The MT-07 Forum

Oil data info, got any?

Spitfire

Now I have seen some interesting discussions about oil and personal dogma, beliefs and experiences online.

But research and data, for me, goes a long way past someone's personal recommendation based upon limited personal experience and biased emotions.

Mostly we only have marketing hype to go on.

Did some online searching and came across one detailed blog where a drag racer was testing oil by passing it through rollers and measuring the pressure required till the oil film no longer passed through the rollers. He tested a multitude of brands, viscosities and types. 

Found it valid and more detailed and informative than anything beyond an old Consumer Reports test of taxi motors in the 80s.

Fyi, check it out but be warned it's a long read. He even has a section specifying motorcycle engine and oil specfics.

While many have used and recommended the diesel oils like Rotella, he says low rpm diesel oil far from ideal for high revving motorcycles which makes sense. Totally opposite applications but must admit myself, had been doing it as it was the best, common "heresay" information online that I believed 

Has anyone read or seen any data or test information on motor oil stating results and rating of brands? Would be great to share with all here.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/amp/

Edited by Spitfire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not another oil thread. No, don't do it.😉

Great big article with loads of data, need more coffee.

I'm sticking with Amsoil. 

He recommending car oils for wet clutches - there's something different. 

Edited by rick

I think the last oil thread pretty much came down to "just change your oil, whatever oil you use, at the proper interval and everything will be OK."

• Like 1

Beemer

This is not an oil thread. 😉

Now repeat with me, this is not an oil thread!

We do NOT want to know what oil you use! Not an opinion thread 

If however, you have any links to oil research and data from independent, unbiased sources, similar to what I posted, would be great to know. Please share.

Am well aware of how "opinions" go on oil and how every oil thread goes. Have read many seeking the holy Grail.  Lol.

Mostly heresay, marketing influence, hype, tainted logic and manipulated facts, etc...

Looking for independent hard test data, scientific results.

Not opinions, not personal preference, NOT asking what anyone uses or why.

Note, I didn't post what I use or prefer as I have no conclusive proof what is best. And not afraid to say so. 😀

If anyone has come across test data and would like to share, great.

That is all I am looking for and hoping to find/share for the benefit of all.

Hopefully. Ideally. Gratefully. 

The blog I posted has that. Anyone know of similar independent research? Better? More up to date? 

BTW, that blog post has more info than I have ever found anywhere else. And this guy drag races so his needs are similar to motorcycles and testing to determine what oils give maximum lubrication for protection and longevity. And he has compared all the major brands, types and viscosities. Appears credible as he drag races and for the longevity of his engines, oil is critical. So getting the best oil at the best price is win win.

Knowledge is power.

FWIW, the top ten oils were mostly Mobil 1 and the sweet spot oil was Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend being better than many straight synthetics and only slightly more expensive than conventional. And he does test some of the super premium oils and they didn't perform better considering their marketing (hype?) and price premium.

Edited by Spitfire
  • Like 1

Yep, likely a good reason why Chevy specifies Mobil 1 for the C7 Corvettes. 

Aside from plowing thru BITOG, forum, for mostly opinion and a bit of facts, don't think I've ever seen as much info in one place either. 

Will have to go thru it more carefully - a rainy day read. 

Edited by rick

1 hour ago, Spitfire said:

This is not an oil thread. 😉

Now repeat with me, this is not an oil thread!

We do NOT want to know what oil you use! Not an opinion thread 

OilThread.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

debating oil is like debating on which religion is the best

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Rick has a point. Amsoil has perhaps THE most quoted set of tests around and convinced many people to go with it on that basis. And that would be a reasonable decision. Why. Because they published proper tested ( by them though) comparative data. Most oil companies just publish marketing platitudes, so people are wary of any claims made by them.

So the subject of this thread is a very valid one.

What those of us who want to make an informed decision , is enough data, to create enough information, to make rational decisions. For that we really need INDEPENDANT tests. So I will add my pleadings to the original post. If anyone has any links to proper oil tests , I too would like to see them. Having them in one place ( ie here) would be useful.

I have seen some recent oil tests ( not large or definitive enough) that consistently put Mobil 1 at or near the top of the lists. But it is insanely expensive here. Still they were all short term tests. Other tests I have seen showed Shell's top oil right up there BUT lost lubricity rather quickly, so a broad range of data is necessary.

Edited by gregjet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I could post pictures of what happened to the cams on a tuned ZX-10R after mere minutes on the dyno with Mobil 1 if there is any interest.

Whoa, that's not what we are looking for in this thread. Lol.

That sounds like quite a thread and story all of and in itself. Would recommend you share all details on another thread and we could focus and question it in detail there I think. Brings up lots of questions as to the specifics of exactly what happened, how and why and IF the full and real details are available. In a catastrophe, always looking for the easy scapegoats. Mobil 1, huh? 

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1499105933.591929.jpg

Picard says use Wesson It works with everything even warp enjuns

wesson.jpg

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

And this is what HD recommends for its gear box

74012.jpg

• Like 1

" I could post pictures of what happened to the cams on a tuned ZX-10R after mere minutes on the dyno with Mobil 1 if there is any interest."

Very interested If all other relevant info about the run is included ( ie were the cams preoiled before the run).

R1, I thought Harleys only used self tappers...

• Haha 1

• Global Moderator

I use this in the fall (I think I stole this photo from another thread around here somewhere). ;)

2D19209E-0CDB-4987-B039-A7C716E05D75.jpeg

• Haha 2

The best place for real data that I've found (i.e. lab oil analysis report results) is https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/  and go to the forums section.  There is a dedicated motorcycles forum.   Take your time and look through the virgin oil analysis and used oil analysis lab reports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjg said:

The best place for real data that I've found (i.e. lab oil analysis report results) is https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/  and go to the forums section.  There is a dedicated motorcycles forum.   Take your time and look through the virgin oil analysis and used oil analysis lab reports.

Bob works for Harly

• 1 month later...

The last motorcycle oil thread I read had this pearl of wisdom.

What good is your fancy oil going to do if your oil pump fails? I don't use motor oil. I use premix. I love the smell of Klotz 2-Stroke Oil. Nothing beats a nice thick blue haze flowing out of your exhaust pipe. It really makes the tree huggers and "coexist" bumper sticker crowd go ballistic. 

" Thou shall changeth thine oil every 3k!!"

Is that African or European 3k....OOPS sorry...is that US/UK or the rest of the world 3k?

MT27 you must have the unhappiest spark plugs in the 07 community...lol

• Haha 1

LOL! "Is that African or European 3k....OOPS sorry...is that US/UK or the rest of the world 3k? "

I don't know that ,,,,,,, arrrrrrrgh! (catapults into air & into ravine)

Beemer

14 hours ago, MT27 said:

re-read my post. I read it elsewhere. Not my bike.

If I had a nickel for every time someone misread or misunderstood what I said online I could take a homeless girl on a date to McDonalds.

Beemer