botticelli

FZ07R is the R6 Front End swap worth it?

TenRacing
On 4/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, foss said:

My thoughts....from a race only perspective. I have one with stock forks and ktech cartridges and R6 forks with stock cartridges on the other. I don't recommend going R6 if you plan to keep internals stock. With more tuning I think I can get the stock R6 to perform as good as FZ with the ktech, but I don't think it will ever exceed it. My suspension guy agrees. More of the reason for going R6 is better brakes (completely unnecessary if you ask me) and having access to more parts like used wheels and rotors if you need replacements. With FZ parts becoming more readily available all the time, I don't see a lot of benefit. 

Hit me up if in the end you decide you want to go R6. I might be interested in getting rid of mine with aftermarket rim and rotors.

did you ever sell the R6 front end?

TenRacing

from what i've learned so far... I am just starting a race build on a 17 FZ07.  

The trouble point is not enough trail when you get the link in the rear to get the geometry to race bike specs.  

A custom set of trees for the stock forks may be the best way to go.  

mossrider
Just now, TenRacing said:

from what i've learned so far... I am just starting a race build on a 17 FZ07.  

The trouble point is not enough trail when you get the link in the rear to get the geometry to race bike specs.  

A custom set of trees for the stock forks may be the best way to go.  

Don't fall for all the 'gotta have a slipper clutch, r6 forks, diff tripples, better brakes, r6 wheels, blah blah' bs from the peanut gallery.

An r6 fork is an upgrade but it brings its own problems. It'll work but requires more work to make it work like the stock front already does. Its not as simple as swapping tubes as you already know. If it were folks wouldnt need the r6 fork extenders, custom tripples, special tuning set ups blah blah. Its too stiff for the stock chassis and upsets the geometry when pushed hard. Upgrade the stock forks, let em flex with the rest of the bike as it was engineered to and it'll haul ass.

As far as brakes; I don't understand why some folks think they need R1 brakes on a bike with 100 less hp and a top speed down 50 some mph. AsIde from not being radially mounted the 07 has the same spec calipers as the R6 but with different rotors.  Put ss lines on it and good pads and the brakes de-haul ass.

Wheels; we've recently weighed and found that r6 wheels are only 3 lbs per pair lighter than 07 wheels. 

As mentioned several other places throughout this forum my bike does have AP's link. I also run an after market shock at 12 9/16" eye to eye. I run my forks up 8mm in the stock tripples. I have a simple set of carts in them. I've never had so much as a twitch from the front due to geometry. Of course i can get it to run wide on corner exit when I reef in throttle on a hot sticky 180/60 but i can also feel the frame and the swingarm flex to keep traction and it hauls. I can also feel the forks and frame flex when i twist its head down into a corner hard on the brakes. So what?, it's not an M1 but geometry is close enough for expert level club racing.

You need an R6 front end to go fast. I call bs. 

I'll admit r6 stuff is higher spec than fz stuff but we're talking about an inexpensive lightweight/twins class bike. You can't just bolt on 1 higher spec part w/o affecting the rest of the package.

I'm just tired of getting accosted by every racer trying to justify their want of upside down forks. 

End rant.

😉

• Like 5

foss
13 hours ago, TenRacing said:

did you ever sell the R6 front end?

I don't have the wheel anymore, but still have a set of forks. 

blackout
10 hours ago, mossrider said:

Don't fall for all the 'gotta have a slipper clutch, r6 forks, diff tripples, better brakes, r6 wheels, blah blah' bs from the peanut gallery.

An r6 fork is an upgrade but it brings its own problems. It'll work but requires more work to make it work like the stock front already does. Its not as simple as swapping tubes as you already know. If it were folks wouldnt need the r6 fork extenders, custom tripples, special tuning set ups blah blah. Its too stiff for the stock chassis and upsets the geometry when pushed hard. Upgrade the stock forks, let em flex with the rest of the bike as it was engineered to and it'll haul ass.

As far as brakes; I don't understand why some folks think they need R1 brakes on a bike with 100 less hp and a top speed down 50 some mph. AsIde from not being radially mounted the 07 has the same spec calipers as the R6 but with different rotors.  Put ss lines on it and good pads and the brakes de-haul ass.

Wheels; we've recently weighed and found that r6 wheels are only 3 lbs per pair lighter than 07 wheels. 

As mentioned several other places throughout this forum my bike does have AP's link. I also run an after market shock at 12 9/16" eye to eye. I run my forks up 8mm in the stock tripples. I have a simple set of carts in them. I've never had so much as a twitch from the front due to geometry. Of course i can get it to run wide on corner exit when I reef in throttle on a hot sticky 180/60 but i can also feel the frame and the swingarm flex to keep traction and it hauls. I can also feel the forks and frame flex when i twist its head down into a corner hard on the brakes. So what?, it's not an M1 but geometry is close enough for expert level club racing.

I'll admit r6 stuff is higher spec than fz stuff but we're talking about an inexpensive lightweight/twins class bike. You can't just bolt on 1 higher spec part w/o affecting the rest of the package.

I'm just tired of getting accosted by every racer trying to justify their want of upside down forks. 

End rant.

😉

Glad you are here to keep me from spending money I don't have!  lol

mossrider
Just now, blackout said:

Glad you are here to keep me from spending money I don't have!  lol

Other than the cool factor on a street fz there is no reason or need for the conversion. Dont get me wrong, cool is good, but expensive.

On a race bike it's really not the improvement in suspension performance as it is access to spare parts, the pits are rife with r6 parts. That and the ability to use quick change parts, improved durability and better hardware make life a little easier off track.

Just my opinion

fishtaco
On 2/7/2019 at 8:12 PM, mossrider said:

End rant.

😉

I needed to hear this, thanks for the good info and insight.

• Like 1