The MT-07 Forum

The ol old helmet debate

r1limited

@faffi

HJC RHPA 11 Pro I tell you what :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

@faffi why do you dislike the quicklocks? I'm still waiting on my AGV K5 to show up, but I was disappointed not to get a ratchet on that lid. 

@faffi

HJC RHPA 11 Pro I tell you what :)

How does it differ from the RHPA 10? My son has a 10, and it isn't comfy for glasses nor for loud speakers, and the interior is quite hard and uninviting, not unlike Shoeis. The 10 is also too narrow and long for my rounder skull.

3 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

@faffi why do you dislike the quicklocks? I'm still waiting on my AGV K5 to show up, but I was disappointed not to get a ratchet on that lid. 

I dislike them for their bulk that put pressure on my neck, and that they cannot be infinitely adjusted in a convenient manner. I sometimes wear a scarf, sometimes not, sometimes a thin neck-roll, sometimes a thick one. I want to be able to adjust my strap perfectly every time I don my helmet. Double D-rings are the only ones offering that as far as I am aware. 

1 hour ago, faffi said:

How does it differ from the RHPA 10? My son has a 10, and it isn't comfy for glasses nor for loud speakers, and the interior is quite hard and uninviting, not unlike Shoeis. The 10 is also too narrow and long for my rounder skull.

I did not wear the 10 nor even tried an HJC until the RHPA.  But this guy has a lot to say about glasses I had no isses with glass fit and I dont wear a home theater in my lid.  Personally I like the snug fit

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

But if your head fits the K3, chances are overwhelming that the RPHA 11 is similar to both the AGV and the HJC "10", and neither of the latter two suits me very well. Not bad helmets, just shaped for a different noggin than mine.

1 hour ago, faffi said:

But if your head fits the K3, chances are overwhelming that the RPHA 11 is similar to both the AGV and the HJC "10", and neither of the latter two suits me very well. Not bad helmets, just shaped for a different noggin than mine.

Did you not watch the Video?  Clearly the design of the 11 is more intermediat oval meaning squished in the ears longated front to back.  It did not fit nor feel close to the K3

Well, revzilla list both as the same overall shape; "neutral" between narrow and round. I need a fairly round shape.

Faffi, Check out Xlite helmets for glasses fit. Only one I found I could fit my glasses in and they stay reasonably still when I was racing, without leaving indents in my temples. Top vision in a full tuck is a little tight , but that's not your problem anyway. Fits my wierd semi-Russian head very well.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Thanks for the tip, I will check them out. Fortnine also recommend a couple of Arais in one of his videos for wearers of glasses.

9 hours ago, faffi said:

I dislike them for their bulk that put pressure on my neck, and that they cannot be infinitely adjusted in a convenient manner. I sometimes wear a scarf, sometimes not, sometimes a thin neck-roll, sometimes a thick one. I want to be able to adjust my strap perfectly every time I don my helmet. Double D-rings are the only ones offering that as far as I am aware. 

That's funny, because those are exactly the same reasons I prefer a ratchet over d rings. I find d rings end up putting a "set" in my chinstrap , then it always wants to adjust to that exact same spot. I adjust my ratchets one time when I first get the helmet to full depth of the ratchet, then never touch it again. If I'm wearing a balaclava or a scarf, I just don't click it in as far. I'm picky about my strap adjustment, too. 

My biggest complaints with d rings are the ones with a short strap that force you to completely unthread the strap from the rings every time. Grrr....

Then again, there's always these :D Snell tested and approved FWIW

https://xtremehelmets.com/echo-helmet-quick-release/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120&gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZg-JbBUKwSgU8LzJgXlm61YgBRmmP-gtPpBUvyt42EOdPMaRa1fxxkaAoaSEALw_wcB

Oh Man Snell tested and approved, man there ya go right there 😋

12 hours ago, Cruizin said:

As a reminder, here is a link to nothing but a ton of good helmets that are all on sale

https://www.revzilla.com/closeout-motorcycle-helmets  Take your pick, all of these are on sale. From cheap to expensive. 

Remember Close outs mean 1 year old helmets at least maybe 6 months to 1 year old helmets.  so you will lose that time of OEM Warranty

faffi, if the AGV Rossi fitted, I wonder if an AGV K5 might. My new one has room for specs, and a cavern for speakers. In fact the 'cavern'  leaves me with wind noise but old and new K5 is same fit. I wanted a clip closure but have got used to the D-rings. 

Just do it! 

The Rossi was also too narrow, so I wore one size too big (which I just learned - the helmet had too little support back-forth and would always sit very low over by brow). 

Oh, and I always undo my strap completely and do not mind threading it every time. I've seen some racers threading it with one hand wearing a glove 😱 That is something I cannot replicate; two hands and no gloves for me. Never had a strap develop a crease or favourite spot, though - maybe I vary often enough to prevent that?

2 hours ago, r1limited said:

Remember Close outs mean 1 year old helmets at least maybe 6 months to 1 year old helmets.  so you will lose that time of OEM Warranty

I don't care much about that. I have never once returned a helmet for warranty since I started riding in 1981. I post those links to entice people to upgrade their safety gear. 

5 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I don't care much about that. I have never once returned a helmet for warranty since I started riding in 1981. I post those links to entice people to upgrade their safety gear. 

I get it, but defacts happen, so the strap snaps and you have to send it in you had it 4 years, but the date stamp is 5 years.  for a $20 item, you now have to buy a new lid.  I look at economics as well.

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

I get it, but defacts happen, so the strap snaps and you have to send it in you had it 4 years, but the date stamp is 5 years.  for a $20 item, you now have to buy a new lid.  I look at economics as well.

I have replaced straps without buying a new helmet. They sell accessories, well most helmet companies do. Revzilla is also a great help in those matters. 

35 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I have replaced straps without buying a new helmet. They sell accessories, well most helmet companies do. Revzilla is also a great help in those matters. 

ARIA, Bell, AGV you send them in to a authorized service center.  Revzilla <-- Gartuitus Link ;)

Archived