The MT-07 Forum

R6 thottle tube

Dharma

Alright, I expect several obligatory forum slaps as there are a few (read: many) prior threads on this old horse. 

But.....

I'm still confused and need some guidance. Here's what I want:  less throttle turn for the same get up and go.  I understand that people typically go with an OEM 2006+R6 tube which comes with the issue of having a grip already on it that is a pain in the ass to remove and typically results in asymmetric grips on your bike (which would likely exacerbate my OCD tendencies and make me want to wheelie off a nearby cliff).  The second route I've read about is the pro motion version which comes with the issue of being a softer, potentially lower quality part, and does not share the same internal diameter as the OEM tubes resulting in it being "loose" and qualitatively noticeable on this front, particularly when coming to a stop.  This too may result in said cliff scenario. 

I will offer powerful thanks and prayers of abundance to anyone who can help me find less throttle turn without any of the above issues and keep me from suicidal wheelies off cliffs. I have some pro grips and rizoma reverse retro bar end mirrors (with associated adapters) I plan on putting on--adding this to make sure there are no issues here.  

You people are the best kind of people. 

Edited by Dharma

• Premium Member

Plenty of knock off parts passed off as a name brand- that's where small details such as loose ish fitment, funky smells, odd colors, etc....

I actually went back to OEM throttle tube for better range throttle control over a quick turn throttle... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Dharma said:

Alright, I expect several obligatory forum slaps as there are a few (read: many) prior threads on this old horse. 

But.....

I'm still confused and need some guidance. Here's what I want:  less throttle turn for the same get up and go.  I understand that people typically go with an OEM 2006+R6 tube which comes with the issue of having a grip already on it that is a pain in the ass to remove and typically results in asymmetric grips on your bike (which would likely exacerbate my OCD tendencies and make me want to wheelie off a nearby cliff).  The second route I've read about is the pro motion version which comes with the issue of being a softer, potentially lower quality part, and does not share the same internal diameter as the OEM tubes resulting in it being "loose" and qualitatively noticeable on this front, particularly when coming to a stop.  This too may result in said cliff scenario. 

I will offer powerful thanks and prayers of abundance to anyone who can help me find less throttle turn without any of the above issues and keep me from suicidal wheelies off cliffs. I have some pro grips and rizoma reverse retro bar end mirrors (with associated adapters) I plan on putting on--adding this to make sure there are no issues here.  

You people are the best kind of people. 

There's no pain to removing the R6 throttle tube's grip. A pair of scissors or a sharp blade will make short work of it. Then slip on any grip your OCD requires.

Factory FZ-07 requires a full 90° of rotation (1/4 turn) to go from idle to full throttle. The Motion Pro throttle tube requires 72° of rotation (1/5 turn) to perform the same operation. The R6 throttle tube requires the least amount of rotation with only 60° (1/6 turn) to get the job done.

I have the R6 throttle tube, that I switched to from stock after 2,000 miles,  and find it negligibly  different in normal riding except when you want to peg the throttle. It took zero time to adjust to the shorter throw. Honestly, if It had been swapped without my knowledge I seriously doubt I'd have noticed before the first time  I went to peg the throttle. There's nothing scary about it.

@Beemer swapped out his to the R6 (after 25,000+ miles on the stock throttle tube) as well and we're in agreement  on the minimal difference the R6 throttle has on normal riding. You'll only notice any kind of difference if you're one to ride WOT all the time.

Of course this is my opinion based on my own experience. It may differ from what others have experienced.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

Edited by DewMan
  • Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Holy hell that was super helpful—thanks! Did you order yours online from yammi?  And it is indeed the 2006+ R6 tube?   I have a 2018 MT07–same fit as previous years, no?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Dharma said:

Holy hell that was super helpful—thanks! Did you order yours online from yammi?  And it is indeed the 2006+ R6 tube?   I have a 2018 MT07–same fit as previous years, no?

I ordered the 2C0-26240-00-00 GRIP ASSY (Yamaha Motor) from partzilla. It can be ordered from any source of genuine Yamaha parts. This just happens to be where I ordered mine. I'm not aware that the throttle assembly is any different on the 2018 than it is from the 2014-17 models, but I can't swear to it.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

If you use the search function of this forum you'll find several helpful threads where you'll find all the information I've given you  plus more such as helpful hints to successfully install the throttle tube such as this one and many others:

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks again DewMan.  My order from partszilla is coming this week.  I'm debating whether or not I should just pay my mechanic to do this with a thousand other things I"m adding on in the coming weeks. 

Easy on that Dew, DewMan.  Da Dabeetus is a mean bitch. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dharma said:

Easy on that Dew, DewMan.  Da Dabeetus is a mean bitch. 

Yes it is... that's one of the reasons why I switched to Diet Dew way back when it first came out.  I don't do drugs, rarely drink and quit smoking.... So Diet Dew is my only vice. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 1 month later...

Ride mostly track, tried the pro-motion 1/5th, but ended up and happy with R6 1/6th turn.

Will need to add slack at throttle bodies for added tube diameter

1172776238_R6throttletube1-6thturn.thumb.jpg.c4d8cb89cc01360f6a2b9cae9fd317b8.jpg

I performed this mod to my wife's FZ07 at about the 700 mile mark, she remarked that she had to be a bit more precise with the throttle control for the first 50 miles whilst she got used to it, but after that she loved it and says she would never go back. for the money this seems to be a great improvement.. As stated make sure to put enough slack in the cables so that the throttle shuts properly after changing the tube.

Gary

OEM R6 throttle here too.  Still easy to modulate throttle input while being much more comfortable to reach full throttle.  Installs in 10 minutes.  I have mismatched grips but they look quite similar so I'll just wait until these wear out before I replace them both.

The good show

I'm completely swapping out the stock throttle mechanism for a Venhill 888 fast action throttle. It ships with two rotors - one which pulls 36mm in 90 degrees and the other in 80. I'm not sure if you could just opt to swap out the tube, rather than the entire housing.

If anyone has coincerns in the future about getting a throttle tube with a grip already on it they can always slip some Grip-Puppies over top of them instead of trying to get them off. They help absorb vibration, theyr're soft & comfortable and grippier than most grips I've ever used.

Beemer

I found the grips came off very easily from the stock FZ tube and the R6 tube, I slipped the FZ grip off and onto the R6 tube in about 2 minutes with no issues, the glue used by yamaha is easy to get off without damaging the rubber grip.. There was enough of the old glue left on the throttle tube and inside the FZ grip that I just put the FZ grip on the R6 tube and it has never slipped!! Will make it easier to change in the future.

Gary

Edited by Thrasherg

• 2 years later...
Evanlamarr88
On 6/14/2018 at 1:50 PM, elmo said:

Ride mostly track, tried the pro-motion 1/5th, but ended up and happy with R6 1/6th turn.

Will need to add slack at throttle bodies for added tube diameter

1172776238_R6throttletube1-6thturn.thumb.jpg.c4d8cb89cc01360f6a2b9cae9fd317b8.jpg

Can you help me understand this? Got the OEM R6 tube from Yamaha but it’s so tight that it won’t release when I turn the throttle after I’ve tightened the throttle tube cover. I’ve loosened up the cable from the bolt near the handlebars as much as I can, and it doesn’t help anything.

• Premium Member

I just came here to make a post about the R6 after installing today and there it was top of the list! 

Huge difference in immediate power/responsiveness with far less use of the wrist. Running Renthal ulra low bars, adjusting the cables was a minor fiddle. The insert of the Rizoma billet grip wouldnt budge so I thrashed it out with pliers. The grip didnt have an allen screw to lock it down so I used a piece of electrical tape and a little bit of rubber contact cement to adhere it to the tube, not sure if thats proper proceedure but it sure wont be slipping, its on there tight.   Threw some "Grip Puppies" over top and everything feels outstanding. Very pleased with this one.  VROOM !

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Evanlamarr88 said:

Can you help me understand this? Got the OEM R6 tube from Yamaha but it’s so tight that it won’t release when I turn the throttle after I’ve tightened the throttle tube cover. I’ve loosened up the cable from the bolt near the handlebars as much as I can, and it doesn’t help anything.

I adjusted the cables down engine side. The r6 throttle was too tight and sticking so I loosened the forward cable (one with the small nut) and adjusted back and forth until I found the sweet spot for tension and play making sure the lower nut is fully seated snugged right up in the little lock bracket, a final twist with a wrench and good to go. Made a very minor adjustment to the rear cable as well. It only took a few minutes, now it's buttery smooth and snaps back perfectly. How much required fiddling may depend on what bars youre using. On mine with Renthal ultra-lows it was almost perfect. You just have to start it up and play with it.    

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Evanlamarr88
17 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

I adjusted the cables down engine side. The r6 throttle was too tight and sticking so I loosened the forward cable (one with the small nut) and adjusted back and forth until I found the sweet spot for tension and play making sure the lower nut is fully seated snugged right up in the little lock bracket, a final twist with a wrench and good to go. Made a very minor adjustment to the rear cable as well. It only took a few minutes, now it's buttery smooth and snaps back perfectly. How much required fiddling may depend on what bars youre using. On mine with Renthal ultra-lows it was almost perfect. You just have to start it up and play with it.    

thanks so much for this. Works perfect now, and piece of cake to do. Wonderful mod.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Evanlamarr88 said:

thanks so much for this. Works perfect now, and piece of cake to do. Wonderful mod.

Dont mention it. Glad you got it sorted out! I agree its a solid mod.

• 4 months later...
Fast_Frankenstein

Obviously this is beaten to death - regarding wheelies off of a cliff - the second solution is to order the R6 clutch side grip as well... Perfect match for the R6 throttle tube, and being from the R6, it also makes the bike quicker. ;)

• 7 months later...
On 5/12/2018 at 1:41 AM, DewMan said:

Factory FZ-07 requires a full 90° of rotation (1/4 turn) to go from idle to full throttle. The Motion Pro throttle tube requires 72° of rotation (1/5 turn) to perform the same operation. The R6 throttle tube requires the least amount of rotation with only 60° (1/6 turn) to get the job done.

@DewMan Do you know which Motion Pro throttle tube you were referring to? There is one (model 01-1303) that says it is the OEM replacement for a 2006 - 2018 R6 which suggests to me it should be the 60° tube. The other one (model 01-0094) is for a 2003 - 2005 R6 which I think had a longer travel.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, seven said:

@DewMan Do you know which Motion Pro throttle tube you were referring to? There is one (model 01-1303) that says it is the OEM replacement for a 2006 - 2018 R6 which suggests to me it should be the 60° tube. The other one (model 01-0094) is for a 2003 - 2005 R6 which I think had a longer travel.

Hopefully someone who switched to the Motion-Pro can answer your question. I went with the Yamaha R6 throttle tube. 

if the Yamaha R6 throttle tube is any indication the 2006-2018 version Motion Pro matches the years of the Yamaha R6 throttle tube that works.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

6 hours ago, seven said:

Do you know which Motion Pro throttle tube you were referring to? There is one (model 01-1303) that says it is the OEM replacement for a 2006 - 2018 R6 which suggests to me it should be the 60° tube. The other one (model 01-0094) is for a 2003 - 2005 R6 which I think had a longer travel.

Hi, do yourself a big favor and just get the factory Yamaha OEM R6 tube. The part number is higher up in this thread. Don't worry about the other grip right away as the grip that comes on the R6 tube looks very similar to yours. Do the other grip over the winter or on a rainy couple of days - no rush. Just remember to not only loosen the adjuster at the throttle assembly, but also loosen the two adjusters at the throttle body. This will make the install super easy. Tighten everything up, and be amazed how a $25 tweak can make such a difference.

Edited by FZ not MT

6 hours ago, seven said:

All of the motion pros have less throw than the OEM R6 replacement.

I found out the hard way, I should have bought the genuine R6 replacement.

Edited by stickshift