The MT-07 Forum

Flashing Brake Light

mjh937

• Global Moderator

I was thinking one of those kits that modulates the brake light might be a good safety enhancement.  Does anyone have advice on whether they are worthwhile, and if so who makes the best one?  Also if they are worthwhile how hard are they to install?  Thanks.

• Premium Member

One thing I do like about this bike is the tail light is very bright and even brighter when you brake with the LED's. Flashing would be even better but again Yamaha got lots right as a starting point on this bike!

Guest ybcheese

I rolled up on a guy with one at night, no trouble seeing him. (Super Bright) I think its a good investment. I wondered if it was legal, it could be considered a distraction to other drivers.

• Global Moderator

I do not see why they would not be legal. You could make the light flash manually. Of course common sense and the law do not always equate :)

I saw one online once that was intelligent, where the first time you applied brakes it flashed six or seven times than if you applied brakes again in a short timeframe it flashed fewer times (to not be to annoying to the guy behind in traffic). I wish I could find it again. I think I want to get one.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered the 3rdbrakeflasher chip based on reviews and price. This will be a nice safety addition, I would like ithe brake light to flash a few times then pulse every now and then.

• Global Moderator

Let me know what you think after you have installed it. I still want to get one, but would rather someone else was the ginea pig :).

• Global Moderator

Let me know what you think after you have installed it. I still want to get one, but would rather someone else was the ginea pig :).

• 3 weeks later...

Had the signal dynamics modulator on two previous bikes. Had one fail just after the warranty expired so wasn't too happy about that. Plus you have to cut the factory wiring. I came across vizi-tec today and ordered one. It's a lot smaller than the signal dynamics one and has factory plugs so no wires have to be cut. It seems to be a nice unit but it is pricey. I also added the extra harness option to run an LED license plate frame. 

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I put a tailblazer by Kisan electronics on my Shadow. It worked for a very short time. I went on a ride with some friends and they informed me I had no tail OR brake light! I jiggled it and tried to get it to work but ended up putting the stock bulb back in. It's a great idea but I am not satisfied with it. Maybe I just got a dud unit.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I got flashers on my helmet ... it's built-in. Always on, slow flash, fast flash or can buy a kit ($30) to have it sync with the brake light. My son says its easy to see even in the day.

• Global Moderator

Coz, let us know how you like the vizi-tec unit. It looks really good from their website. If you like it I am going to buy one too. If you could take some photos during installation that would be great.

Coz, let us know how you like the vizi-tec unit. It looks really good from their website. If you like it I am going to buy one too. If you could take some photos during installation that would be great.
Will do. I read about the unit on a few other motorcycle forums and everyone seemed to be happy with it. Especially the Plug & Ride Installation. Might be a week or more before I get mine. Adding the extra harness option delays shipping by a few days. 

invertedmike

I invest in skene lights for my bikes. The P3 programmable set for the rear works very well. I feel invisible riding a bike without these LEDs flashing behind me when I brake. I use the amber Photon Blaster mounted on the forks also.

...and fantastic customer service and product support from Mr. Skene himself.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com

Received the Vizi-Tec unit. Very compact and seems to be well built. Extremely easy to install with the factory connectors. Only took about 5 minutes. I don't have it zip tied in place yet because I still need to connect the wiring for an LED license plate frame. The factory connector is below and towards the front left side of the rear seat. Actually kinda below the plastic piece in between the front and rear seat. I was able to get to it just by removing the rear seat. I used a small screwdriver to help release the factory connector. Don't have much else to say about it. It does what it's supposed to do. And shipping was fast also. I'd recommend it for sure over the kind that make you cut your wiring.

IMG_0195_zps64fafb90.jpg

IMG_0205_zps30f53356.jpg
IMG_0207_zpsaf01bdd1.jpg

• Global Moderator

Thanks coz. I am going to order one when I get home. I like not having to cut any wires.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

Just ordered the vizi-tec unit! Expensive but has a lot of options for set up! Thanks for the lead!

• 2 months later...

i bought custom led. from customled.com. it's a us company so even better. it was super easy just plug and play. integrated turn signal, and brake flash. super super bright. My friend got jealous and ordered a light for his gixxer, not custom led, and mine is so much brighter and he is salty.
It's honestly such a great product

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Gearbrake module. It has a built-in accelerometer that turns on the brake light when you're slowing down, not just when you apply the brake.

And it's plug and play, so no splicing.

• Global Moderator
I bought a Gearbrake module. It has a built-in accelerometer that turns on the brake light when you're slowing down, not just when you apply the brake. 
And it's plug and play, so no splicing.

How is it working? I had heard it was hard to find a place to mount the module as it has to be level. Did you have any trouble?

It's working great. I mounted it next to the seat release. It's pretty level there by the time I sit on the bike. Or at least not enough off to matter.

Archived