Jump to content
botticelli

Show me how you go to the track

Recommended Posts

I am shopping for a new "car" and rather than a pickup, I'm really inclined to scoop one of these. Ram Promaster City Tradesman SLT Cargo van.

 

I ride a bike every single day to work, so this is literally for going to the track and the occasional need for a cage in my life.

 

For Inspiration show me a pic of your track going setup.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My transport vehicle while on my quest for world domination. So far, no one is cooperating.

There is an FZ under there somewhere if you look close enough.

IMG_20171013_121721-2080x1560.jpg

Edited by Spitfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a wagon and trailer setup.  It's the pickup of Europe with the benefit of not having pickup mileage, handling and hugeness during daily driving.  I recommend this setup as long as the track isn't crazy far away in which I would probably get an enclosed trailer.  It's 2.5 hours away for me.

Track setup.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spitfire said:

My transport vehicle while on my quest for world domination. So far, no one is cooperating.

There is an FZ under there somewhere if you look close enough.

IMG_20171013_121721-2080x1560.jpg

I can't see the type of motorcycle carrier you have but I've thought about this one for some time now. Are you happy with yours? Is bike easy enough to load/unload with one person? What are your thoughts on the one in my link? Our bikes are 397 lbs. and this is rated for up to 500 lbs. so it should be safe, right? Most curious about how the weight on the back affects the steering/handling. A Toyota RAV4 would be similar to what you have. Maybe @botticelli would be interested as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadstar-Motorcycle-Scooter-Dirtbike-Anti-Tilt/dp/B072MN6QPF/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530626734&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=motorcycle+carrier+for+2011+toyota+RAV4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kbob2000 said:

Bought a wagon and trailer setup.  It's the pickup of Europe with the benefit of not having pickup mileage, handling and hugeness during daily driving.  I recommend this setup as long as the track isn't crazy far away in which I would probably get an enclosed trailer.  It's 2.5 hours away for me.

Track setup.jpg

I like that trailer, got a link for it? Can't tell what car that is, can't make out the emblem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used trailers in my early riding days but the hassle of hook up, storage,problems with things like fenders falling off and dragging on tires ruining them, lights failing, annual tag fees caused me to go the small pickup route. Usually carried two dirt bikes and the riding gear like fuel cans,tool boxes, lawn chairs,large coolers and so on required for a day long 100-200 mile round trip to the mx track. I did use one of those hitch ramp set ups for awhile when going solo and taking the Pinto to the race. Never had a problem with the hitch ramp. Mx  bike was only around 230 lbs.  I have a thing for the Golf wagon now but can't bring myself to pull the trigger. Mag reviews look good for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beemer said:

I like that trailer, got a link for it? Can't tell what car that is, can't make out the emblem.

Looks like they only sell them in the EU, unfortunately.  It's a Stema MT750, I paid about $600.00 for it used from a dealer.  I also throw a piece of plywood on it and use it as a utility trailer.  I hate driving trucks so it's not really an option to me.  It's built pretty solid and I don't think I'll put enough miles on it to need to do much in the way of maintenance.

 

My wagon is 2007 BMW 320D.  It paid about $5500 for it and it has a fuel range of about 620 miles.  Has a hidden hitch that pops out at the press of a button, it's probably my favorite feature, lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

Looks like they only sell them in the EU, unfortunately.  It's a Stema MT750, I paid about $600.00 for it used from a dealer.  I also throw a piece of plywood on it and use it as a utility trailer.  I hate driving trucks so it's not really an option to me.  It's built pretty solid and I don't think I'll put enough miles on it to need to do much in the way of maintenance.

 

My wagon is 2007 BMW 320D.  It paid about $5500 for it and it has a fuel range of about 620 miles.  Has a hidden hitch that pops out at the press of a button, it's probably my favorite feature, lol.  

I was wondering if it was a BMW, I like Beemers! That trailer does look pretty solid, it should last quite awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Beemer, 

Will start a separate thread with pic and answers when I get to an area with better cell coverage.

Edited by Spitfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been dreaming about a cargo van myself. Enough room for a bike and a cot and i'd be a very happy guy. I enjoy going down to deal's gap as much as I enjoy the track, and it's about a 5 hr drive for me. My current set up is a jeep wrangler with a small trailer, and then renting a room. but it's a hassle and a van would be amazing! I've owned the jeep for 11 years though and I'm pretty attached to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome!

 

Thanks to all that have posted! Please keep it up!

 

Yeah the van is becoming very tempting. I want to do COTA and Laguna seca and so that means overnight travel. the bike and all the goodies can stay in the van while I'm at a hotel.

Then at the tracks I just sleep in it. .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have a look at Mercedes Vitos and VW Transporter. The Vitos are really big in the back for a reasonably small outer size. Turbo Diesels get very good fuel economy. Unlike a lot of vans the floor is not overly high off the ground.

Mercedes Sprinter is even bigger and higher.

Of course the US being the US , they are probably called something different from the rest of the world there.

Edited by gregjet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.