The MT-07 Forum

2015 full race akro

Postoner

So I installed a full carbon fibre akro race exhaust along with a k&n filter on the my bike; I wanted to know if I have to do a ecu flash and tune to the bike or can I get away with doing nothing. The bike runs fine the way it is at the moment. I know if I do flash tune the bike I’ll gain some power but paying 600 bucks Canadian for only 7 horsepower is a lil steep. What are your guys thoughts. 

Thanks in advance. 

mick97702

Exhaust only you'd probably be good. But adding the air filter changes everything. You're too lean with that setup.

• Global Moderator

The flash makes the bike so much better.  Smother power delivery and less engine braking to name but two improvements.  I have a stock exhaust and the snorkel removed and it was a great upgrade.  The horsepower gain is just gravy. 

I got the Akra c.f. pipe, K&N filter, unsnorkeled and a Dobeck EJK controller to make things right and it did a pretty good job but looking back on it now I would rather have an ECU flash by 2wheeldynoworks because it does what the EJK does and a lot more for the money.

Side note: It's just my personal opinion but I'm not too crazy about my K&N filter as far as the prepping goes. I found it messy and time consuming when it doesn't really provide enough more protection (if it truly does do that) to warrant the hassle to work with it. Have you had to wash and put the oil in the filter yet?

Beemer

No I just installed the full exhaust and the filter. I’m going to Ecu flash tune the bike. Do you know how much hp gains I can get from this? I also want them to eliminate the throttle lag and also thinking about toning down the engine braking. Do you think these are a good idea? 

I'm not sure about h.p. gains, I get the sense it's more about tweaking things to make them perform their best and eliminate some undesirable things, like throttle lag, sticky throttle, engine cut off, (which addresses engine braking) decel popping, etc, etc. All those things are a good idea, IMO and apparently most others. Some like that wild buck feeling.

Beemer

First if you actually got 7hp increase from adding an exhaust for $600 it would be a bargin. A 10% increase for a bolt on would be seriously cheap.

What you do get is:

Possibly a few HP increase.

Lighter weight, which equals faster acc. and improved handling once the reflash is done.

MUCH more controllable power delivery so you can use your throttle better ( especially out of corners).

Less engine braking ( for some a good thing ie me for others not as desirable) though it can be left stock or other mods during the flash.

Better torque and HP at lower revs as well as at peak.

DElimited top speed in certain gears.

In my case I also got BETTER fuel economy despite a richer mixture. This is not an uncommon result in motors that are super lean stock.

Nicer sound if that is important, though louder.

Some have reported less engine vibration at certain revs.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 5/14/2018 at 6:29 AM, Beemer said:

Just keep in mind you get more than just more h.p. for your money.

Yup, you get a box, instructions and bleeding knuckles installing it sometimes. 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

14 hours ago, r1limited said:

Yup, you get a box, instructions and bleeding knuckles installing it sometimes. 

You get that installing the ECU?

Beemer

" bleeding knuckles installing it sometimes. "

r1, I told you not to walk like that in the garage. Keep you knuckle walking for the carpeted areas.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived