The MT-07 Forum

First Bike First week with it

Hellbound

• Premium Member

First Motorcycle I have ever owned. Thanks to this message board and a lot of Video's online I bought me a 2017 fz and love the heck out of it! Now if it will quit hitting me in the pocketbook with add ons and such that would be great.  

• Global Moderator

I have had my bike for almost four years and I am still spending money on it.  It never seems to end, but it is a lot of fun.  I do think I am done with all the upgrades but time will tell.  

• Premium Member

welcome to the club... We (the forum) hope that you spent a little $ in the suspension dept... its probably the only thing that really makes a night and day difference... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I agree 100% about the suspension.  I think the next best mod I did was the ECU flash.  

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Of all the mods I made to my bike, the suspension mods (Matris F15K cartridges in forks and Nitron R1 rear shock) were the most expensive, but well worth it to me. Have fun making those mods.

• Premium Member

Thanks yeah suspension is on the books for an upgrade at some point down the line. Being only about 160 lbs soaking wet I don't feel I need to upgrade it too quick but have been looking into it

• Global Moderator
12 minutes ago, Eastern Kayaker said:

Of all the mods I made to my bike, the suspension mods (Matris F15K cartridges in forks and Nitron R1 rear shock) were the most expensive, but well worth it to me. Have fun making those mods.

I have the R1 and am waiting on my forks to come back with the F15K.  I was amazed what a difference just the shock made.  I cannot wait for the forks.  

• Premium Member

im also a 160 wet... pattonme fork cartridge and a k-tech basic rear shock.. 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have spent little on mine: crash bungs and rad cover, and extra seat padding. That's it. Even so, it goes like stink and gives me a wide smile, and a load of fun.

Just do it! 

Another one for the suspension ( huge difference) but I will add , especially for the beginner rider, an ECU reflash will give you a more controllable smoother throttle response. In Australia it is sold under the beginner LAMS designation ( the MT is detuned and limited with a slightly smaller displacement and compression ratio. The full power version has a HO suffix)), but the lack of controllability of the throttle due to fuelling issues makes it unsuitable for a beginner , as far as I am concerned. The reflash fixes the problem entirely.

Reflashed and resuspended it is one of the great motorcycles ( and I've had a few). You will be comparing subsequent motorcycles to the 07.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On 4/25/2018 at 6:22 PM, Hellbound said:

Thanks yeah suspension is on the books for an upgrade at some point down the line. Being only about 160 lbs soaking wet I don't feel I need to upgrade it too quick but have been looking into it

At your weight and this being your first bike, you can adjust the rear spring rate and play with oil weight and amount for the front.  BUt ask a Suspenders guy for more input.  Flashing it will make one fun bike a HeckOfAlotMore fun bike for you.

What @gregjet said too

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

welcome to the party, keep the rubber side down!

'16 FZ07

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yoeh, first motorcycle. Get a good riders course and the Twist of the wrist videos and book.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 5:16 PM, gregjet said:

Another one for the suspension ( huge difference) but I will add , especially for the beginner rider, an ECU reflash will give you a more controllable smoother throttle response. In Australia it is sold under the beginner LAMS designation ( the MT is detuned and limited with a slightly smaller displacement and compression ratio. The full power version has a HO suffix)), but the lack of controllability of the throttle due to fuelling issues makes it unsuitable for a beginner , as far as I am concerned. The reflash fixes the problem entirely.

Reflashed and resuspended it is one of the great motorcycles ( and I've had a few). You will be comparing subsequent motorcycles to the 07.

I would go so far as to say the stock throttle response for a beginner could be considered a safety issue itself. Twitchy throttle + gobs of torque could spell disaster if a person weren't careful.

Beemer

Archived