The MT-07 Forum

Sport Tour Tire reviews

rick

Guess nothing new here, but it's nice to see a big list of choices in one spot and road tests to go with  http://www.motorcycle.com/features/sport-touring-tire-buyers-guide-2.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Motorcycle.com_new-content-unsold&utm_source=Motorcycle.com20180427

The Pirelli Angel GT review caught my attention - page down about halfway to see a monster stoppie done in inches of water. http://www.motorcycle.com/products/pirelli-angel-gt-review-91564.html  

btw, the GT is a replacement for the ST version and not just a tire meant for heavier bikes.  

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, rick said:

btw, the GT is a replacement for the ST version and not just a tire meant for heavier bikes.

Yip, I get that now. Either Way I put the ST's on my bike about 400 miles ago 75% twisties 25% town and highway and I'm impressed with the behaviour of this tyre front and back. I don't do much touring or wet weather riding,but I'm thinking of taking a few small trips 3-4 day excursions. I read reviews and the ST's seemed to fit what I wanted from a tyre.

Thanks for the links.

I am not sure what direction I will go actually.  One thought is trusted Dunlop Q3's but the lacking suspension would be a waste of bucks for the FZ for me.  So me thinks if I get new booties this season I will go with Dunlp RSIIIs just because I like dunlop

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

over in the FJ-09 forum... the Aussies love the Pirelli GT tire as well as the the UK forum members say when they arnt so elusive...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I've put the Michelin Road 5 at the top of my list for when I'm ready for new skins. Just wish they weren't ~$350  per set.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Metzeler has a 50/set rebate going on for the next month. They are very similar to Pirelli.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, pattonme said:

Metzeler has a 50/set rebate going on for the next month. They are very similar to Pirelli.

So does Pirelli, my $50 rebate is in process, $50/set. So far the ST’s are like glue compared to the PR3’s that came on the bike when i bought it. Id venture a guess my brain is playing games with me, but the proof is in the confidence they give me, nice and fleshy carcass with huge sipes, this weekend im doing a trip from Bentonville,AR- Eureka springs down AR-23 - Ozark-Bentonville. All mountain twisties to Ozark then interstating it home. I’m going to run recommended PSI front and rear!!! Well that’s the plan for now. BTW I think Michelin are the only tyre company not doing rebates right now, most finish in May I don’t know the date in May.

5 hours ago, fzar said:

So does Pirelli, my $50 rebate is in process, $50/set. So far the ST’s are like glue compared to the PR3’s that came on the bike when i bought it. Id venture a guess my brain is playing games with me, but the proof is in the confidence they give me, nice and fleshy carcass with huge sipes, this weekend im doing a trip from Bentonville,AR- Eureka springs down AR-23 - Ozark-Bentonville. All mountain twisties to Ozark then interstating it home. I’m going to run recommended PSI front and rear!!! Well that’s the plan for now. BTW I think Michelin are the only tyre company not doing rebates right now, most finish in May I don’t know the date in May.

Really wished I was a rider back when I lived in Bentonville.  Fantastic roads around there.  Enjoy.

I just hope the guys who've just started riding in the last few years know how good they have it with the quality of tires to choose from compared to the rubber doughnuts available when I started out.  

The Angel STs were a favorite of Futura guys when they 1st came out, so I'd not be concerned. . 

I don't think any one of those tires would be a bad choice. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

Really wished I was a rider back when I lived in Bentonville.  Fantastic roads around there.  Enjoy.

There are fantastic roads here, I couldn't tell you how well suited the FZ-07 is to the landscape and roads around here. I have a couple of runs right from my door that are about an hour long then I get to a junction and any direction I take from there is a different scenario- all good BTW. 

When did you live in Bentonville? 

1 hour ago, fzar said:

There are fantastic roads here, I couldn't tell you how well suited the FZ-07 is to the landscape and roads around here. I have a couple of runs right from my door that are about an hour long then I get to a junction and any direction I take from there is a different scenario- all good BTW. 

When did you live in Bentonville? 

I lived in some Lindsey apartments for a few years near warehouse 6008 where I worked.  I can't remember much else, it's been 13 years, I started riding right after I left and then I lived in Florida which sucked for riding.  Now I live in Germany and have a ton a great roads all around, lots of good choices even for short rides.  

• Premium Member

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/continental-contiroad-attack-3-motocycle-tire-review

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/dunlop-sportmax-roadsmart-iii-tire-review

I read these 2 articles when i went to buy new tires... changed from Angel GT to the ContiRoad Attack 3. Single compound is nice, they feel more planted than the Angel GT's but it's all so subjective who knows. They were cheaper than the Michelin PR4's and the 5's weren't out at the time. I like the tread pattern too, I think they look pretty good. It's been about 3,000 miles with very little wear and only slight flattening in the center... I think they'll last longer than the Angel GT set.

image.png.487e98c4ac97bfec834139b5c11d128a.png

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

I raced a set of these and had real trouble on the track that MAY also transfer to the road. No matter the temp nor the pressure, every now and again the rear would chatter under heavy braking very badly on one corner of a track ( a hairpin at the end of a very fast straight).  Changed tyres ( Bridgestone BT003R) and it didn't do it, so it was specific to a set of conditions. That was on an ER6N with 160's on it. The huge size of the rear on this bike may either make it worse or reduce the problem, but you get no warning. All of a sudden the rear just starts complaining very badly. Keep an eye and experiment. The fronts were faultless.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 28/04/2018 at 7:46 AM, DewMan said:

I've put the Michelin Road 5 at the top of my list for when I'm ready for new skins. Just wish they weren't ~$350  per set.

Same here. So far have 23,500 km on the PR3's (with plenty tread left) so as long as they're not worse they should be great

• Premium Member

The pilot road 3's are fantastic as are the Michelin Road 5 but not worth the extra $ over the 3's IMO.

If your commuting or not spending too much time on the edges of the tires, get the PR3's.

I like the Power RS's and Q3's for the twisty, but they do not last long at all.

~Pete

'16 FZ07

Anget GT has good grip and feel, rear lasted 11.000 KM in my previous Versys 650 - I expected more although I have a heavy hand and always riding in twisties which require constant brake and acceleration.

MT07 is fitted with a Road 2 now.

Archived