The MT-07 Forum

New MT07 Owner

Wintersdark

Wintersdark

Just ordered a new 2018 MT-07 (Intensity White) - it'll be a couple weeks before it arrives, so I'm taking this time checking out the related forums.

I've been riding for 25 years, pretty much every day there's no ice/snow.  My previous rides (the fact that they're all 1982's is entirely coincidental):

'82 Kawasaki 440ltd

'82 CB900C

'82 HD Ironhead Sportster

'82 XJ750 (current bike) 

So this MT07 is my first actually new bike, and I am incredibly excited to get it.  While I've bought bikes that I hadn't ridden first before (the Sportster came in boxes of parts, and the XJ was a travesty of neglect) this is a pretty huge investment (at least, by my standards!) done blindly.  So, I'll admit, I'm a bit nervous.  However, I've pretty much never seen a bike so well reviewed either, and they're so, so sexy.

Welcome, and congrats!

I have a very big soft spot for all things CB, and I dig Ironhead's, too!  As much as I love older bikes, the 07 just blows them away in every respect. You are gonna fall in love. 

The 07 was also my first brand new bike. Worth every penny. Zero regrets. The more I ride it the more I love it. 

Wintersdark

I'm really excited for what's basically comparable power (though wildly different powerband) to my current XJ750 but in a vastly lighter and better designed package, with the benefit of 35 years of motorcycle engineering advancements.  It'll be nice to have a ride that I don't need to spend as much time wrenching on as I do riding, too.  Part of the reason [err, excuse I gave, anyways] for buying the new MT07 is to get warranty coverage for anything significant, and have something solid, reliable, and not mangled by Previous Owner Shenanigans.  Something I can do normal maintenance on, but otherwise just hop on and ride without worry.

Hopefully, it'll free up wrench time to play with the disassembled Seca in my basement :)

You do know that it's not an '82 ...don't you.

You probably should have bought a Yamaha RD350LC...

But if you are going to break the mold you picked a goodie to do it with. Trawl the forum. There is plenty you need to know that aren't just mangling, and this is a very good forum to find out what.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Welcome! Like you, my 2018 MT07 was my first ever brand new purchase, and I had only sat on one once before, never ridden one, and I love it. Such an easy bike to handle, engine braking takes a bit of getting used to but you'll get the hang of it. 

If you have haven't read in this forum yet, the ECU reflash will take the edge right off the engine braking ( as well as a heap of other improvements).

First of all, pics or it didn't happen (when you get it), ha! 2nd, this bike can make you feel 25 years younger it's so playful and eager to go. You won't be disappointed.

Beemer

Wintersdark
On 4/21/2018 at 11:05 PM, 208MT07 said:

Welcome! Like you, my 2018 MT07 was my first ever brand new purchase, and I had only sat on one once before, never ridden one, and I love it. Such an easy bike to handle, engine braking takes a bit of getting used to but you'll get the hang of it. 

Yeah, I've read about the engine braking due to a full fuel cutoff when off the throttle - I'll likely grab a ftecu kit and "correct" that.  Mind you, my 750 engine brakes pretty hard and is pretty jumpy when you start giving it throttle, so I'm used to keeping minimal throttle to avoid that.  

I'd read a lot about the MT07 and it's primary competition (the Z800 and SV650), so was already leaning towards the MT07.  I've ridden an older SV650 and wasn't terrible impressed with it though it was clearly a decent bike... But once I got into the shop and looked at the three, side by side?  Sat on them?   God, it's a sexy bike.  

On 4/24/2018 at 12:14 PM, Beemer said:

First of all, pics or it didn't happen (when you get it), ha! 2nd, this bike can make you feel 25 years younger it's so playful and eager to go. You won't be disappointed.

Picking mine up on the May 4th, and the wait has been agonizing.  I'm sure it's been worse for the guys at the dealership, though, as I'm in there every other day badgering them, and making silly requests ("Is it here yet?"  "Hey, can you guys take a couple unboxing pics for me?  Maybe a video?"  "Can I have the crate it came in?") 

"("Is it here yet?"  "Hey, can you guys take a couple unboxing pics for me?  Maybe a video?"  "Can I have the crate it came in?") "

So long as you don't post pics of burying the placenta in the garden, we will all be fine...

Congratz mate! I just purshased the exact same 2018 MT-07 last week!

I know you are probably eager to see some nice white/red colors, the lines and all...

So just for you and because it's been raining here all week here is a good shot of our reality!

!!! Spoiler Alert !!!

20180428_123110.thumb.jpg.550b76bce7b95c6d9b12190f4365a260.jpg

😆

Nah! Realy I would not tease you man... I know what you are going through. ;)

Cheers,

Wintersdark

Woohoo! 

God, the break in period is going to be a nightmare!  It so wants to *go*, particularly as you're hitting 5k rpm.

h8m42gi.jpg

juFi3td.jpg

On break in...I let the engine fully warm and ran it hard. Full power to near red line then engine brake back down to seat those rings. 

I now have excellent power.

I wish I broke my other bike in this way.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Wintersdark
3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

On break in...I let the engine fully warm and ran it hard. Full power to near red line then engine brake back down to seat those rings. 

I now have excellent power.

I wish I broke my other bike in this way.

yeeeeeeah, I've heard of people doing that, and that you can get more initial power, but I put a LOT of miles on my bikes and longevity is important to me, so I figure I'll just do what the manufacturer recommends. 

• Premium Member

Welcome to the club!  This is IMO the best FZ forum around, a truly great solid community.  @gregjet mentioned the ECU flash which people really seem to dig, if you're feeling extravagant, for another option that provides superb results check out the Hordpower filter and PC-V combo. Its boner inspiring.

Ive got a '15, I do like the additional plastics on the tail and under the headlight on these new models. Enjoy and ride safe.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived