The MT-07 Forum

headphones, who wears them?

nmucat

I like to ride with headphones, at a low volume, to assist with wind noise and I like music. The issue is I have had a hard time finding a pair that works with my phone, helmet and ears.
I have tried the stock apple ones that came with my iphone 5 along with every brand available from good old wal-mart upto the $25 range (ifrog, jvc, sony, skull candy,etc). I just cant seem to find ones that work well. I would like to have a control on the wire, either volume or track, but both would be great. Then comes the ability to still hear whats going on around me or the bike (yes louder exhaust would help with that one). If they fit tight, I cant hear. If they fit loose, they fall out when I put the helmet on. The last ones even had the little shark fin thingy to keep them in place but it hurt my ears.
I currently using an HJC helmet. Any suggestions on earbuds or should I step up to a helmet mounted speakers system. Wal-mart is getting upset that every few days I return a set of headphones.

Guest unknown

Sena SMH10R and be done with it. I can't imagine riding with earbuds again. I have some friends that ride with earplugs in while using the Sena and they love it.

• Premium Member

Tried ear buds, but as a bit of an audiophile the sound quality was shet so I just stick with ear plugs instead.

Want a set of Tork slim helmet speakers.. they're supposed to sound good for in helmet use.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Sena SMH10R and be done with it. I can't imagine riding with earbuds again. I have some friends that ride with earplugs in while using the Sena and they love it.
Second this. I've been trying to save up money so I can communicate with my fellow rider(s) when I'm not going out alone. Definitely a price jump from a pair of $25 headphones, but it'll be everything you're looking for and more.  
You'll probably see this discounted since the SMH20 just came out. 

I'm an ear plug rider, only using headphones if I'm using nav to get somewhere I haven't been to. 
Hearing never comes back. Gotta keep what you can!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

^^ I third this :) I have been loving my Sena that I got earlier this year. Great for intercom riding with friends (works with all brands too) great for music and phone calls. Always fun to tell the person on the other line that I am on my bike doing 85 on the freeway B)

I use a pair of silicone ear plugs that have headphones built into them. Believe I got them from www.Plugfones.com

Not the best but they work and do what I need them to

TwistedTorque

I use some cheap ear plugs + I have my Sena SMH10R. I have no issues hearing the sena even with ear plugs. Anytime I forget my earplugs it just feels weird with all the annoying wind noise.

I have UClear Bluetooth system and at highway speeds the music gets drown out. Slower speeds is fine so I use their headphones which are really nice.

I'm with the Sena voters. Saving up myself for one. I have a couple buddies that use them and absolutely love them. Chaseontwowheels on YouTube recently did a video reviewing the three models and gave his opinions. Can't link from my work computer right now, but I'll see if I can find it.

I have UClear Bluetooth system and at highway speeds the music gets drown out. Slower speeds is fine so I use their headphones which are really nice.

I have the Uclear as well. I like it a lot. 

How do you guys like the sound quality of the Sena speakers? With my UClear it gets hard to hear at high speeds so I have to use their headphone adapters.

How does the Sena and UClear connect to different brands of comms if at all? Uclear seems to be a bit cheaper but does not offer a boom for talking, how clear is this? Anyone have/had both systems and can compare?

• Premium Member

I've done 90+ mph and I can hear my Sena (music) fine. I still have room to raise the volume too. Save up for a Sena get a 10 if the 20 is too much. There should be sales on these with the 20 out.

I use Dr Dre urBeats headphones and I love them, I clip them to the chin strap and they work great. I actually use them so much I have worn out two pairs over two years but for 100 bucks a pair it blocks out most if not all of the high do noise and I can get off after 2 hours riding and hear great. Hearing is very important but I also like to listen to music. I also have the ability with my iPhone to control volume, skips and play/pause features. I wouldn't use anything else as I really don't need to talk on the phoebe while riding, it's just plain dangerous and is much too distracting. Riding in SoCal takes all of your concentration all of the time.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

http://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html
Custom molded is the best way to protect your hearing. I use these, not cheap and the molding process is disgusting.

Got Ears?® Brand Challenger Custom Molded High-Performance Isolation Earphones are our top recommendation for anyone who wants to wear earphones while wearing a motorcycle helmet with 25+ dB of isolation that lets you escape into a world of your own music.

Advanced Design: The custom molded silicone earpieces fully enclose top quality industry standard Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers, so only a wire exits the ear cavity. The only outlet is the sound port delivering high quality sound directly into your ear canal. The drivers are so well sealed inside the earpieces, and the custom molded earpieces seal your ears so well that you can even swim with your Got Ears?® Challengers in place! As a result, your Challengers will serve you well whether you use them in the comfort of your living room, while commuting to and from work, riding your motorcycle, flying on noisy airplanes or during vigorous exercise in a full sweat.

Got Ears?® Challenger earphones feature an advanced wire design with a thin but very strong twisted pair upper wire that is flexible enough to comfortably route the wires over the ear or down from the ear. The thin, flexible upper wires greatly reduce microphonic transmission of unwanted noise into the earpieces making Challengers ideal for even the most active user. A tensioning slider lets you snug the wires up behind your head for a neat look and secure fit even during robust physical exercise. The double insulated lower wire with a molded strain-relief 90 degree plug, provides extra durability and strength that will stand up to even the most challenging environments. The wires are available only in black and are not user-replaceable

How does the Sena and UClear connect to different brands of comms if at all? Uclear seems to be a bit cheaper but does not offer a boom for talking, how clear is this? Anyone have/had both systems and can compare?
If flashed to the newest firmware (i think its 5.2)  the sena can pair with other brands.  I tried it for the first time last week with 2 friends that use scala rider sets and it worked great on our canyon ride 

I have UClear and they are great till about 75mph. I have the speakers that fit in the helmet and I'll tell you this if you have HJC helmet I had to cut the foam to get them in and I still didn't like it. I put them in my Shoei helmet and it has spots for speakers to fit but the UClear are bigger then the spot provided. I was still able to get them in at a angle and not have any problems. At 75 my wife can hear me talking but it is just hard to hear her. She has the earbuds and she hears everything fine. The only thing bad about the earbuds is she has had them fall out a few times and she has to pull over to put them back in. For some reason she says the have a funny fit and they just don't fit snug, and she has tried the different sizes. I still like having the speakers in my helmet because I can just throw it on and go, I just crank up the volume more if I get too much wind noise. Oh and another bad thing about the earbuds they are 80 bucks to buy, they do not come with the the kit.  I found out you can get them for 59 on UClear's site.  

I use urbuds by ironman. (Timex company) they have a silicon insert that lock into your ear canal and they work great. Never have an issue with them falling out and they block wind noise but I can still hear what's going on around me. I paid 50 bucks for them. Had them 2 years now not a single problem with them.

Boom

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004FDY27K?cache=9992c18f76d7af47dac70d7c0749612a&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1413056324&sr=1-2#ref=mp_s_a_1_2

I would recommend it to anyone, not top of the line for sure. Bought it 2 years ago and it still works fine. The battery will still last about 5 hours listening to music. The sound quality is not bad either.I can change it to another helmet in about 5 minutes too.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I've been researching bluetooth headphones/comms.  So far this is at the top of my list based on the low-profile setup and the volume capabilities.  Do you have any complaints about it?  I'll mostly be using it for music/gps on an iPhone, but it would be nice for 2-up rides as well.

Guest unknown

motofuzzle, my only complaint is the button set up. You have to "feel" the +,middle,and - buttons with your hand and it can be confusing. The sound quality isn't as good as in ear headphones but the bluetooth system makes up for that. Never having to worry about wires and fumbling around with it to change tracks is totally worth it IMO.

Russian Rider

I purchased these: http://amzn.to/1vvTqTt . They are perfect for riding with them in because they are very flat, don't stick out of your ear like most earbuds and get caught on the padding in the helmet. There is also that rubber that contours to your ear and keeps the earbud in. This version has the three button remote there is also a 1 button version for less money. If you check out the different colors there are some colors that are 6 or more dollars less if you don't care about colors. I've purchased tons of earbuds in the past with the most expensive ones being $170 and I'm happy with these and they stay in really well, better than anything i've ever used. If these are too pricey for you they have a cheaper set here: http://amzn.to/1rv0SGJ they are also flat but don't have the rubber seal that contours (which is nice) this set also has a cheaper 1 button version. Hope that helps!

Archived