feel the suspension is limiting me in my fun.  

I have heard the ECU isn't REQUIRED - just recommended?  Am I correct on this?  

Both good things to do but I am trying to knock out all the aesthetics first :)

Yeah, riding it first and seeing what you really need is probably a good idea.

No, the ECU flash isn't necessary, but with the Yoshi you'll be running leaner than stock which is already lean to start with.  I've had a full Yoshi exhaust for a year or two and haven't had it done (yet).  But they say it's a night and day difference.

As far as the relay, I replaced the flasher relay with one from TST Industries and added a Blinker Genie from Custom LED to keep the running lights up front and that took care of everything.  If you're replacing the actual flasher relay, it should just take one.

Check out Cyclops Adventure Sports in the vendor section.  Their led headlight is a huge improvement over stock.  Quite a few forum members run them.

42 minutes ago, Red_ak_ranger said:

I'm a newbie mostly (some dirt bike experience) ...  I know I should enjoy the stock bike until I feel the suspension is limiting me in my fun.  

Within 10 minutes of riding you'll be wanting to fix the suspension. Ok, maybe not since you probably don't yet know good for bad, but forget the noise-box. Flash yes. Then get a K-Tech Razor-Lite shock ($460 delivered). You can wait on the forks since $15 in oil can help with that assuming your weight matches the stock springs relatively well.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

except bright, single-point of lights are well neigh impossible to judge distance and on-coming speed. If you think "blinding" them will work, you gotta surprise coming. Now a modulator does seem to be more effective - not because of increase in distance/speed recognition but more from "hey, that looks odd, what is it?" Wear brightly colored helmet (yellow, fluorescent green) and brightly colored riding gear and practice defensive riding. Don't underestimate the power of a road-construction vest. If you're high-beams aren't on, they are actually quite visible.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The Cyclops LED is a big improvement over stock for headlight.  You'll also probably want to get some LED turn signal bulbs for the rear since you'll be changing the flasher relay.  I have these and am well pleased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EEI9LLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might want to look into some frame sliders and spools to round out your initial mods.  Later on perhaps the R6 throttle tube swap along with snorkel removal and ECU flash.  

The items that make the most difference in riding experience are suspension and ECU flash.

Welcome to the FZ fam!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

The Cyclops LED is a big improvement over stock for headlight.  You'll also probably want to get some LED turn signal bulbs for the rear since you'll be changing the flasher relay.  I have these and am well pleased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EEI9LLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might want to look into some frame sliders and spools to round out your initial mods.  Later on perhaps the R6 throttle tube swap along with snorkel removal and ECU flash.  

The items that make the most difference in riding experience are suspension and ECU flash.

Welcome to the FZ fam!

+1 on those LED bulbs. They appear twice as bright as stock on my bike. you can find a picture here on page 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Hordpower airbox + ecu is fun and gives instant sound and power on throttle opening.

Quickshifter is reasonably priced and is cool.

• Premium Member

suspension... double check suspension was upgraded then install a Hordpower Airbox w/Exhaust and tune(ecu or pcv)

everything else is personalization

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Lexiemoto96

Can someone point me in the right direction to figure out how I know what the OEM color code  for my bike is? Please help! Got into an accident almost 2 weeks ago and I'm attempting to replace fairings but color match the OEM as well. 

Red_ak_ranger

Thanks guys - i wrote down the list, a lot of which seems performance based (which is good).  Those LED tail light bulbs look really bright but I bought a tail tidy and also plan on replacing the rear tails with something "smaller".  

Also I like the cyclops LED headlight and well.. wish there was a forum deal or something for members because the price is deff up there.  The shipping, for the moment, turned me off from purchasing.

Going to see if there's any youtube videos of them in action.

19 hours ago, pattonme said:

except bright, single-point of lights are well neigh impossible to judge distance and on-coming speed. If you think "blinding" them will work, you gotta surprise coming. Now a modulator does seem to be more effective - not because of increase in distance/speed recognition but more from "hey, that looks odd, what is it?" Wear brightly colored helmet (yellow, fluorescent green) and brightly colored riding gear and practice defensive riding. Don't underestimate the power of a road-construction vest. If you're high-beams aren't on, they are actually quite visible.

Why is it my words always get taken out of context? When I said "I recommend a nice, bright headlight" I had in mind being spotted quicker, not blinding people because the 3800 Cyclops I have is more a white light that's in the 5k light zone and easier to spot than the dull, yellowish light that the stock bulb emits. It's not going to blind anyone unless they stare at it which no one ever recommended.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I used the TechSpec Snakeskin tank pads, which I purchased from www.sportbiketrackgear.com a few years ago. They work great for me and have held up after several years of use.  The only thing you need to be careful about is to install properly. I cleaned the tank panels with rubbing alcohol and let the bike and tank pads sit in the summer sun for a few hours before installing. After installing the tank pads, I let the bike sit for 24 hours to let the tank pads glue adhere to the bike.

The things that make the bike nicer to ride are ECU reflash as it makes the throttle response smoother and more rideable and EQUALLY the suspension front and back. Everything else will have a less effect on your enjoyment. Neither are cheap and both have a huge effect.

Then If you ride distance get a decent seat ( my recommendation is Seat Concepts, but there are others favoured). The stock one is uncomfortable fast.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Red_ak_ranger

Picked up the bike Saturday afternoon from A dealer about 20 miles north of my home.  Practiced for about 4 miles on the side roads and the bike is super easy to get comfortable on.  Then finally decided to brave I-35 towards Austin.

When I got on the highway I shot up to 75 and was surprised to learn that apparently the wind will be trying to rip me off the bike.  Still was fun.

woke up early and practiced riding/shifting/braking for an hour.  Working on getting all these things to be second nature because it can be a bitch to downshift while signaling right and checking for car behind you then remembering to turn off be blinker.  But I did get up to 70ish and the wind didn’t feel as bad so maybe ill get used to it.

anyways, feels good :) 

Bigturbomax

Awesome news! Some people are more sensative to the wind than others. You will get used to it over time tho. Im glad you were able to get the bike :)

Bigturbomax

Also, youll wanna set the rear preload right away. They come set on the 3rd click, which is not nearly enough unless youre a really light person. I mention this because i didnt set mine right away and was really uncomfortable on the freeway for some time. When the rear sags too much it makes the rear wiggly and the front light. Which over all i found made the bike feel unstable, amplifying the effect of the wind. The wind wont seem as bad once you adjust the sag a bit to your weight as itll settle the bike a good bit. 

Red_ak_ranger

Just got the yoshi exhaust thrown on the evening after returning from a work day trip to Houston.  Should have my dmp tail tidy arriving tomorrowiah which I’m dying to throw on.  I am NOT looking forward to proton 500 signals as well as tail light.  I don’t love wiring to be honest.  

ED46D0F6-0517-4E1F-8174-E890FB6C70CA.jpeg

F74D3FEF-CDB1-4436-98CB-865D3AAD4194.jpeg

Archived