Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
aiian

Is there an 'FZ07 rattle'?

Beemer
4 hours ago, aiian said:

Two weeks, couple hundred miles. I’ll recheck the chain tonight. 

I can deal with some metal on metal noise but this is a straight mason jar full of nuts and bolts rattle. 

Sounds really wrong, check that the tire is aligned also.

markstertt

I once ran a cheap chain on my SR500 and although I couldn't hear it, a following bike pulled me over and said it sounded like I was dragging tin cans or sheet metal behind the bike. Once I oiled the chain it would go away for 50 - 100 miles at which time my riding partner would pull up alongside and point at the chain and I would pull over and drip some more oil off the dipstick along the chain...this went on for 600+ miles until returning home and replacing the chain with a quality chain.

The chain on the FZ-07 is of decent quality but I've wondered if the hollow sheet metal swing arm couldn't magnify any sounds coming from the chain drive on our -07's. The high strength steel used in the swing arm wouldn't dampen sounds from a slapping chain as would a cast aluminum swing arm...I don't know, just some of the weird things that go through my head. I added a drive chain tensioner on my bike and it may have helped but wouldn't swear by it. I then added a 520 conversion without the damped C/s sprocket but didn't notice any real difference...better or worse. Good luck....as others have suggested, check the chain tension and alignment and go from there.

Wintersdark
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2018 at 9:23 AM, aiian said:

Two weeks, couple hundred miles. I’ll recheck the chain tonight. 

I can deal with some metal on metal noise but this is a straight mason jar full of nuts and bolts rattle. 

Mine - still very new, 350kms - has a very definite amount of rattle.  To the point I took it back to the dealer, had the service manager give it a ride, as it's constant, clearly audible (with stock surprisingly quiet) exhaust even at highway speed.  It's speed related, not RPM (disengaging the clutch doesn't affect the sound in any way) ... loudest to the left of the bike, really noticeable when riding beside a barrier or some such to reflect the sound.  

My chain was really loose when I got the bike (62mm slack IIRC), but I adjusted it to 51mm (minimum clearance as per manual) and it didn't particularly affect the noise.  Normally, I go more towards the looser end of the allotted range, but I figure the chain's going to stretch a fair bit as it's brand new.  I've oiled it twice in those 350kms (80w90 gear oil) but that doesn't affect the noise at all.

I don't have a stand (yet; it's being shipped - all my previous bikes have had centerstands so I never needed one before) so it's really hard to check alignment but the bike tracks perfectly straight.  Once I get the stand, I'm going to pull off the guards and look carefully at sprocket to sprocket alignment.  

It's tough for me to really judge, though, because I've been riding shaft drive bikes for a very long time, so I don't really remember exactly what's normal for chain noise.  Service manager at the dealership says it's normal, and should decrease after everything breaks in, blames it on the fairly small front sprocket.  But damn, it's a lot of rattle. 

Edited by Wintersdark
add details.