The MT-07 Forum

SC Project Black Exhaust

OttawaFZ-07

OttawaFZ-07

I just ordered the SC Project black conic exhaust. I'm also ordering the EJK controller. On the EJK website, it has a map for that particular exhaust but mentions "snorkel removed" and "02 sensor disconnected".

Is this what's recommended, to remove the snorkel and leave the 02 sensor disconnected?

I'll do a search on how to remove the snorkel, shouldn't be that hard.

What about the 02 sensor, once disconnected, is the wire completely removed or does it have to be zip-tied to the bike somewhere?

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

• Global Moderator

The snorkel removal is easy.  You can do it by just removing the seat and reaching forward. There is a tab on each side that you need to pull up (they just sit on a plastic pin molded to the airbox lid) and then the snorkel will come free.  I think this photo probaby explains it best.  I have no knowledge about the O2 sensor removal but I am sure someone else will post about it.  

937F73CB-FE9C-4D4D-A096-2D626067AFFD.jpeg

When removing the stock O2 sensor it is just that, removing it from the bike completely. Removing it from the pipe and (you may need to source an O2 block off plug or short bolt with the same threads to plug the bung) unless the exhaust you bought does not have a stock O2 bung, and disconnecting the wires from the connector on the bike. You should not get any engine codes on the dash when you remove the O2 sensor. Just tape up the bare connector on the bike with electrical tape to keep moisture out and you're set.

OttawaFZ-07

Thanks so much guys for the info. Ordered both parts, can't wait to receive them. :)

Hold the horses! I don't remember the gentleman's name that I talked to at Dobeck but he told me that leaving the 02 sensor in the bung-hole did not affect the performance because the EJK controller over rides the 02 sensor after idle, from like 1200 rpm on. That's what I did and my bike runs fine. Call Dobeck and ask them for yourself to be sure. Who knows, maybe it's different for your pipe but I can't think of a reason it would be.

http://www.dobeckperformance.com/

Beemer

OttawaFZ-07

I've asked Dobeck and here is their explanation:

The O2 sensor does need to be disconnected with the EJK installed. 

With the O2 sensor connected, the EJK would still increase fuel but the O2 sensor sees the added fuel and pulls it right back out. 

The O2 sensor is only their to regulate fueling to meet emissions and make the stock catalytic converter work efficiently, it is not necessary for adjusting for elevation or anything that you usually hear.

If you wanted to maintain an emissions compliant bike, you could leave the O2 sensor connected, but you should set the green adjustment mode to the 0% fuel change setting to not conflict with the O2 function.

The bike will also not run as well and you will likely get decel popping and hard engine breaking. 

To elaborate a little bit more on their explanation, the stock O2 operates in one of two modes open loop and closed loop. Open loop mode is when you are varying throttle positions and idling in which the ECU runs off of a certain fuel table (not taking readings from the O2). Open loop is where a fuel controller IE (EJK, PCV, and others) can make adjustments on top of that table while not physically changing it within the ECU which is why most fuel controllers are piggyback style with their own harness attached to the controller as it reads the signal output from the ECU then modifies it before it gets to say your injectors or coil packs for adding fuel or timing. Closed loop is when you are at a constant throttle position and RPM while cruising. In closed loop the O2 begins taking readings of exhaust gasses. Stock O2 sensors are narrow band so it only tells the ECU rich or lean not an exact AFR value and the ECU will accommodate that rich or lean signal by running the bike in the efficient fueling map that targets an actual AFR of around 14.7 or so for fuel mileage and pollution regulations. There are no fuel controllers on the market that can touch fueling adjustments in closed loop the ECU will not allow it "unless...." you remove the O2 sensor. By removing the O2 sensor you are simply eliminating the ECU's ability to operate in closed loop mode and allowing the aftermarket fuel controller to modify the fueling all the time whether you are cruising or hard on the throttle.

Archived