The MT-07 Forum

Warranty, break in and stuff.

Benh972

• Premium Member

So my first brand spanking new motorcycle is a 2017 FZ 07. I bought the bike on 3/29/18 and took delivery two days later on the 31st. I have NO REGRETS! but I probably could have done somethings better. I bought the bike while I was in the middle of moving from one house to another. That whole process was more time consuming and drug on a lot longer than expected. So, I have not been able to put the miles on her yet. As of right now I have 150 miles on the odometer. I called  my dealership on May 3rd and asked about having the break in service done. He did not want to do it because I only had around 100 miles on the clock at that point, he said I should have at least 300 miles before the break in service.

The service manual gives the interval as 600 miles or 1 month. He said they go by miles only  and my warranty will be ok. I just wanted to bounce this off some other owners and make sure I was not fed a line, since I prepaid for the maintenance he does not have the incentive to have me come in. Either way I am changing the oil tomorrow, myself to clean out the metal shavings. I  have been braking the engine in semi hard. Early on, I just wish I had been harder on the engine braking. My last bike had a slipper clutch, and I have been feeling out getting used to this bike. She behaves most of the time, but shes a beast when you ask right!

• Global Moderator

I did my first oil change at 600 miles and I am now just over 15,000 with no problems at all.  I know lots of guys do the first oil change earlier but I figured I would go by the book and I have no regrets. 

• Global Moderator

I forgot to add I agree that the one month is not a big deal.  If you had gone several months before reaching 600 miles I might think differently. 

stickshift

You may be doing your bike more damage by changing the oil.

Yamaha probably uses special break in oil, I would be wary changing it to regular oil before the engine is properly broken in.

Just sayin'.

• Premium Member
botticelli

Ride it!

At 600 bring it in. Modern bikes are amazing, the "break in" is more for you to take it easy and get used to the bike, rather than protecting the motor. These motors are pretty bomb proof.

I flogged the shet of of mine, wheelied it out of the dealership, first iol change at 600, every 4k after that. By the book.

I have ~80k on this one and another 40k on "my wife's" with the same break in procedure.

You'll be fine

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member
botticelli
15 minutes ago, stickshift said:

You may be doing your bike more damage by changing the oil.

Yamaha probably uses special break in oil, I would be wary changing it to regular oil before the engine is properly broken in.

Just sayin'.

Most bikes are shipped from Yamaha dry in a crate, the dealer assembles the bike and puts fluids in. Yamalube is typically used.

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member
norcal616

dumped the first oil and filter at first 100miles of riding it like I stole it... then again at 600 and 1000... then every 2500-3000 depending on shift feeling...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

stickshift

Most moto factories run  up new bikes on a dyno before shipping them. There's little point shipping a bike half way around the world if it's missing a critical engine part.

This article and pic implies that all Yamaha bikes are started in their factory.

http://japan.webike.net/moto_news/manufacturing-that-produces-memorable-experiences-yamaha-factory-tour/

131220-1-102-.jpg

3 hours ago, botticelli said:

Most bikes are shipped from Yamaha dry in a crate, the dealer assembles the bike and puts fluids in. Yamalube is typically used.

USA Yamaha motorcycles come out of the shipping crate with oil and coolant in the engine.

The guy doing the assembly or pre-delivery work is supposed to double-check it.

• Premium Member

Hah! what's hilarious is I am all worried about the warranty and what have you, and then I wrecked hours after I posted this message. We both live, shes got 175 miles on her now, the rear fender is fubar, gear shifter is a bit bent, kickstand and the rear axle nut thing are rashed, left side engine cover is ground down on one of the protrusions enough that she is leaking oil. Rear plastic has a crack, tail light cover is busted. Really though she still looks pretty good! Oh well, now its MY bike for reals lol. I skinned up my left knee a bit, and got a knot on my knee that hurts, but it will get better. 

She actually went down twice, after the wreck I picked her up and I was trying to start her, but I passed out and dropped her again. I remember trying to see if she would start, the next thing I know I am waking up and thinking I dreamed  I wrecked my bike. Then I realize I am in the street and there she is down on the ground.  Police and an ambulance showed up, the paramedics think I passed out because of my mental shock, and because I had not eaten for over 8 hours. I also had been moving heavy furniture shortly before the wreck, and I was not staying hydrated. 

DIY Fender Eliminator.jpg

Oil Change the hard way.jpg

Glamor shot.jpg

30 minutes ago, Benh972 said:

Hah! what's hilarious is I am all worried about the warranty and what have you, and then I wrecked hours after I posted this message. We both live, shes got 175 miles on her now, the rear fender is fubar, gear shifter is a bit bent, kickstand and the rear axle nut thing are rashed, left side engine cover is ground down on one of the protrusions enough that she is leaking oil. Rear plastic has a crack, tail light cover is busted. Really though she still looks pretty good! Oh well, now its MY bike for reals lol. I skinned up my left knee a bit, and got a knot on my knee that hurts, but it will get better. 

She actually went down twice, after the wreck I picked her up and I was trying to start her, but I passed out and dropped her again. I remember trying to see if she would start, the next thing I know I am waking up and thinking I dreamed  I wrecked my bike. Then I realize I am in the street and there she is down on the ground.  Police and an ambulance showed up, the paramedics think I passed out because of my mental shock, and because I had not eaten for over 8 hours. I also had been moving heavy furniture shortly before the wreck, and I was not staying hydrated. 

Glad you're alright. I went too long like that w/o eating/drinking, got dehydrated and passed out while driving the car but I felt it coming on and stopped the car real quick, shut off the engine and put on the parking brake just before everything went black. Just be sure and at least stuff a cookie or something in your face before you hit the door in the morning and chug a big glass of water and it shouldn't happen again. Hasn't happened to me since.

Mental note to self: Order engine guard.

Beemer

• Premium Member
On 5/9/2018 at 8:09 AM, Beemer said:

Glad you're alright. I went too long like that w/o eating/drinking, got dehydrated and passed out while driving the car but I felt it coming on and stopped the car real quick, shut off the engine and put on the parking brake just before everything went black. Just be sure and at least stuff a cookie or something in your face before you hit the door in the morning and chug a big glass of water and it shouldn't happen again. Hasn't happened to me since.

Mental note to self: Order engine guard.

Thanks man. Yeah order the engine guard for sure. I've seen pics of other FZ 07s with scratches on the engines. Mine is ground down. I have frame sliders, that I had not installed yet. The engine guards would have been a better purchase though.

6 hours ago, Benh972 said:

Thanks man. Yeah order the engine guard for sure. I've seen pics of other FZ 07s with scratches on the engines. Mine is ground down. I have frame sliders, that I had not installed yet. The engine guards would have been a better purchase though.

Were you wearing safety gear at the time. It seems the bike took on way more damage than you did. Oh yeah, ice pack that sucker!

Beemer

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Beemer said:

Were you wearing safety gear at the time. It seems the bike took on way more damage than you did. Oh yeah, ice pack that sucker!

Yes, I had on a helmet, gloves, mesh armored jacket, and riding boots. My left boot took some nasty damage for me. The weak point was I was wearing normal Lee jeans, but they did not even hardly rip. The abrasions are nothing, I've done far worse on a bicycle in my youth. The impact hit is what hurt. Some knee pads would have helped. 

Archived