botticelli

FZ07R is the R6 Front End swap worth it?

Late to the party but just my 2 cents....  Have a 2016 I picked up recently.  Had OEM forks with NIX22 cartridges.  Ohlins on the rear.   This is a track/race only bike.  It was "OK".  Feedback from the front when you started pushing in the corners was not confidence inspiring.  Bike wanted to push wide after apex and/or front end chatter.  Tested it at NJMP, Road Atlanta and PIRC.  Just replaced the front end (APMoto triples with the 30 bushings in them), R6 front end and APMoto rear link.  Bike is a completely different animal now.  Geometry much better and it's light, nimble and predictable no matter how much you push it in the corners.  The original forks with NIX22's I'm now selling.  They are awesome for the street and capable of track duty but the offset triples with the longer front end have made it a very different machine.  IMHO it all depends on what you want to do.  No "right" answer.  More of a pick the solution that best matches your goal and your budget.

2 hours ago, wmhjr said:

Had OEM forks with NIX22 cartridges.  Ohlins on the rear.   This is a track/race only bike.  It was "OK".  Feedback from the front when you started pushing in the corners was not confidence inspiring.  Bike wanted to push wide after apex and/or front end chatter.

valving and oil changes would likely have helped... That AP rear link also changes the bike geometry a LOT.

30 minutes ago, pattonme said:

valving and oil changes would likely have helped... That AP rear link also changes the bike geometry a LOT.

The NIX setup was prepped, however it's very possible that more changes to it could have made it better.  And to be clear, it was not bad.  If somebody is looking for a street/light track setup it's great.  However, the geometry change on the front end in particular I think made a world of difference.  I don't believe just valving and oil would have made a huge difference on the tendency to push from apex when hard on the throttle.  That's a geometry issue.  Not a preload/damping/rebound issue.  Changing the rake with the offset triples combined with the rear link was likely a far bigger factor in the improvement - and the difference is huge.  Frankly, I just decided I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, and with the FZ being a much less "experienced" platform than the SV, it made sense to go with what is working well in MA.  I'd also agree that if you're just talking about doing the R6 fork swap without the offset triples, then the difference isn't likely going to be the same as what I experienced.  Yeah, you get better brake calipers.  But I don't think the 50mm forks being more rigid would make that much of a difference unless you offset the rake.   JMHO.

Im thinking the same 

what are the pros and cons of each  set up

stock forks with ohlins or ketch internals

or stock r6 front end 

and what kind or work will I need to get that job done?

The way I have taken it is there are a few options

1. Stock 07 front end

2. Stock 07 front end with new internals ohlins, ktech etc

3. Swap for R6 forks

3A. fork internals( R6 stock vs upgraded)

3B. triple(stock vs AP)

On 4/19/2018 at 9:17 AM, scratchpad said:

Like Zoran said our bike performs well on OEM forks with cartridges. Stock MC works well and never fades in a race, i do have crg adjustable levers and galfer lines. I did put some fancy fluid (castrol srf) in there after the first 2 years of racing it. Far more important than what you put in/on there is who does it and what advice your given. 

I'm glad to hear that...my old SV650 MC wasn't nearly as nice as a Nissin racing MC...but I was just doing trackdays...and not limited by rules. Nice to hear that the Yamaha hardware isn't too shabby!