The MT-07 Forum

Know before you buy The Secret Helmet Warranty

r1limited

So I have been looking for a new LID, in doing so one of my three questions and what I look for is the OEM manufacture Stamp on the helmet, Crash Return Discount, Return Policy.  I will start with the first as it is important

1. OEM manufacture Stamp:  This is critical and most important to me as most helmet OEMs have a 5 Year Warranty for manufacture defects or say the chin strap breaks, most OEMs will not sell those straps and request you send it to them for replacement (ARAI and Bell are one of those OEM's) Back to warranty, brick and mortars will send you back to the OEM or will have a fitment program like eSites aka Revzilla to wear it around the house and bring it back if not right.  But the Key thing we are talking about is OEM manufacture Stamp this is the secret unkown most riders are unaware of.  The 5 Year Warranty is based on the Date stamped on the Helmet, NOT WHEN YOU PURCHASE IT!  Let me say that again "The 5 Year Warranty is based on the Date stamped on the Helmet, NOT WHEN YOU PURCHASE IT!"  So you buy a lid at clearance for 50% off, chances are those stamps are a year maybe to or more old, you buy it say today May 2018 you get it and discover the OEM stamp is October 2016 Ya your screwed for full warranty.  EVERY OEM will advise it does not matter one iota as far as they are concerned the warranty and life of that helmet is based on that time stamp, so buyer beware.  The first thing I look for is that stamp, if it is within 6 months of my purchase date I am good with that.
  2. Crash Return Discount:  Many OEMs offer a crash return discount, Bell helmets is noted for leading the industry on this one.  What this means is hoping and by Gods grace you survive the OEM will indeed offer a fairly nice discount to purchase the same helmet and return to them the damaged.  Bell, ARAI (Well last I checked they did) again are two that do offer this.  I do believe AGV, Scorpian do as well I may be mistaken.  You should be able to find this out by asking the OEM with a email to the Support Department or Race Department.
  3. Return Policy: This is huge, making sure if you are buying from a brick and mortar they have a return policy if the helmet does not fit.  Lets define this, majority of shops will if you are just walking around the house all day (RECOMMENDED STANDARD) and never road it riding with in a day or two to replace it with a larger or different helmet.  IF THEY DO NOT, WALK AWAY after trying it on and buy from someone who will.  Most ALL web sellers, Bike bandit, revzilla STL, Dennis Kirk have this policy.  The down side, you have to send the helmet in for inspection before they send the other out, again BE AWARE.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 years later...
  • Global Moderator

I am not sure but I doubt anyone does a.crash discount on jackets and such.  Helmets are good for one crash and then must be replaced, where jackets, gloves etc. can be inspected and if they are in satisfactory condition they can continue to be used. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
5 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I am not sure but I doubt anyone does a.crash discount on jackets and such.  Helmets are good for one crash and then must be replaced, where jackets, gloves etc. can be inspected and if they are in satisfactory condition they can continue to be used. 

As much as I don't want to be "that guy"..... The helmet thing is a scam, run by lawyers/risk management people. The real problem is bargain/discount helmets, combined with inconstant helmet use. I can buy a $900 carbon fiber "race" helmet, and crash it on my first day., and it's now considered "useless"... Rider "B" can buy a Walmart D.O.T. certified helmet for $39.99, expose it to the Sun/UV rays for 5 years, and half a million miles, and it's still considered "safe" (as long as rider "B" didn't crash). This makes ZERO sense to me, or anyone with half a brain-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

One of the problems is the Styrofoam material used for energy absorption.  If it really does its job protecting you in a bad crash, it got crushed and isn't as thick as it used to be... hence it's used up and won't work a second time.  Unfortunately a user doesn't have an easy way to examine it to determine if it's been crushed or not.   Add to that the question of whether or not the shell has been damaged so that it isn't as strong as it originally was.

UV is blocked by paint/graphics, and likely additives made to absorb it, so I really don't see that as a cause for degradation in a few years of intermittent exposure. 

First comment, any good dealer or shop will go with the test fit, aka not ridden in and still clean.  We used to tell people to do what we called the TV test.  Put on the helmet and watch TV for an hour or so.  No hot spots, or pain, good fit - go ride.    Otherwise come in and we get the right size or different helmet.   

Second comment.   Helmet care, keep your high buck helmet in a closet that is dark (no sun light) and no where near any electric motors or solvents (in the house is best) to keep from having UV or solvent fumes damaging the helmet liner over time.   The foam may break down over years, but the EPS should hold for near eternity if not exposed to damaging ozone or solvent fumes.    Avoid putting the helmet over the fuel filler cap and don't leave it in the garage.   I keep my helmets in bags in a closet.   

Third comment.  When it comes to dual sport or off road, a good lower priced helmet like the Bell MX-9 and MX-9 Adventure make sense.  It's a lot easier to toss a $200 helmet in the trash after a hard impact than it is to do so with a $600 one.   My street helmet is a Bell Star DLX, my dual sport is an MX-9 Adventure.   They fit me very well and suit my plans.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think the OP is mistaken. HJC is the biggest helmet manufacturer and they state that their warranty for the RPHA series as an example is valid 5 years from the date of purchase or 7 years from DOM so there is a 2 year buffer. Bell helmets - one of the manufacturers the OP quoted - are warranted 5 years from the date of purchase. I didn't check for everyone else but you get the idea. 

I am attaching screenshots from the manufacturers websites.

Screenshot_20210723-101512_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210723-101623_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Julian

On 4/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, cornerslider said:

As much as I don't want to be "that guy"..... The helmet thing is a scam, run by lawyers/risk management people. The real problem is bargain/discount helmets, combined with inconstant helmet use. I can buy a $900 carbon fiber "race" helmet, and crash it on my first day., and it's now considered "useless"... Rider "B" can buy a Walmart D.O.T. certified helmet for $39.99, expose it to the Sun/UV rays for 5 years, and half a million miles, and it's still considered "safe" (as long as rider "B" didn't crash). This makes ZERO sense to me, or anyone with half a brain-

The whole crash thing is up to you, the rider.  There is no one else in the U.S. making that judgement for public road use.   Both a $39.95 helmet and a $900 helmet would have similar damage to the EPS, so both would be junk.  It is totally up to the rider when to dispose of it.   There is no law in any state in the U.S. that deals with inspection of damage or deterioration to my knowledge.  Only helmet use laws and that the helmets be DOT labeled.   Of course there are bogus DOT stickers put on those beanie helmets, but hey,. it's up to the LEO to have enough knowledge to know what's real and what's bogus.  Not rocket science, is it built like a real motorcycle helmet inside or not.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I was speaking of race, and some track day organizations that require helmets to be less than five years old, and damage free-

myfootisdumb

i just got a great DOT helmate from walmart, it was $75 and fit great. just as in shoes, its beat to try that fit in person.

7 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I was speaking of race, and some track day organizations that require helmets to be less than five years old, and damage free-

I meant they are on equal footing.   You could have the same exposure to the high dollar helmet and the low buck one be new.  Plus it is still up to the rider when to do what.  In fact I'd be more concerned that the high dollar helmet might be the one that could be the one least likely to be replaced the soonest.   A rider could toss away three $300 certified helmets to one $900 one.   

I never spend big money on my dual sport helmet because it is most likely to get thrashed or I might take a hit on some hard ground on dirt/gravel.  Far less likely with my street helmet.  I'd feel really bad tossing what looks like a good helmet that cost me $600, but tossing a $175, not near the big deal and go get another.

• Premium Member
cornerslider
23 hours ago, klx678 said:

I meant they are on equal footing.   You could have the same exposure to the high dollar helmet and the low buck one be new.  Plus it is still up to the rider when to do what.  In fact I'd be more concerned that the high dollar helmet might be the one that could be the one least likely to be replaced the soonest.   A rider could toss away three $300 certified helmets to one $900 one.   

I never spend big money on my dual sport helmet because it is most likely to get thrashed or I might take a hit on some hard ground on dirt/gravel.  Far less likely with my street helmet.  I'd feel really bad tossing what looks like a good helmet that cost me $600, but tossing a $175, not near the big deal and go get another.

But it's not up to the rider to choose? It's up to the track organization to let you ride, or not ride - at their event.... I don't know anything about the dual sport world, and helmets. This the FZ-07 forum, we ride in asphalt only....

@cornerslider  So it is up to the organization, no difference.  Either helmet could be treated badly or very well, price doesn't come into play, that is what I had written.   Now if the organization wants to require Snell only or even carbon fiber only, it is totally up to them.  Whether on dirt or asphalt or both for supermoto riders.  Private business could call for riders to run buck naked if they wanted to.

Edited by klx678

I've still got my first dirt bike helmet bought new in 1993. It just hangs from the shop rafters as decoration. Ten years ago I was moving it around and the EPS is literally hard as wood. I didn't know styrofoam could turn that hard, but it does. 

That's an extreme timeline, I know, but I'm definitely a believer in EPS degradation. I've crashed some helmets and busted/flattened the EPS in them. I make my own judgement call on degradation, not based solely on age. I can feel the EPS with a fingernail and comfortably judge for myself when I think it's expired. I had a dirt lid a few years ago that I thought felt like it'd gone a bit hard. The comfort had gone away and the EPS felt off. I bonked a tree that summer and the EPS shattered. It was a 3yr old lid. It also had been exposed to tons of sunlight, muggy southern summers, multiple washings and bucketloads of sweat. Dirt lids go through a lot compared to street lids, but street lids generally see far more seat time.

All that to say this....as much as it sucks...that 5-7yr lifespan seems pretty reasonable judging by my personal experience, but usage certainly needs to be factored in as well.  My personal experience is only valuable to me and is not a guide for others. 

Nothing lasts forever. That's why they make new sh*t. 

Since I can't find a replacement head I like I put my coconut in a new helmet after every crash or 5 years, whichever comes third.

Truth be told they're so nasty by 5 years old even I won't put my body parts in em. 

Just retired my 2 favorite ladies,

IMG_20210726_195130827.thumb.jpg.44978d5ca53126fd713d81cd12cb993c.jpg

It's cheaper than my deductible fellas.

40 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Truth be told they're so nasty by 5 years old even I won't put my body parts in em. 

My HJC's helmet has a snap-out liner that can be washed.  I'm not telling you I do it very often, but you don't have to get a new helmet just because the liner gets dirty.  

1 minute ago, Triple Jim said:

My HJC's helmet has a snap-out liner that can be washed.  I'm not telling you I do it very often, but you don't have to get a new helmet just because the liner gets dirty.  

I always get a second liner when I pick up a new helmet. Swap them track/roadside as necessary and wash frequently. They still degrade and the helmet strap frays and then the shield mechanism goes wonky then something falls off then it's either time or I end up in a bush.

Jebus!  You're hard on your helmets.   :)

You probably already do, but if you don't, use anti-bacterial soap when you wash them.

9 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Jebus!  You're hard on your helmets.   

It's the bushes!

• Like 1