The MT-07 Forum

Got an itch for a new bike

Daniel Cox

Daniel Cox

Ok, 

I love my FZ07, Arrow exhaust, woodcraft clip on bars, and countless other mods have turned this bike into something I love.  But, I'm in the predicament of either doing a full suspension swap or just biting the bullet and getting another super sport.  The newer CBR1000RR has really caught my fancy and I can get a 2017 model for quite a bit off.  So off load the FZ and jump into another liter bike, or dump more money into this FZ.  I have almost spent what a CBR cost just getting this bike where it is, but a new super sport has all the suspension, brakes, and motor I could want.  The only real mods would be a slip on (cause who doesn't want a loud bike??) and tail tidy.  Maybe some shorty levers.  Having a hard time with this.  I got the FZ cause I'm getting older and dont need all that crazy stuff, but I keep wanting it!

Dan

I have a R1, Its my zen bike, the FZ is foreplay really. and I am 61

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Daniel Cox
39 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I have a R1, Its my zen bike, the FZ is foreplay really. and I am 61

Well that doesn't help much, I have looked quite hard at an R1 but really cant get comfortable on one.  Almost pulled the trigger on a GSXR cause it is amazingly comfortable until I got on a CBR.  Wow is all I can say.  Felt awesome.  Love the way those liter bikes make power. 

• Premium Member
botticelli

The tuono checks all my boxes, big pwr, sounds unreal with a v4 and comfy beyond your wildest dreams, compared to a ss. 

My only mod was a tail tidy and gas....

If you want a big bike get one. The FZ is amazing, and with the suspension overhaul, it can hang with the rest of the big boys, but it will never make power like a 1k, so if your just missing the suspension then do the suspension, if your missing the magic of 170hp, then you know what to do.

Just my .02, also age is just a number

'16 FZ07

45 minutes ago, Daniel Cox said:

Well that doesn't help much, I have looked quite hard at an R1 but really cant get comfortable on one.  Almost pulled the trigger on a GSXR cause it is amazingly comfortable until I got on a CBR.  Wow is all I can say.  Felt awesome.  Love the way those liter bikes make power. 

My R1 is an 06, they have changed to ergo when the crossplan came.  IMO the newer R1's compared to my 06 feels cramped.  The M1 however fits me nicely.  The CBR, well its a honda, 1 step above a moped ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

I found my HP-07 and FJ-09 suit each other like ying and yang... but there is something about them CP3 motors that fills my needs/wants/cravings and they punch into liter bike territory in power...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Want vs need. Good vs better. Emotions and impulses. Nothing like a SS liter bike.

Can do this logically, pros and cons - where and how do you ride, how is your throttle control and cops in your area to lose your licence, economics, wait your impulse out.

Personally, I get hot impulses all the time for something new, about every three years. I always lust after sport bikes, till I get on one and get sore wrists and stiff back from riding. Not for me but I still lust nonetheless.

Should you? Shouldn't you?

YOLO. A motorcycle is about joy, impulse, exhilaration, riding. And to get that same hit over time, you need a bigger hit. Human nature.

Do you want to be smart about it or indulge in the urge, need, feeling of power?

Yes, the lesson you have learned, up grading a Moto is expensive, adds up fast to the cost of a stock next level bike quickly and easily. Sometimes even surpassing if you're not careful.

You're expenses have shown you want more. Maybe should have gotten the fz09 and been content. Or maybe only a SS will really do it for you. We can't answer that for you. Only you can, but hopefully some aspects were clarified to help you make your decision.

Am speculating here, but sometimes our toys are a substitute for things lacking in our lives so we strive to achieve there, focus, infatuate, fantasize and sometimes still end up being unhappy because a thing can never truly makes us happy and love us back. This is deep stuff but think about that as well and maybe why you're not satisfied. Food for thought.

3 hours ago, Daniel Cox said:

...but a new super sport has all the suspension, brakes, and motor I could want.  The only real mods would be a slip on (cause who doesn't want a loud bike??) and tail tidy.  Maybe some shorty levers...

The mods never stop,  brother.. .

It's a lazy Sunday morning, so...

Been there.

Done that.

Many times.

If you want a new bike, only you can really make that decision, and only you can decide whether or not it ends-up being a good decision.

So, if you feel a strong desire for a new bike, well, you probably will get one.

However, there's no guarantee that you won't be spending additional time and money on modifications for the new one, too.

Since you brought-up the subject, I feel very much the opposite on this:

You couldn't give me a CBR1000RR, YZF-R1, GSX-R1000, ZX-10R, etc.

For where I ride my street bikes, they are actually a waste of time and money and they're not the best bike for the terrain.

My FZ-07 fits and suits me very well.

Daniel Cox

All very good points brothers.  I did really debate over the fz09 vs the 07 when I got it.  I chose the 07 due to the fact they had one I could ride and I really liked it.  I actually live in an area that is heaven for riding.  I have a 25 minute commute through the mountains to work.  I do not see a single stop light and only two stop signs.  But that is actually part of the problem with the fz07.  I also live at 7200 feet elevation and a great twisty road.  The fz07 seems a little starved for air up here and rides much different than if I was at sea level.  The twisty also takes its toll on the suspension.  Originally I actually thought about just getting an fz09, but then I would have another 4k worth of adds I would need to do.  Now I'm in SS range.  Right now I can get a 2017 GSXR or CBR1000 for around 11 to 12k.  I'm pretty sure I will pull the trigger, but I also know I will labor over it for weeks first.

1 hour ago, Daniel Cox said:

All very good points brothers.  I did really debate over the fz09 vs the 07 when I got it.  I chose the 07 due to the fact they had one I could ride and I really liked it.  I actually live in an area that is heaven for riding.  I have a 25 minute commute through the mountains to work.  I do not see a single stop light and only two stop signs.  But that is actually part of the problem with the fz07.  I also live at 7200 feet elevation and a great twisty road.  The fz07 seems a little starved for air up here and rides much different than if I was at sea level.  The twisty also takes its toll on the suspension.  Originally I actually thought about just getting an fz09, but then I would have another 4k worth of adds I would need to do.  Now I'm in SS range.  Right now I can get a 2017 GSXR or CBR1000 for around 11 to 12k.  I'm pretty sure I will pull the trigger, but I also know I will labor over it for weeks first.

How do you know the altitude isn't going to affect a new liter bike as well? Why not just send your ECU to 2wheeldyboworks and have it adjusted for that altitude and talk to pattonme about your suspension. The FZ-07 is the perfect bike for tight, twisty, mountain roads. More so than a liter bike that you'll have trouble with getting and keeping in it's super high rpm range where the power is, the power you say you like. Just brain candy that I'm throwing out here, do whatever you think is best for you and hopefully you don't learn the hard way. GL!

Beemer

Daniel Cox
6 minutes ago, Beemer said:

How do you know the altitude isn't going to affect a new liter bike as well? Why not just send your ECU to 2wheeldyboworks and have it adjusted for that altitude and talk to pattonme about your suspension. The FZ-07 is the perfect bike for tight, twisty, mountain roads. More so than a liter bike that you'll have trouble with getting and keeping in it's super high rpm range where the power is, the power you say you like. Just brain candy that I'm throwing out here, do whatever you think is best for you and hopefully you don't learn the hard way. GL!

I'm sure the altitude will effect the liter bike as well, but down from 190hp is not quite the same as down from 80hp.  My ecu is flashed and the suspension was next on my list.  I do love the way the twin FZ makes its power, but the liter bikes also have plenty down low.   A 600, yea thats a buzz bomb that you have to keep high but the liters have plenty of grunt down low.  I do really love the fz and I will probably keep it and add the liter bike to my collection.  If nothing else I think I may consider passing the fz down to my son, if his mother will allow!

4 minutes ago, Daniel Cox said:

I'm sure the altitude will effect the liter bike as well, but down from 190hp is not quite the same as down from 80hp.  My ecu is flashed and the suspension was next on my list.  I do love the way the twin FZ makes its power, but the liter bikes also have plenty down low.   A 600, yea thats a buzz bomb that you have to keep high but the liters have plenty of grunt down low.  I do really love the fz and I will probably keep it and add the liter bike to my collection.  If nothing else I think I may consider passing the fz down to my son, if his mother will allow!

If his mother doesn't allow it you can adopt me, heh, heh! 😏

Beemer

Daniel Cox
15 minutes ago, Beemer said:

If his mother doesn't allow it you can adopt me, heh, heh! 1f60f.png

If you will mow the yard and take out the trash the I may take you up on that.  

7 minutes ago, Daniel Cox said:

If you will mow the yard and take out the trash the I may take you up on that.  

Well, crap, I do that now.  Would there be cookies?  (Store bought's OK, just not the cheap kind)

Dude, I make my own cookies and store bought cookies crumble at the sight of mine, they so good.

Beemer

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

Dude, I make my own cookies and store bought cookies crumble at the sight of mine, they so good.

I was thinking more bakery than store.  But yeah, nothing beats homemade scratch cookies.

10 hours ago, Daniel Cox said:

Right now I can get a 2017 GSXR or CBR1000 for around 11 to 12k.

2017 Tuono RR, 12K, new off the showroom floor. Jap I4 is just so ... uninteresting?

2017 Triumph Speed Triple R - also 12K new.

There is only one I4 that's at all interesting (to me) the S1000RR. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold my CBR 954RR today because I got the FZ 07.

I loved the power and sound of that big motor and the razor sharp SS handling but the ergonomics were only good for about 90 miles of riding!

I appreciated what that bike was capable of more every time I rode it.

The FZ 07 fits my riding style and needs to a "T". :)

" Got an itch for a new bike"

Like chicken pox, probably best not to scratch it especially if you have dependants or unless are rich...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Grip it & Rip it

The tracer 900 GT calls out to me... It’s probably gonna be a while before I get another bike though.

Bigturbomax

Im pretty content with the FZ. The tracer 700 tho.....if we ever get those id prolly jump on one.

Archived