The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 snorkel removal concerns

Ryedadee

Greetings,

I just recently cut the shaft of the snorkel which sits pretty much in the center of the filter. I've since read that people are removing the whole snorkel including the 90 degree portion or even going as far as removing the cover itself and letting the air filter screw hold it in place. 

If you remove the 90 degree intake portion are there any concerns of water getting in there during rides in the rain or washing the bike?

If not then the whole thing must go! haha

Thanks

You'll be fine with the whole snorkel removed in terms of water concerns.

All of the aftermarket air filters (K&N, DNA, Hordpower, etc.) run without the snorkel.

You do, however, need to adjust your fuel map to account for the increased air flow or you'll risk running too lean. You can do that via a Dyno tune at your local shop, Power Commander or flashing your ECU through 2WDW.

Edited by Duke
Spelling and formatting
  • Like 1

You do you and I'll do me.

Mine is completely removed but I did put a piece of wire mesh screen over it to keep any large debris or critters out of it.

• Like 2

Beemer

• Premium Member

I had the same concerns a while ago before I removed my snorkel and OEM lid in favor a minimal 3D printed lid alone - you don't have to worry about water infiltration, the airbox has a drain that collects any water when the bike is on it's sidestand - the "air filter check hose". Make sure you open that and drain whatever's in there maybe once every 2-4 weeks.

You're right, water may pool in the bottom of the filter for a moment in a heavy downpour but droplets will be sucked through the filter as vapor and through the intakes or collect at the bottom of the airbox for later drainage or evaporation. Neither are a big deal.

Keep in mind removal of the snorkel may be less efficient than you may think, the airbox is designed to use the snorkel for smooth airflow. Sure sounds bitchin' though... Worth it IMO

As Beemer pointed out, a screen is a good idea if your bike sits for a time to prevent infestation.

Edited by noodles

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

AlbatrossCafe
4 hours ago, Duke said:

All of the aftermarket air filters (K&N, DNA, Hordpower, etc.) run without the snorkel.

Not necessarily true. I put a K&N filter replacement in my bike 2 years ago and the snorkel fit right over it. It is the same shape as OEM. If you said "aftermarket air boxes" then I think your statement becomes more accurate.

1 hour ago, noodles said:

Sure sounds bitchin' though... Worth it IMO

Is the difference with it out vs. in that significant?

I know that after I added a snorkel to my truck I enjoyed listening to the intake, but that was right by my ear outside the driver's window. I can't imagine that you can hear the intake noise on an FZ when the intake is between your legs.

Wq6MmUD.jpg?1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

I noticed it immediately during throttle roll on... Nice deep intake roar with the stock exhaust. With an aftermarket exhaust it adds a note you can hear.. I mean the intake is right at your crotch and it's pointing at the bottom of your helmet after all!

• Haha 1

Yeah, the intake noise is easily audible. Not annoying in any way, but I was surprised how much I could hear it. Unfortunately, it just gives me one more reason to yank on the throttle that I did not need. 

I can't imagine any other reason than muffling is why the snorkel is there anyway. Lots of modern vehicles do this. 

Edited by shinyribs

• Global Moderator

I do not hear the intake nose when wearing earplugs.  It is very audible without them though. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I can't imagine any other reason than muffling is why the snorkel is there anyway. Lots of modern vehicles do this. 

https://www.brighthubengineering.com/machine-design/84316-how-intake-resonators-improve-volumetric-efficiency/

Might use resonance to maintain smooth airflow while lowering noise due to longer intake distance - and the area of the snorkel's intake still matches or exceeds the area of the throttle bodies, or so I read somewhere ...

7 hours ago, Duke said:

You'll be fine with the whole snorkel removed in terms of water concerns.

You do, however, need to adjust your fuel map to account for the increased air flow or you'll risk running too lean. You can do that via a Dyno tune at your local shop, Power Commander or flashing your ECU through 2WDW.

Thanks everyone for the input. I installed an FTecu the other day which lead me to cut the snorkel at the same time. Flashed it with the PC "stock exhaust snorkel removed" file as well as lowered the fan temp and disable fuel cut. I can't say that I can hear any difference in sound but the bike is a lot nicer to ride. Nice to be able to roll up to a light, drop down a gear and feel the bike slow down naturally. 

Exhaust just arrived so will throw that on see how she goes/sounds then flash with the appropriate file. It's gonna be a good day and a great test to see if the FT makes that much of a difference. 

• Like 2

Cut the snorkel base or removed it completely from the lid?

When it's removed the intake noise is noticeably louder.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

I can't imagine that you can hear the intake noise on an FZ when the intake is between your legs.

Ohh yeah, you can hear it significantly over snorkel in, with a 2WDW flash in my case it breathes heavy.

• 1 year later...

Would a stock bike run OKAY if I removed the snorkel and lid temporarily by itself until i get exhaust and ecu flash??

If I'm not mistaken, the lid holds the filter in place, and you cannot simply remove it.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:32 PM, AlbatrossCafe said:

Not necessarily true. I put a K&N filter replacement in my bike 2 years ago and the snorkel fit right over it. It is the same shape as OEM. If you said "aftermarket air boxes" then I think your statement becomes more accurate.

I know that after I added a snorkel to my truck I enjoyed listening to the intake, but that was right by my ear outside the driver's window. I can't imagine that you can hear the intake noise on an FZ when the intake is between your legs.

Wq6MmUD.jpg?1

Oh yes you can.  You can hear intake noise quite well.  I pulled the lid off of my KLX650, rode it a half block turned around and put it back on.  Way to loud and irritating - to me.

• Like 1