The MT-07 Forum

Fixing Crashed Bike

Benh972

• Premium Member

So one month in, I crashed my brand new bike. Can't believe I am "that guy". So, I have insurance, but this might not be the best first impression on my new insurance company. So I am hoping maybe I can do some repairs myself. Then have a pro check her over and make sure I didn't miss anything out of pocket. The damage is to the back of the bike and on the left side. The left side crank case is toast. I was looking at the service manual and it talks about pulling the engine and turning it upside down to disassemble and resemble the crank case. I do not have the tooling to tackle a job like that. Anyone have any experience with repairs like this? Here is my post with some pictures. Worst comes to worst I will bite the bullet and let insurance take care of it.

I am guessing you looped it.

Were are you located Geo wise?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, r1limited said:

I am guessing you looped it.

Were are you located Geo wise?

I am in DFW area of North Texas.

42 minutes ago, Benh972 said:

I am in DFW area of North Texas.

To bad, would had offered to assist if you are in the hood.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, r1limited said:

To bad, would had offered to assist if you are in the hood.

Thanks man, that means a lot even though geography will not allow it. I am a bit depressed about the situation, but I feel like I love the bike even more since we kinda shared this experience. I am one of those people who has to name his bikes. I was wondering what I was gonna name this one, but I think she will be Phoenix. One way or another she will rise again.

My R1 is Yeller Beast
My FZ is Baby

if I were you, I would strip the seat, tank off learn about string alignment (plenty Info out there) to validate your frame is not twerked :) bring the wheels in to a shop and have them spin them up to make sure the rims are not bent.  If the frame and wheels are in great shape then its all about cosmetics.  If the bottom half of the case is cracked then you will need to pull the motor, drain fluids, flp it upside down and replace the side case and bottom case.  If it is not cracked then just fix the side case.

Get the scrubbed bolt out will take a drill bit and an easy out (Good Investment tool)  using an easy out is simple enough, drill into the bolt deep enough to use the easy out to back the bolt out.  Replacing cosmetics is going to cost you.  Many Many times a simple tip over will total a bike because the cosmentic replacement is more then the bike is worth. 

Archived