The MT-07 Forum

Show me how you go to the track

botticelli

• Premium Member
botticelli

I am shopping for a new "car" and rather than a pickup, I'm really inclined to scoop one of these. Ram Promaster City Tradesman SLT Cargo van.

I ride a bike every single day to work, so this is literally for going to the track and the occasional need for a cage in my life.

For Inspiration show me a pic of your track going setup.

'16 FZ07

• 1 month later...

My transport vehicle while on my quest for world domination. So far, no one is cooperating.

There is an FZ under there somewhere if you look close enough.

IMG_20171013_121721-2080x1560.jpg

Edited by Spitfire
  • Like 1

Bought a wagon and trailer setup.  It's the pickup of Europe with the benefit of not having pickup mileage, handling and hugeness during daily driving.  I recommend this setup as long as the track isn't crazy far away in which I would probably get an enclosed trailer.  It's 2.5 hours away for me.

Track setup.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spitfire said:

My transport vehicle while on my quest for world domination. So far, no one is cooperating.

There is an FZ under there somewhere if you look close enough.

IMG_20171013_121721-2080x1560.jpg

I can't see the type of motorcycle carrier you have but I've thought about this one for some time now. Are you happy with yours? Is bike easy enough to load/unload with one person? What are your thoughts on the one in my link? Our bikes are 397 lbs. and this is rated for up to 500 lbs. so it should be safe, right? Most curious about how the weight on the back affects the steering/handling. A Toyota RAV4 would be similar to what you have. Maybe @botticelli would be interested as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadstar-Motorcycle-Scooter-Dirtbike-Anti-Tilt/dp/B072MN6QPF/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530626734&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=motorcycle+carrier+for+2011+toyota+RAV4

Beemer

1 hour ago, kbob2000 said:

Bought a wagon and trailer setup.  It's the pickup of Europe with the benefit of not having pickup mileage, handling and hugeness during daily driving.  I recommend this setup as long as the track isn't crazy far away in which I would probably get an enclosed trailer.  It's 2.5 hours away for me.

Track setup.jpg

I like that trailer, got a link for it? Can't tell what car that is, can't make out the emblem.

Beemer

firstyammerha

I used trailers in my early riding days but the hassle of hook up, storage,problems with things like fenders falling off and dragging on tires ruining them, lights failing, annual tag fees caused me to go the small pickup route. Usually carried two dirt bikes and the riding gear like fuel cans,tool boxes, lawn chairs,large coolers and so on required for a day long 100-200 mile round trip to the mx track. I did use one of those hitch ramp set ups for awhile when going solo and taking the Pinto to the race. Never had a problem with the hitch ramp. Mx  bike was only around 230 lbs.  I have a thing for the Golf wagon now but can't bring myself to pull the trigger. Mag reviews look good for it.

3 hours ago, Beemer said:

I like that trailer, got a link for it? Can't tell what car that is, can't make out the emblem.

Looks like they only sell them in the EU, unfortunately.  It's a Stema MT750, I paid about $600.00 for it used from a dealer.  I also throw a piece of plywood on it and use it as a utility trailer.  I hate driving trucks so it's not really an option to me.  It's built pretty solid and I don't think I'll put enough miles on it to need to do much in the way of maintenance.

My wagon is 2007 BMW 320D.  It paid about $5500 for it and it has a fuel range of about 620 miles.  Has a hidden hitch that pops out at the press of a button, it's probably my favorite feature, lol.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

Looks like they only sell them in the EU, unfortunately.  It's a Stema MT750, I paid about $600.00 for it used from a dealer.  I also throw a piece of plywood on it and use it as a utility trailer.  I hate driving trucks so it's not really an option to me.  It's built pretty solid and I don't think I'll put enough miles on it to need to do much in the way of maintenance.

My wagon is 2007 BMW 320D.  It paid about $5500 for it and it has a fuel range of about 620 miles.  Has a hidden hitch that pops out at the press of a button, it's probably my favorite feature, lol.  

I was wondering if it was a BMW, I like Beemers! That trailer does look pretty solid, it should last quite awhile.

• Like 1

Beemer

Beemer, 

Will start a separate thread with pic and answers when I get to an area with better cell coverage.

Edited by Spitfire

Been dreaming about a cargo van myself. Enough room for a bike and a cot and i'd be a very happy guy. I enjoy going down to deal's gap as much as I enjoy the track, and it's about a 5 hr drive for me. My current set up is a jeep wrangler with a small trailer, and then renting a room. but it's a hassle and a van would be amazing! I've owned the jeep for 11 years though and I'm pretty attached to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Awesome!

Thanks to all that have posted! Please keep it up!

Yeah the van is becoming very tempting. I want to do COTA and Laguna seca and so that means overnight travel. the bike and all the goodies can stay in the van while I'm at a hotel.

Then at the tracks I just sleep in it. .....

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member

One negative to trailers is that they seem to be easier to steal and a higher target than a van.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Have a look at Mercedes Vitos and VW Transporter. The Vitos are really big in the back for a reasonably small outer size. Turbo Diesels get very good fuel economy. Unlike a lot of vans the floor is not overly high off the ground.

Mercedes Sprinter is even bigger and higher.

Of course the US being the US , they are probably called something different from the rest of the world there.

Edited by gregjet

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch
On 7/4/2018 at 12:17 AM, c0al67 said:

Been dreaming about a cargo van myself. Enough room for a bike and a cot and i'd be a very happy guy. I enjoy going down to deal's gap as much as I enjoy the track, and it's about a 5 hr drive for me. My current set up is a jeep wrangler with a small trailer, and then renting a room. but it's a hassle and a van would be amazing! I've owned the jeep for 11 years though and I'm pretty attached to it

I was going to go this route. Looked at a few used hi-tops. Thought long/hard about it.

In the end, it was the lack of comfort, expense, and time that changed my mind. Those cargo vans are nice for hauling stuff, especially the hi-tops, but they are not cheap. And they are not comfortable- consider riding around in a tin can full of gas cans and motorbikes- the smell alone will drive you nuts, but its the noise that kills it.

I opted to keep my old truck, which I am very much attached-to, and pick up an intech explore trailer. Pricey, but it perfectly fits my needs and is very well built. GVW is 3300 lbs so easy to tow.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still get the intech explore, but I'd have had one built to order- I'd have left the slide-out kitchen drawer in place but left the stove/refer out and used that place to store a tool chest. Trailer brakes, AC, tip-out, two batwing awnings, and a propane tank (add mr heater propane heater) would be ideal. The stove/refer are ok but honestly a cooler and grill are fine for me.

The only real downside to the intech trailers is they are cockbait- every time I stop some dude wants to talk about it. At first its fun cause everyone loves a little attention now and then. But by the third time it becomes annoying.

-HowWorkClutch

• Global Moderator
On 7/16/2018 at 1:44 PM, gregjet said:

Have a look at Mercedes Vitos and VW Transporter. The Vitos are really big in the back for a reasonably small outer size. Turbo Diesels get very good fuel economy. Unlike a lot of vans the floor is not overly high off the ground.

Mercedes Sprinter is even bigger and higher.

Of course the US being the US , they are probably called something different from the rest of the world there.

neither are sold here in the US that i'm aware of.
we have the ford transit, nissan QV series and the Ram Promaster... as well as whatever mercedes is still making right now.
all have diesel options avail, and since i've got a soft spot for dodge/chrysler

i'd recommend the promaster city or the promaster 1500.  the city would give better mileage, the 1500 more cargo space. 
but again there are the other manufacturers. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

CLEAR!! *revives necro thread using Defibrillation paddles.*

Anyone using a Sprinter van that's normally used for cargo hauling during the week?

I'm looking to use a Sprinter, or other high roof euro style van as my preferred method of hauling a pair of bikes when needed but can still double as a "help your friends move/pickup plywood @ Home depot" utility vehicle when not on a road trip.

Sure would like some first hand knowledge to know how best to outfit the van for such dual duty before I make any buying mistakes. "Should I outfit it for cargo hauling from the factory or go aftermarket?" type questions.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

@DewMan... a fellow forum member at the T7 forum has a Sprinter van he lives/drives around in hauling his SuperTenere inside...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, norcal616 said:

@DewMan... a fellow forum member at the T7 forum has a Sprinter van he lives/drives around in hauling his SuperTenere inside...

I'll check that out. Thanks! Im looking for something a bit more utilitarian in scope if possible. I don't plan living out of my van even when on the road other than a possible nap at a rest stop if the need arises.✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

the forum member is PNWTEN

TBH- im kinda thinking it will be my next car in a few years... im also looking towards it being more of a daily driver(winter time and bad weather months) like my pickup truck currently is but its got a built in weekend camping abilities... instead of using my truck bed tent, etc...

im kinda following him to see how the van lives/fares lerm term past 100k miles...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
Just now, norcal616 said:

the forum member is PNWTEN

TBH- im kinda thinking it will be my next car in a few years... im also looking towards it being more of a daily driver(winter time and bad weather months) like my pickup truck currently is but its got a built in weekend camping abilities... instead of using my truck bed tent, etc...

im kinda following him to see how the van lives/fares lerm term past 100k miles...

Yep that's pretty much what I'm looking for also.. a pickup (Chevy 1500WT) replacement.👍

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.