The MT-07 Forum

DNA air filter causing redline issues around 4k RPM

wied

• Global Moderator

It may just be running very lean now you have modified both the exhaust and intake.  I assume you are running the stock ECU tune.  If that is the case I would be careful until you get it tuned correctly as running too lean can do a lot of engine damage.  

• Premium Member

im curious if automotive oil accidentally got used...that will make a clutch slip all day as well as a clutch adjustment/binding/movement is off due to removal for paint job???

the motor shouldn't rev that freely under "load" in my experience with my tuning adventures on this bike...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

34 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

im curious if automotive oil accidentally got used...that will make a clutch slip all day as well as a clutch adjustment/binding/movement is off due to removal for paint job???

the motor shouldn't rev that freely under "load" in my experience with my tuning adventures on this bike...

i've been using the same Castrol Power 1 v-twin SAE 20W-50 full synth oil since i bought it with 886 miles. again this problem never occured until after i did all the things. you could be right about some sort of binding though dude to paint..

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Key Words in red

What I am telling you is you have your clutch adjustment wrong.  per the video, as I clearly stated, you hitting redline and the sound the motor is making is a clutch that is slipping it revs far to quickly and there is no load and I can tell just by the visual of your tac.

no right i understand that part, but what i'm referring to is the part where you're saying my clutch is burnt up which is not the case.

• Premium Member

if the clutch set up all looks good, then look into electrical such as o2 on the fritz or the TPS sensor is having some issue... you can unplug the o2 and see if that helps... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I think R1 is on the right track. Your clutch may not be slipping due it being physically worn out, but it is possible the cable got knocked around, or something, and it's possibly out of adjustment or kinked/ being stretched somehow. I agree the motor does not sound loaded at all, and the tach+ gear position doesn't match the mph. The motor is definitely not transferring it's power to the back tire, for whatever reason. 

You were redlining 3rd and 4th gear and never broke 70mph. I may be off a few mph, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly that 3rd hitting the rev limiter on my bike pushed the bike over 100mph. 

+3 clutch is slipping, no doubt about it.

Check for free play in lever, set to owners manual. 

You had the clutch apart??? WHY?

Edit: you meant levers off.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

Jeez, with a problem that's that serious to you @wied I'd have brought the bike to a mechanic by now, you originally posted this on Monday, it's now Thursday. I'm all for figuring it out and doing it yourself,but you don't seem to be listening to the advice been given, just a wee bit confrontational. Take @r1limited and others advice. +4  CLUTCH IS SLIPPING  

Last comment, unless you in the desert or area where temps are between 70 and 130 F no need to run 20-50, Nothing wrong, but I believe the right oil for right conditions, a good 10-40 with NONE ENERGY CONSERVING would suffice.  If your comfortable with 20-50 Thats ok too.  But do yourself a big service, "CHECK THAT CLUTCH ARM AND CLUTCH CABLE.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Glad you got it fixed, when you say play are your reffering to cable freeplay or did the arm you took apart was not adjusted correctly resulting in the clutch being semi engaged?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

16 hours ago, r1limited said:

Glad you got it fixed, when you say play are your reffering to cable freeplay or did the arm you took apart was not adjusted correctly resulting in the clutch being semi engaged?

yup, it wasn't adjusted properly.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:49 PM, shinyribs said:

I think R1 is on the right track. Your clutch may not be slipping due it being physically worn out, but it is possible the cable got knocked around, or something, and it's possibly out of adjustment or kinked/ being stretched somehow. I agree the motor does not sound loaded at all, and the tach+ gear position doesn't match the mph. The motor is definitely not transferring it's power to the back tire, for whatever reason. 

You were redlining 3rd and 4th gear and never broke 70mph. I may be off a few mph, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly that 3rd hitting the rev limiter on my bike pushed the bike over 100mph. 

with stock gearing, 4th gear is sorta 1:1 with speed. So at the rev limiter, it's gonna be close to 100 mph in 4th. No way in 3rd. 

My Aprilia is a gear taller (it makes over 100 hp at the wheel and 50% more torque)  than the FZ and will tap out of 3rd at 95mph or so. 

Someone is gonna have to explain how too much play in the cable is gonna cause the clutch to slip. It might make shifts more difficult, but it would be no play that results in slipping. 

Just wanted to say to the OP

YOU ARE
Welcome

Archived